49ers averaging nearly 100 more yards per game recently...

themunn

Reaction score
Heisenberg":2n07fdnv said:
Yep, at their house scoring 23 one one of the best defenses in the league. Keeping a team to half their normal scoring is a good thing.

Not saying seattle doesnt have a stout D, they clearly do. It will be an uphill battle and I have no delusions about that. I dont know any DC who would be happy giving 270 pass yards in a single half to anybody, including NO. Especially with a 16 point lead that can evaporate with a single busted coverage play. So im pretty sure seattle didnt intend to allow this, and were lucky that NO's offense ran out of time at the end, because it looks like they were going to score. Anyway none of that matters now.

That's the point I'm making, New Orleans ran out of time because Seattle allowed them short completions, every time they completed it sapping another 20-30 seconds off the clock. It's a strategy we've used several times this season and one that worked beautifully as per, such that when the Saints finally did pull it to within 8, they had 20 seconds left on the clock to recover an onside kick and drive 60 yards for a TD.
Obviously the ultimate goal is still to get the ball back, but you allow short gains to prevent big gains and kill clock. For all those 300 yards they had in the last 17 minutes or so, they scored 15 points. It doesn't matter how many yards you give up if you don't give up points, and Seattle doesn't give up points.

jawilljr

Reaction score
themunn":2ebp4857 said:
Heisenberg":2ebp4857 said:
Yep, at their house scoring 23 one one of the best defenses in the league. Keeping a team to half their normal scoring is a good thing.

Not saying seattle doesnt have a stout D, they clearly do. It will be an uphill battle and I have no delusions about that. I dont know any DC who would be happy giving 270 pass yards in a single half to anybody, including NO. Especially with a 16 point lead that can evaporate with a single busted coverage play. So im pretty sure seattle didnt intend to allow this, and were lucky that NO's offense ran out of time at the end, because it looks like they were going to score. Anyway none of that matters now.

That's the point I'm making, New Orleans ran out of time because Seattle allowed them short completions, every time they completed it sapping another 20-30 seconds off the clock. It's a strategy we've used several times this season and one that worked beautifully as per, such that when the Saints finally did pull it to within 8, they had 20 seconds left on the clock to recover an onside kick and drive 60 yards for a TD.
Obviously the ultimate goal is still to get the ball back, but you allow short gains to prevent big gains and kill clock. For all those 300 yards they had in the last 17 minutes or so, they scored 15 points. It doesn't matter how many yards you give up if you don't give up points, and Seattle doesn't give up points.

Marshawn Lynch should have downed it at about the one yard line. Then kneel it to win the game.

Seeker

Reaction score
270 - 52 from a ball that bounced off of earls hands.
of course NO started playing desperate at the end when we were going in prevent mode. 3 quarters of the game Brees had like 34 yards passing or something crazy

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
CANHawk":4kkohrzg said:
god you're all a bunch of cowards. i'm looking forward to making fun of all of you on monday morning...

I am with this guy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Russell Wilson passes as much as he needs to to win these games. It's the prevent D when we're ahead that I got a problem with.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
themunn":3b4usie2 said:
Heisenberg":3b4usie2 said:

I'm no coach so I cant argue strategy and know what I'm talking about but wouldnt it have been more effective to just stop them and force more 3 and outs so Lynch can bleed out the clock? I'm no DC either, but I just dont see many DCs taking the approach of lets allow them to burn clock by softening coverage and let them complete passes. Then when they score, they went and did it again, like, why would your DC just dare a guy like Brees to beat him with his arm? He very nearly well did. Like I said I'm no HC or DC but wiht a 16 point lead, I personally would not want to soften up coverage so a guy like Brees could eat up yardage and be more likely to score. Anyway they won so what does it matter I guess other than it very nearly burned them because seattle's offense punted 5 out of 6 2nd half posessions, with most drives under 2 minutes.

Latest posts