Hugh Millen making good points on KJR

Seeker

Reaction score
Says russel's slump is from being asked to throw only in situations where its obvious we are passing (3rd and long, 2 and impossible after a penalty, etc)

This does seem to make sense because we are struggling on third downs as well.
Should we pass more on first down?

willyum

Reaction score
yea i would like to see Bevell be more creative with Russel

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Easy answer: Yes. But I don't buy into the Russell slump theory too much. I think they are playing for the lead and then going ultra conservative on offense to avoid mistakes. The defense is that good.

I do agree with most fans though.. The plan of run, run, pass, punt is pretty damn annoying.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is some of the playcalling on 3rd down. 3rd down is everything and we haven't been able to execute on that down.

There've been a ton of times we'd run it twice and now it's 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4. and we then line up with an emptyback 4-5 WR sets. To me this is weird, it seems like we rarely utliyze the I-Formation or jumbo sets in 3rd and short. Which to me limits the opportunities available. Obviously 4 WR sets and empty backfield means that 90% of the time it's a pass. Instead of having the run/pass option in the big sets.

Two biggest things on offense A) Need to convert close to 40% on 3rd down, and B) Need to be more efficient in the redzone. Far to often we are settling for Field goals and not punching it into the endzones. Last game we only had 2 TD's and 3 FG's. If say we turned that into 3-TD's, and 2 FG's than they game is completely over and there is no drama at the end.

Similarly on defense we need to hold them to FG's, keep them out of the endzone. Which we've done all year. And FOR THE LOVE OF PETE- don't let them block a punt like they've done the last 2 outings.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think most anything Millen says is bullshit and he's still pissed he didn't get his own QB as a starter.

:141847_bnono:

Basis4day

Reaction score
All they need to do is not commit penalties and catch the ball when it hits you in the chest. The offense works when that happens.
No need to throw more to pad stats or make fans feel good about themselves.

Run the offense, make plays, win games. Period.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me it's play calling more than it's Russell. I may even go as far as suggesting we've been playing not to lose lately...A more conservative, running game approach where it takes Russell's organic/natural talent out of a lot of the calls, putting him in more predictable passing situations that are easier for the defense to read and adjust to.

My two pennies.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
This is what I said about Wilson at the start of last season.

we were so careful with him throwing the ball that we would only ever let him throw it when a pass was the only legitimate common sense option.

(for everone saying blah blah Wilson is throwing poorly, please don't bring up the last game - his throws were not spot on but he was erring on the side of incompletions over turnovers - he needs to hit those slants that's about it)

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The Radish":1jqf723v said:
I think most anything Millen says is bullshit and he's still pissed he didn't get his own QB as a starter.

He definitely held out for Flynn longer than almost anyone, but I don't think its reasonable to entirely dismiss his analysis of QB play because of it. He clearly is tremendously knowledgeable and is able to articulate his points quite well. I mean, he played QB for years and is a really smart guy. He can come off as somewhat arrogant at times and we all may not agree with every opinion he's had, but you can definitely learn something about QB play and football in general by listening to him.

I heard this segment today and I thought it was really interesting and I think he makes a really good point about the playcalling.

Throwdown

Reaction score
For once I actually agree with Millen.

We might be the most predictable 3rd down team in the history of forever.

Largent80

Reaction score
I dunno. When I watched the game again yesterday I saw a lone D lineman make Russ throw the ball away, and this is a typical play where he makes the guy look silly. He did hit Harvin and Tate in the hands and they dropped his passes though. As has been discussed over and over, it is playing with a lead and playing defense.

OP
OP
Seeker

Seeker

Reaction score
Random thought but how has seahawk kid (dancing in ATL) not become our national rallying cry here. he should have been the new Tanzania.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I agree with Millen to a point. But for me, I really feel like he has been asked/told to not scramble and run like he was earlier in the season when he was getting beaten up so badly in a few of our games. This has fundamentally changed his game and made Wilson less effective as a PASSER. I would like to see the coaches tell Wilson, "OK Russell, do your thing...it's ok to take the shots, run,scramble, make plays with your feet and arm and win the next two games."

JonRud

Reaction score
2000 Ravens won their playoff games 21-3, 24-10, 16-3 and 34-7.

2002 Bucs won their playoff games 31-6, 27-10 and 48-21.

The other team can't win if they can't score.

seahawksny

Reaction score
problem isnt play calling on third and 2. Its the plays that GET US to third and 2.. We are running too much on 1st and 2nd.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
jlwaters1":13m1v0b4 said:
I think part of the problem is some of the playcalling on 3rd down. 3rd down is everything and we haven't been able to execute on that down.

There've been a ton of times we'd run it twice and now it's 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4. and we then line up with an emptyback 4-5 WR sets. To me this is weird, it seems like we rarely utliyze the I-Formation or jumbo sets in 3rd and short. Which to me limits the opportunities available. Obviously 4 WR sets and empty backfield means that 90% of the time it's a pass. Instead of having the run/pass option in the big sets.

Two biggest things on offense A) Need to convert close to 40% on 3rd down, and B) Need to be more efficient in the redzone. Far to often we are settling for Field goals and not punching it into the endzones. Last game we only had 2 TD's and 3 FG's. If say we turned that into 3-TD's, and 2 FG's than they game is completely over and there is no drama at the end.

Similarly on defense we need to hold them to FG's, keep them out of the endzone. Which we've done all year. And FOR THE LOVE OF PETE- don't let them block a punt like they've done the last 2 outings.
This. On 3rd and short, it's not "being conservative" to liine up with an empty backfield. Play action would work a lot better if you kept the defense guessing in those situations, which means you actually have to run it from time to time and you have to line up like you might run it even when you don't.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The Radish":22wwkev5 said:

Hell yeah Les! I value Millen's opinion about as much as I value Dilfer's Hair care tips, or Harbaugh's wardrobe advice.

IMO the passing game reflects Bevell's (or Pete's) estimation of the receivers he has available, and the relative health of each. When your entire receiving corps is battered and banged up its foolish to expect them to out-sprint or out-maneuver the defense all game long. I think the pass calling reflects this. Wilson will come good, he always has. Believe that. :179422:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would have to say that Millen's take is overly simplistic and panders to fans who second guess in the "I knew shoulda ran/thrown, but we didn't" snapshot of single plays.

I'm not saying Russell hasn't been put into tough situations. But he has had some failures to execute easy reads, Seattle's penalties always seem to come at the worst times, and there have been some play calls that are tough to explain as well.

Lets not forget Seattle was an interception and a single red zone pass away from winning 27-7. The way Russell has executed at QB has played a role in recent weeks.

I'm definitely not giving Bevell, or his boss Pete, a free pass on our offensive woes, I have some fundamental problems with their philosophies, but there have been plenty of execution errors recently to go with those issues.