Hugh Millen making good points on KJR

marko358

Reaction score
Fur such a good running team I'm baffled at how infrequently we use play action.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Basis4day":2jnefnml said:
All they need to do is not commit penalties and catch the ball when it hits you in the chest. The offense works when that happens.
No need to throw more to pad stats or make fans feel good about themselves.

Run the offense, make plays, win games. Period.

The more I read about What's wrong with the offense, the more I'm convinced it's 90% execution. Some of the poor execution can be handed out to the Oline, some the WR's and some to Russell.

We don't need different plays called. We don't need to throw 30 passes. To win this game convincingly we only need to execute better on 4 or 5 more plays than we did against the Saints.

SC

Scottemojo

Reaction score
marko358":1odnmpnb said:
Fur such a good running team I'm baffled at how infrequently we use play action.
Led the league in percentage of play action passes. Fact.

Axx

Reaction score
so teams are starting to catch onto bevells run run pass punt philosophy?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":3usbcb1j said:
Need to NOT HOLD on a 33 yard run.

That was a bullshit call. Breno had his hand on the guy's ribcage and was not pulling fabric away from the body. Inside the pads, no obvious pulling I'm sure Pete sent that one in as it was ticky tack and could be called on all 5 offensive linemen on every single play.

As to Hugh Millen, I think he's wrong. It's because Pete wants Bevell to "play to the defense." Those are Pete's own words and he tells Darrell that during the game once we have a lead.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Largent80":193xzidp said:
Need to NOT HOLD on a 33 yard run.
yep or at least not get caught. I can't think of a single long run this season where we didn't draw a hold.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Throwdown":hrxd0w75 said:
For once I actually agree with Millen.

We might be the most predictable 3rd down team in the history of forever.

It seems like this year, we're totally vanilla on offense. Not only with play calling in general but situationally as well. Last year it seemed like we were always doing something tricky (WR passes, etc.).

Maybe it's playing with a lead. Maybe it's the defense being that much better than last year. Maybe Pete is so confident in this team and the talent that he's holding all his cards until the NFCCG and the Superbowl.

Largent80

Reaction score
If it was a bullshit call or not, when I looked at it on replay, both players were guilty so it would offset if called correctly. So, it still negates a 33 yard run.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":rjq7dle5 said:
You guys should check out some of the article here about the subject, they have done a lot of analysis n the subject

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/1/14/530 ... el-like-it

I couldn't agree more. It's exactly what I've thought watching the last half of the season.

You could see it as the O and RW are in a slump but given how they played in other games, it really feels like they are holding back.

I thought it was because they were saving their playbook or adjusting for when Rice went out but this makes more sense.

PC likes playing the odds. It's not pretty but it gets results.

I expect them to open up a little more this Sunday because they need to in order defeat the whiners and they are also one step closer to the SB but not expecting an offensive clinic either.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":3r1r57u8 said:
To me it's play calling more than it's Russell. I may even go as far as suggesting we've been playing not to lose lately...A more conservative, running game approach where it takes Russell's organic/natural talent out of a lot of the calls, putting him in more predictable passing situations that are easier for the defense to read and adjust to.

My two pennies.

I don't think it is the play calling. I see our problem as failing to execute the plays called, especially on 3rd down.

Dropped passes, bad throws, poor blocking...The play calls seem to get guys in the right position and then one or more of those three things is happening more often than not. That's not a play calling issue. The guys are in position to make a play happen. They just aren't doing it.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It seems like third and mediums often end up with an incomplete deep pass (or an amazing, low percentage, toe tapping sideline catch).

How about just getting what's needed for the first down, occasionally? Rather than trying to pick up 25 on a 3rd and 5.

Whose fault? Partially Russ, partially Bevell, partially receivers, and partially an oline that can't hold up very long.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think if Wilson would actually complete the slant plays already called and Percy stays in a whole game this is a complete non-issue.

justafan

Reaction score
People make the mistake of taking someones word as to what really was called on sequences during the game or even make the mistake of how they feel it happened without going back and looking at drive charts or play by play.
Sometimes it feels like they throw every first down sometimes it feels like they run every first down and the mix is usually pretty good.Pete will always have a run oriented team so people might want to get used to it.I love it myself.

plyka

Reaction score
Aros":1djq5ija said:
To me it's play calling more than it's Russell. I may even go as far as suggesting we've been playing not to lose lately...A more conservative, running game approach where it takes Russell's organic/natural talent out of a lot of the calls, putting him in more predictable passing situations that are easier for the defense to read and adjust to.

My two pennies.

I agree. No one is requesting Russell throws it 50 times per game. We are asking for an offense which is efficient and can control the ball, and time possession. And like most problems it's never just one thing.

Bevell is the most to blame. His play calling is always sub par. He has benefited in the past due to Wilson and his ability. The offense would stall in the past as well, but Wilson would bust out a 27 yard run, or convert a great play due to his ability to innovate. That's missing because defenses have changed. They will sacrifice a rush in order to contain Wilson. The niners at all times have a spy on Wilson, Ahmad brooks in the last game would automatically take Wilson on any fake.

The second issue is Pete's ideology, his ultra conservative play not to lose attitude.

The third problem is Russell. Even taking the above two points into consideration Wilson can still be efficient. He had not been.

KK84

Reaction score
I don't want to hear anything from Millen until I see photographic or video evidence that he has in fact eaten his mic.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I feel like with other teams, they usually try to get another first down on their second down. I feel like for us, it ALWAYS comes down to third down. Would like to see RW pass on more first or second down situations. I would also like to #24 in more often when RW is going to pass rather than #22. All I know is damnit those receivers need to do some more preparation for their separation, and maybe RW can fix whatever the hell is going on in the passing game.

plyka

Reaction score
minormillikin":1997v5r3 said:
It seems like third and mediums often end up with an incomplete deep pass (or an amazing, low percentage, toe tapping sideline catch).

How about just getting what's needed for the first down, occasionally? Rather than trying to pick up 25 on a 3rd and 5.

Whose fault? Partially Russ, partially Bevell, partially receivers, and partially an oline that can't hold up very long.

I would not blame it on the oline. If one group on this offense has actually stepped UP their game over the last 5 weeks, it's the offensive line. They have been playing outstanding compared to earlier in the season.

Wilson has had time. The oline has been making holes for Lynch. I'm not sure how you can blame them for anything. A large portion of a sack/pressure is the QB. Manning gets the ball out of his hands in a little over 2 seconds. Wilson I believe, without looking up the stat once again, was one of the QBs with the longest time holding the ball before a pass.

Latest posts