Hugh Millen making good points on KJR

Happypuppy

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ay8vmhu said:
As to Hugh Millen, I think he's wrong. It's because Pete wants Bevell to "play to the defense." Those are Pete's own words and he tells Darrell that during the game once we have a lead.

We have a winner. Its PC; he is ultra conservative and it shows in offense. He plays to let the other team try to score against the D.

At best I would term the offense opportunistic. If you want to see where PC is coming from, look back to the old Miami Dolphins. The undefeated team that Bob Geese would throw 12 times a game.

It was hand the ball to csonka almost every play. The similarities are striking

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I blame the deck being stacked against this offense before it snaps the most.

Sure, execution is huge, but given the looks we give defenses on third down, I can understand our inefficiency. Bevell is just not complimenting this teams matchups with defenses and losing the numbers battle.

Most of our third down looks are atrocious, given we have all but phased out the TE and FB from the passing game, most likely to maximize protection on RW. With only 1 or 2 WRs and our TE's inline, we do not spread the defense or force them to abandon their base defenses. Why don't we EVER go with a 3 to 4 wide look with a RB in the backfield, invite defenses to stop the Beast or Turbin with nickel and dime packages?

The only time we do spread defenses is out of the empty set, and that just takes RWs greatest advantage, play action, right off the table, allowing almost an immediate full out pressure fest on RW.

With the decline in true Read Options being run by Seattle, we are just automatically conceding the numbers and space game to the defense and letting them attack us from a position of strength, and execution has dropped because you can only hide such stupidity for so long.

RW is not 100%, nobody is this time of year, and he has been battered all year long. PC wants conservatism and no turnovers if we are leading, fine with me. It's Bevell's literal job to scheme us into winning these chess matches with defenses. There's no reason we can't change up formations and make other team's DC's earn their money to 3 and out us, with the personnel we have.

It's made me ill to see so many teams thwart an easy third down because Bevell rolls over lets them play goal line defense, near ignoring the field behind them.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Aros":1owx5s84 said:
To me it's play calling more than it's Russell. I may even go as far as suggesting we've been playing not to lose lately...A more conservative, running game approach where it takes Russell's organic/natural talent out of a lot of the calls, putting him in more predictable passing situations that are easier for the defense to read and adjust to.

My two pennies.

This recent style of play calling brings back terrible flashbacks of Holmgren's offense. Remember 3 and whatever and it was always a draw play to Mack? Frustrating as hell.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Hawks46":1832vmfu said:
Maybe Pete is so confident in this team and the talent that he's holding all his cards until the NFCCG and the Superbowl.

It feels like that to me.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
We can talk all day about execution, but when you get the subject-matter experts, Holmgren among them, saying that our play calling is way too predictable, there has to be a point where you stop giving the OC and coaches a free pass by putting everything on the players.

If you tell somebody to run through a brick wall and they bounce off of it, do you dismiss that as poor execution? We are too easy to figure out, period. We have some bread and butter plays the some team aren't capable of stopping even though they know they are coming, but the predictability makes it that much easier for D's that have the right makeup to stop us.

General Manager

Reaction score
Largent80":3tlubchr said:
Need to NOT HOLD on a 33 yard run.

That wasn't a hold and the refs could call a penalty on every play , this notion that you can control what the refs call on the field is a myth.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lady Talon":de3zhsfp said:

Sure, execution is huge, but given the looks we give defenses on third down, I can understand our inefficiency. Bevell is just not complimenting this teams matchups with defenses and losing the numbers battle.

Most of our third down looks are atrocious, given we have all but phased out the TE and FB from the passing game, most likely to maximize protection on RW. With only 1 or 2 WRs and our TE's inline, we do not spread the defense or force them to abandon their base defenses. Why don't we EVER go with a 3 to 4 wide look with a RB in the backfield, invite defenses to stop the Beast or Turbin with nickel and dime packages?

The only time we do spread defenses is out of the empty set, and that just takes RWs greatest advantage, play action, right off the table, allowing almost an immediate full out pressure fest on RW.

With the decline in true Read Options being run by Seattle, we are just automatically conceding the numbers and space game to the defense and letting them attack us from a position of strength, and execution has dropped because you can only hide such stupidity for so long.

RW is not 100%, nobody is this time of year, and he has been battered all year long. PC wants conservatism and no turnovers if we are leading, fine with me. It's Bevell's literal job to scheme us into winning these chess matches with defenses. There's no reason we can't change up formations and make other team's DC's earn their money to 3 and out us, with the personnel we have.

It's made me ill to see so many teams thwart an easy third down because Bevell rolls over lets them play goal line defense, near ignoring the field behind them.

Awesomeness.

General Manager

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2ck9o9sd said:

I agree the empty backfield formation isn't the kind of Offense I would employ.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeker":28jiteeo said:
Says russel's slump is from being asked to throw only in situations where its obvious we are passing (3rd and long, 2 and impossible after a penalty, etc)

This does seem to make sense because we are struggling on third downs as well.
Should we pass more on first down?

I've been saying this for a month.

Russell's not in a slump, he's being asked to be perfect on 3rd downs, which is impossible. When everyone in the stadium knows he's passing on 3rd and 6 the deck's stacked against him.

FREE RUSSELL!!!!!!

Latest posts