49ers averaging nearly 100 more yards per game recently...

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I posted this in another thread first but this stat is such an eye popper for me I'm gonna go ahead and make a new thread just for this one little point.

My other thread post:

For all those who just blindly assume Seahawks offense is superior to 49ers and there's no way our offense could cause us to lose...

Here are the total offensive yards for both teams over the last 4 games for Seahawks and 49ers in order of most recent:

Seahawks:

277-269-192-327 = Average 266.25 yards/game

49ers:

315-381-375-379 = Average 362.5 yards/game

So the 49ers are averaging about 100 yards more per game than us recently on offense...

That also includes 3 home games for Hawks and 3 away games for 49ers!

I don't want to go into defensive stats but their offense is clearly doing much better than us and our concerns of our lack of offensive production are realistic and legit.

Not saying we are gonna lose the game or anything but I AM VERY concerned about our offense doing enough to win these last 2 games. Not saying we can't do it, but our potential is a lot higher than our production which is a huge problem.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Defense Wins Championships.

All our offense needs to do is score more points than what we give up.

How many yards the Seahawks get or give up doesn't really matter as long as they have more points than the other team.

A team could drive it 99 yards but only get 3 points out of it.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Ouch these ESPN guys blasting us so hard:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

The "First Look: Conference Title Games" video

Their first quote on us:

"I haven't done the same film study you have Jaws, but I don't need to be in the film room to tell you guys that the Seattle Offense is broken."

"Absolutely."

"They have become one dimensional and you can't win a Super Bowl title being a one dimensional offense. The one dimension that is working is obviously is Marshawn Lynch running the ball exceptionally well."

Wow I usually take the talking heads with a grain of salt but they really blasting us down the toilet here. And the sad thing is our running game hasn't even been good lately down about 20 yards a game on average since last season :(

They say more but nothing good...

Sac

Reaction score
They're right. Our last 4 games have been at home, 3 against division opponents, plus the Saints.

They have played us, and AZ as common opponents. They've been in the road.

Their offense is getting it done, and keeping their defense rested. Those extra yards do matter even if they don't add up to points.

It's making me nervous.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Crabtree opens things up for them. If Harvin can play he should do the same for us.

themunn

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":24igvjih said:
They're right. Our last 4 games have been at home, 3 against division opponents, plus the Saints.

Their offense is getting it done, and keeping their defense rested. Those extra yards do matter even if they don't add up to points.

It's making me nervous.

No, our last 3 games have been against the Saints, Rams, Cardinals and Giants
The 49ers have played the Panthers, Packers, Cardinals and Falcons.

And our defense has allowed an average of 209.6 net yards per game (409+158+307+181), 10.25 points (0+17+9+15) and forcing an average of 3 turnovers per game.
Meanwhile, the Niners have allowed an average of 345.75 net yards per game (402+375+281+325), 18.5 points per game, and have forced just 6 turnovers.

They might be ahead of us offensively, but they aren't even close when it comes to defense - and considering over a quarter of those yards we allowed (268) were in the tail end of the third and 4th quarter on Saturday, and came thanks to either fluked bobble passes or us allowing NO the middle of the field to drive down the clock, it's safe to say we are WORLDS apart when it comes to defense

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Our offense is a liability right now, no doubt about it. If they don't make a 180 next week (Bevell, I'm looking at you, pal, and Russ, can't miss those slants, man), it's going to be a long offseason.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TWhat has San Fran done against the #1 Defense this year?

They've scored 22 points.

Seahawks scored 44 off of them (not including the safety).

What exactly am should I be afraid of?

TO LOSE?

If the Seahawks do, SO WHAT, I go back to my life, and I'll be ALL IN next year.

The Lombardi is the ultimate prize for a football team, but I'm an unselfish person, I'm just satisfied with continued improvement from last year and doing it in a tougher Division, the best of 2013. Doing it with tougher travel schedule that had the Seahawks playing three pairs of back to back Road Games and five 10 am starts. You know what the Seahawks did, go 6-2. Doing it with one of the biggest targets on their backs not just from opponents trying to out physical us but by the league, the refs, and general fans everywhere. Doing through the adversity of numerous injuries, suspensions, and the Harvin distraction that could have sank this team to the bottom but the team is too damn stubborn, too damn resilient, too damn good to give in and give up.

They are easily one of the most competitive teams I've seen from a local team in an entire decade. They haven't lost by more than a TD in 43 straight games. In 2 and half season the Seahawks are 5-3, 12-6, 14-3 or 31-12. 12 losses by 7 points or less. 12 losses with a total point differential of just 52 points (3 for 11, 6 for 26, 3 for 15) or just 4.33 points per loss.

And because of that I don't care how great the big bad 49ers team seems. I just have the utmost faith in my 'Hawks to take care of business and if they don't I know they'll be back next year working harder to get that Championship.

Jac

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2sgecpwx said:
TWhat has San Fran done against the #1 Defense this year?

They've scored 22 points.

Seahawks scored 44 off of them (not including the safety).

What exactly am should I be afraid of?

TO LOSE?

If the Seahawks do, SO WHAT, I go back to my life, and I'll be ALL IN next year.

The Lombardi is the ultimate prize for a football team, but I'm an unselfish person, I'm just satisfied with continued improvement from last year and doing it in a tougher Division, the best of 2013. Doing it with tougher travel schedule that had the Seahawks playing three pairs of back to back Road Games and five 10 am starts. You know what the Seahawks did, go 6-2. Doing it with one of the biggest targets on their backs not just from opponents trying to out physical us but by the league, the refs, and general fans everywhere. Doing through the adversity of numerous injuries, suspensions, and the Harvin distraction that could have sank this team to the bottom but the team is too damn stubborn, too damn resilient, too damn good to give in and give up.

They are easily one of the most competitive teams I've seen from a local team in an entire decade. They haven't lost by more than a TD in 43 straight games. In 2 and half season the Seahawks are 5-3, 12-6, 14-3 or 31-12. 12 losses by 7 points or less. 12 losses with a total point differential of just 52 points (3 for 11, 6 for 26, 3 for 15) or just 4.33 points per loss.

And because of that I don't care how great the big bad 49ers team seems. I just have the utmost faith in my 'Hawks to take care of business and if they don't I know they'll be back next year working harder to get that Championship.

Yes, that's exactly the perspective I have. This is a great opportunity, but we're not coming to the end of our window. John Schneider will continue replenishing and re-tooling this roster, Russell Wilson will spend an offseason adjusting for the adjustments made to counter him, and we'll be in the hunt again. Just like the perennial contenders are. I desperately want to win this year, but I'm keeping perspective that this is a franchise that has figured it out.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
What the Hell Ever.

I said it 10 times earlier. The coverage will be all about the awesomeness of the Niners and the futility of the Hawks. No one will give the Hawks credit for anything.

Then there will be those who just talk stats, things that aren't tangible or show the real picture.

I don’t have to look at stats or the stat loving media to know that the Hawks are going to suck the life out of the Niners on both sides of the ball come Sunday. The Hawks don't have to make a 180 on offense, they just need to complete three maybe four more passes and they will be on a tear.

Remember just a few weeks ago when the Hawks went into SF, you know, the hottest team in the NFL? The king shit QB Kaeperstank? Up until the single long Gore run the Hawks had out gained and most importantly outscored the Mighty Niners in their house. That with a crap non turnover that saved a Niner drive and kept the ball from the Hawks well within FG range. I won't mention the 80 yards of offense called back. Russell was 15/25 for 199 and no picks until the last hail Mary in that game. The Hawks were 10% better than the Niners were in that game on 3rd down. That was in SF.

The week prior, Russell had his best game of the season, but per the Hawks coaching, they did what they always do, they ran out the clock in their 22 minute offense. There was a game in NY, where the Hawks shut out the Giants, another balanced game and high rating, then the Rams game. 15/23 for 172, another balanced game. So that leaves the AZ game, the real stinker of a game to make some argument that the offense is just soooo bad.

I don't remember the Hawks having ANY troubles moving the ball against Atlanta, part of the Niners "hot" streak and the OPs sample size The Niners put up nearly 370 yards of offense on those teams. The Hawks? 490 and that was on the road.

So paint that picture pretty, because all the hype and belief that RW is having so much trouble while CK is SO hot is about to get destroyed.

Just remember that the media believes that RW sucks right now and that CK is walking on water. So get ready to hear it all.

BestInTheWest

Reaction score
I think it's true unfortunately. Wilson has looked anything but good when you keep him in the pocket. He's not comfortable in there and often has a hard time hitting his throws with the slightest amount of pressure. His pocket presence and footwork is still a work in progress. If 49ers can keep him bottled up, we are in a world of trouble. If Wilson can do what he does and get out on the edges then we have a legit shot at winning.

It's the opposite for Kapernick though. You get him scrambling and he loses his accuracy. You let him sit in the pocket and let the play develop he will find and hit the open guy. You get pressure on him he will get happy feet and leave the pocket early. Unlike RW, he is not as spectacular at throwing on the run and finding an open guy.

Both QB's have their weekness's. Both defenses are spectacular. I personally have no clue who is going to win this but am a little more worried about Kapernick. I know we as fans don't like to give the guy any credit, but he's played better against much better defenses. Saints defense isn't bad, but 100 yards against them and 16 points has me really worried. 49ers have a much better defense nearly at every position. We will have to put up more than 16 against these guys and I'm worried we cant. Kapernick on the other hand has shown he can put up 20+ on good defenses like Carolina. That gives them a slight edge, but I think our defense has the slight edge to balance that out.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
Hes right. All we can do it run right now. No ones worried about our recievers getting lucky every once in awhile. I hope tate has anothe rone of THOSE angry games

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Tokadub":2m0zngnr said:
So I posted this in another thread first but this stat is such an eye popper for me I'm gonna go ahead and make a new thread just for this one little point.

My other thread post:

For all those who just blindly assume Seahawks offense is superior to 49ers and there's no way our offense could cause us to lose...

Here are the total offensive yards for both teams over the last 4 games for Seahawks and 49ers in order of most recent:

Seahawks:

277-269-192-327 = Average 266.25 yards/game

49ers:

381-315-375-379 = Average 362.5 yards/game

So the 49ers are averaging about 100 yards more per game than us recently on offense...

That also includes 3 home games for Hawks and 3 away games for 49ers!

I don't want to go into defensive stats but their offense is clearly doing much better than us and our concerns of our lack of offensive production are realistic and legit.

Not saying we are gonna lose the game or anything but I AM VERY concerned about our offense doing enough to win these last 2 games. Not saying we can't do it, but our potential is a lot higher than our production which is a huge problem.
If it makes you feel any better, this is our WEIGHTED DVOA per Football Outsiders:

Seattle: 43.7%
SF: 21.4%

Weighted DVOA puts more emphasis on recent games than earlier ones. If you're unfamiliar with what DVOA means, it is a metric that measures the efficiency of each play. Raw yardage figures are misleading. A team that consistently gets the ball in better field position is not going to put up long drives for points all the time. Also, a team that consistently gets 1st down plays of 4-5 yards, second down plays of at least half the distance to a first down, 3rd down plays that result in first downs, is more successful than a team that once in a while racks up a 15 yard gain, but punts more often or goes away without a score because they can't sustain the drive.

What our weighted DVOA says about the Hawks is they're a MUCH better team recently than SF has been.

Offensively, our DVOA is 9.4%, SF's is 9.1%.

So what people have been saying is true: our defense is incredibly dominant and too many people are worrying over imaginary offensive woes. In case people haven't noticed, we scored just as many points as SF did. The game is decided on points, not on raw yardage, which most of our opponents are getting after the game is out of reach. They're shut down throughout most of the game until then.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
2euobxz

Nothing before Sunday January 19th at 3:30 PST that has been achieved between these two teams in the past matters.
We both made it to this point, whether it be by one point or a thousand, help from zebras or not, wind, rain, or ice.

It will be a great contest! I beleive will emerge victoriously.

It's us man, in our house!!!!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
tom sawyer":1qj7xyo2 said:
2euobxz

Nothing before Sunday January 19th at 3:30 PST that has been achieved between these two teams in the past matters.
We both made it to this point, whether it be by one point or a thousand, help from zebras or not, wind, rain, or ice.

It will be a great contest! I beleive will emerge victoriously.

It's us man, in our house!!!!

That is pretty much it. We have heard all of this before. We heard it before BOTH Saints games and before both the last Niner games at home. The Hawks will be prepared and they will bring their best. They have proven it over and over again in these games. NONE of it matters to this team. I just think that PC does what he thinks is the best thing to win. It seems to work and I am really starting to understand it now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Errr, I don't think there's anyone saying our offense is superior to SF's.

The good news is this game is eerily similar to what everyone was saying before the September 15th game, that the wrong team was favored and SF was gonna come in here and beat us.

Hawks46

Reaction score
themunn":1rg0xy4l said:
SacHawk2.0":1rg0xy4l said:

It's making me nervous.

No, our last 3 games have been against the Saints, Rams, Cardinals and Giants
The 49ers have played the Panthers, Packers, Cardinals and Falcons.

And our defense has allowed an average of 209.6 net yards per game (409+158+307+181), 10.25 points (0+17+9+15) and forcing an average of 3 turnovers per game.
Meanwhile, the Niners have allowed an average of 345.75 net yards per game (402+375+281+325), 18.5 points per game, and have forced just 6 turnovers.

They might be ahead of us offensively, but they aren't even close when it comes to defense - and considering over a quarter of those yards we allowed (268) were in the tail end of the third and 4th quarter on Saturday, and came thanks to either fluked bobble passes or us allowing NO the middle of the field to drive down the clock, it's safe to say we are WORLDS apart when it comes to defense

I totally agree with you, but the problem is that the individual matchups with us and SF aren't looking good. Our WRs don't get open vs. their secondary, which makes us one dimensional. Harvin changes this immensely, as he's the one guy who's a mismatch against anyone they can put on him.

Latest posts