49ers averaging nearly 100 more yards per game recently...

seanoob

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":wmno9yms said:
TWhat has San Fran done against the #1 Defense this year?

They've scored 22 points.

Seahawks scored 44 off of them (not including the safety).

What exactly am should I be afraid of?

TO LOSE?

If the Seahawks do, SO WHAT, I go back to my life, and I'll be ALL IN next year.

The Lombardi is the ultimate prize for a football team, but I'm an unselfish person, I'm just satisfied with continued improvement from last year and doing it in a tougher Division, the best of 2013. Doing it with tougher travel schedule that had the Seahawks playing three pairs of back to back Road Games and five 10 am starts. You know what the Seahawks did, go 6-2. Doing it with one of the biggest targets on their backs not just from opponents trying to out physical us but by the league, the refs, and general fans everywhere. Doing through the adversity of numerous injuries, suspensions, and the Harvin distraction that could have sank this team to the bottom but the team is too damn stubborn, too damn resilient, too damn good to give in and give up.

They are easily one of the most competitive teams I've seen from a local team in an entire decade. They haven't lost by more than a TD in 43 straight games. In 2 and half season the Seahawks are 5-3, 12-6, 14-3 or 31-12. 12 losses by 7 points or less. 12 losses with a total point differential of just 52 points (3 for 11, 6 for 26, 3 for 15) or just 4.33 points per loss.

And because of that I don't care how great the big bad 49ers team seems. I just have the utmost faith in my 'Hawks to take care of business and if they don't I know they'll be back next year working harder to get that Championship.

This is the way I feel. Exactly. Thank you.

Anthony!

Reaction score
themunn":3lmr845x said:
SacHawk2.0":3lmr845x said:
They're right. Our last 4 games have been at home, 3 against division opponents, plus the Saints.

They have played us, and AZ as common opponents. They've been in the road.

Their offense is getting it done, and keeping their defense rested. Those extra yards do matter even if they don't add up to points.

It's making me nervous.

No, our last 3 games have been against the Saints, Rams, Cardinals and Giants
The 49ers have played the Panthers, Packers, Cardinals and Falcons.

And our defense has allowed an average of 209.6 net yards per game (409+158+307+181), 10.25 points (0+17+9+15) and forcing an average of 3 turnovers per game.
Meanwhile, the Niners have allowed an average of 345.75 net yards per game (402+375+281+325), 18.5 points per game, and have forced just 6 turnovers.

They might be ahead of us offensively, but they aren't even close when it comes to defense - and considering over a quarter of those yards we allowed (268) were in the tail end of the third and 4th quarter on Saturday, and came thanks to either fluked bobble passes or us allowing NO the middle of the field to drive down the clock, it's safe to say we are WORLDS apart when it comes to defense

while everyone is saying how great their offense has been let me remind everyone in the last 4 games they are avg 25.75 points, we are avg 22.5 points and the only reason they are avg 25.75 was the one lone game against Atl were they scored 34, other wise they would be avg 23 points. And according to every one they are clicking on offense and we are not and yet they can only muster 2 points more than us. NOT saying they cannot win, but as good as everyone thinks they are playing on offense they are only 2 points better than our struggling offense.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":nn1n2fcy said:
They're right. Our last 4 games have been at home, 3 against division opponents, plus the Saints.

Their offense is getting it done, and keeping their defense rested. Those extra yards do matter even if they don't add up to points.

It's making me nervous.

Yeah, I really have no confidence in our offense right now. I mean if we could muster much against a depleted Saints defense, what exactly are we gonna do against a fully loaded and more dominant Niners D?

CANHawk

Reaction score
This is why I love ya Loaf. Great post.

Fantasy football is making us SO stupid... Okay, last 4 games. Who did SF play..?

Week 15. Atlanta. Mathematically eliminated MONTHS ago and statistically the 5th WORST defense in the NFL. I could throw for 200 against them throwing to Sac.
Week 16. Arizona. A great defense (as we know) but recently mathematically eliminated. Played like they clearly didn't give a shit.
WC: Green Bay. Dom Capers is the stooopidest DC in sports because he can't ever remember that Kap runs all over them. Those stats don't count.
Divisional round: Carolina. A damn good defense. Not on our level, but really good. What did SF do? 315 yards. That's a decent game, still well below average though. SF is not this big scary, unstoppable juggernaught they're being made out to be.

Carolina's a good D, but their strength is against the run. They're just slightly above okay against the pass. Seattle is the BEST THERE IS against the pass. We give up over 40 yards per game less than Carolina through the air. Captain 1 read isn't going to do to our secondary what he's done to these other jabronies. Bolden doesn't have big games against this team. VD still hears Kam's footsteps. Their offense doesn't concern me. We just handled the most highly decorated offense of this generation. Totally nullified them for 3.75 quarters (and the only yards/points they put up were off flukes). The headline of this story has nothing to do with SF and their offense. They're going to be silenced by the LoB.

The story will be how well will Marshawn Lynch move the ball on the ground against that defense. If Beast can move the rock, it's our game to lose.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think a points comparison is dicey because our defense has been giving us crazy short fields. So our 22.5 pts per game are much, much more vomit-inducing than they appear, simply because of how many were generated off of short fields, and when watching the games you can actually see us go three and out despite starting on the other side of the 50.

I do not think the SF offense is great. I think they are an offense similar to ours, but that they can drive the field a few times a game, and are capable of scoring in the red zone, whereas I do not think our offense is at that level without Percy. With Percy I think (hope) our offense rises to their level i.e. functional.

Our defense has been playing better than theirs, however. They can either go into ultra-conservative mode (like us) on offense, in which case neither team scores 20, or they can try to operate their passing offense and risk giving us all those short fields. Either way it's a close game.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
So, what I get from all of this is: SF "red hot atm" offense that is "really clicking" right now is about the same as our "struggling" offense.

Thus, if our offense has even a half-way decent day, we end up w/ what? 42-13? I'll take that.

I do have my concerns but I think the team as a whole is very competitive and can still beat anybody. I agree, I would very much like to see better from out offense than "just good enough" but I still think we have what it takes to go all the way this year. Heck, we just gotta dig out 2 more games and then we can retool a bit. Don't tell me we can't scrounge up a couple more wins with this scrapper of a team that has been doing just that all year long.

The Radish

Reaction score
I want youse people to take your dvoas and throw it out the window. Next Sunday it will mean exactly nothing! You are all confusing fantasy stats with REAL STATS!

ninnirs are the hottest team in football right now. How can anyone deny that with some damned numbers? they have won 8 in a row and that's why the talking heads are kind of leaning towards them.

I said in another string,,,Russell Wilson will not be able to throw our DVOA for any touchdowns, now have Marshawn Lynch run 67 yds with it.

So please, please stop telling me that number means anything on the field of play. Its just talk, the game is not!

:141847_bnono:

Seeker

Reaction score
Irresponsible statistics man.....

they don't add up the total yards at the end of the game and pick the champion they look at the scoreboard.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
These stats are not irresponsible total yards tells you simply how well the offense can move the ball down field it's simple.

Worst case scenario we have an offensive fumble or interception or somehow the 49ers get some huge semi lucky plays on offense. If the 49ers get a big lead can we as a team come back to win when we are averaging less than 300 yards a game recently?

We have had games recently with 5 interceptions and we score under 30.

Another game 4 interceptions and we lose...

God forbid we lose the turnover battle against 49ers or in Super Bowl are we PREPARED or even CAPABLE to turn into a high powered offense to make a comeback?

From what I've seen lately I'm not so sure if we can do it. The 49ers are a very conservative run the ball offense to. But they are averaging a lot more yards and are one of the very few if not only teams in the league that I think can make plays against our secondary. I think their receivers are very good.

If it turns into a gun slinging contest if we have the lead I think they could possibly steal the game back. From what I've seen lately we would have a much harder time to make a comeback than they would.

People just assume everything will go perfect and our game plan will work. There's always a chance we just have a really bad day and need a ton of yards and points to make a comeback. That's all I'm saying.

I still think we are the favorites obviously but I really hope it doesn't come down to our offense having to win the game for us instead of our defense like we are so spoiled to have lately.

It only takes one big play or drive to lose the game when you are leaning on defense to win it single handedly. Just see our last 49ers game or the Falcons game from playoffs last year. Or even the recent Cardinals game with 4 interceptions...

I just wish we had an offense that could take advantage of our defense to dominate the opponents and give them no chance to win. Instead it seems many fans are content to just barely do enough to win. That could work and I REALLY hope it does, but it scares me honestly when I don't trust our offense to be consistently good or even decent.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The Radish":2znhobkt said:
I want youse people to take your dvoas and throw it out the window. Next Sunday it will mean exactly nothing! You are all confusing fantasy stats with REAL STATS!

ninnirs are the hottest team in football right now. How can anyone deny that with some damned numbers? they have won 8 in a row and that's why the talking heads are kind of leaning towards them.

I said in another string,,,Russell Wilson will not be able to throw our DVOA for any touchdowns, now have Marshawn Lynch run 67 yds with it.

So please, please stop telling me that number means anything on the field of play. Its just talk, the game is not!

:141847_bnono:

Les, I understand what you're saying but stats are fairly good for a few things. One is to compare what you think you're seeing to what's actually happening.

If I had 1,000 fingers on my hand I could count the number of blanket statements made daily (represented as fact) by people who simply don't take the time to even find out if what they're saying is accurate. Even do it myself on occasion. :)

Just saying...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Hawks will move the ball on SF and SF will struggle to move the ball on the Hawks. CK has thrown picks in every game he has played Seattle and Wilson outplayed him in his own house. If Wilson has the game that he did in SF, we are in business. I know for sure that Wilson will bring his best on Sunday and if Lynch isn't getting it done, RW will. I doubt that Lynch is held to nothing though. He has had monster games against the Niners at home every single time he has played them here. Every time. Gore? Not even close. Heck, Lynch averages 100 rushing a game if you include all games in the Stick.

He will get his.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
CK moves the ball fairly well here, between 20's.

He has his issues at the Clink inside the red zone, and being a turnover machine.

Of course you could say this about a lot of our home games thanks to the defense, but if he's going to win here he'll have to make explosive plays to his own receivers instead of our secondary.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":4f1gdktr said:
I doubt that Lynch is held to nothing though. He has had monster games against the Niners at home every single time he has played them here. Every time. Gore? Not even close. Heck, Lynch averages 100 rushing a game if you include all games in the Stick.

He will get his.

I'm too sleepy to look at Lynch's game history for his entire career. But this season I'm not seeing Lynch dominating the 49ers. He picks up some yards due to his amount of carries but his average yards per carry is pretty horrible.

Game 1:

Lynch
28 carries for 98 yards
3.5 yards per carry

Gore
9 carries for 16 yards
1.8 yards per carry

Kaepernick
9 carries for 87 yards
9.7 yards per carry

Game 2:

Lynch
20 carries for 72 yards
3.6 yards per carry

Gore
17 carries for 110 yards
6.5 yards per carry

I don't consider anything below 4.2 yards per carry a good day for Lynch. That's his season and career average. If he's below 4.0 like both those 49 days I would consider it a below average day. I'm not saying Lynch will get completely stuffed. But if he's under 4.2 and we are counting on him to win the game I do not approve of the plan unless Kaepernick gives us the ball at least twice.

Just a reminder the game we lost to the Falcons in playoffs last year Lynches stats were:

16 carries for 46 yards
2.9 yards per carry

He also had a fumble that we lost :(

In that game Wilson had:

7 carries for 60 yards
8.6 yards per carry

Wilson also had 385 passing yards with a 66.67% completion rate.

One might argue if we had let Wilson make plays a little bit more we would have won that Falcons game. I just don't want to be thinking the same thing if somehow we do manage to lose. Enough is enough I'm fed up with Bevell but he has a chance to redeem himself if we win Super Bowl (even if he's still a mediocre OC).

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Tokadub":nsvh6iir said:
loafoftatupu":nsvh6iir said:
I doubt that Lynch is held to nothing though. He has had monster games against the Niners at home every single time he has played them here. Every time. Gore? Not even close. Heck, Lynch averages 100 rushing a game if you include all games in the Stick.

He will get his.

I'm too sleepy to look at Lynch's game history for his entire career. But this season I'm not seeing Lynch dominating the 49ers. He picks up some yards due to his amount of carries but his average yards per carry is pretty horrible.

Game 1:

Lynch
28 carries for 98 yards
3.5 yards per carry

Gore
9 carries for 16 yards
1.8 yards per carry

Kaepernick
9 carries for 87 yards
9.7 yards per carry

Game 2:

Lynch
20 carries for 72 yards
3.6 yards per carry

Gore
17 carries for 110 yards
6.5 yards per carry

I don't consider anything below 4.2 yards per carry a good day for Lynch. That's his season and career average. If he's below 4.0 like both those 49 days I would consider it a below average day. I'm not saying Lynch will get completely stuffed. But if he's under 4.2 and we are counting on him to win the game I do not approve of the plan unless Kaepernick gives us the ball at least twice.

Just a reminder the game we lost to the Falcons in playoffs last year Lynches stats were:

16 carries for 46 yards
2.9 yards per carry

In that game Wilson had:

7 carries for 60 yards
8.6 yards per carry

One might argue if we had let Wilson make plays a little bit more we would have won that Falcons game. I just don't want to be thinking the same thing if somehow we do manage to lose. Enough is enough I'm fed up with Bevell but he has a chance to redeem himself if we win Super Bowl (even if he's still a mediocre OC).

You just wasted all that server storage to tailor some argument? I provided hard fact and then you somehow pull a number out of your cavity to make things look sad?

Who gives a pelvic thrust what Lynch did in ATL last year? If you are insistent on using stats like gospel please use relevant ones. Who cares what his average was if he ran the ball 28 times and ended up with 100 yards? That is a lot of clock with a lead. All that matters is what he did at home this year. And this year Lynch accounted for 135 yards and 3 TDs.

It's a good thing that what you "consider" and what actually matters. The average is 5 ypc or close to it against the Niners for life.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
themunn":3ti3mowf said:
SacHawk2.0":3ti3mowf said:

It's making me nervous.

And our defense has allowed an average of 209.6 net yards per game (409+158+307+181), 10.25 points (0+17+9+15) and forcing an average of 3 turnovers per game.
Meanwhile, the Niners have allowed an average of 345.75 net yards per game (402+375+281+325), 18.5 points per game, and have forced just 6 turnovers.

They might be ahead of us offensively, but they aren't even close when it comes to defense - and considering over a quarter of those yards we allowed (268) were in the tail end of the third and 4th quarter on Saturday, and came thanks to either fluked bobble passes or us allowing NO the middle of the field to drive down the clock, it's safe to say we are WORLDS apart when it comes to defense

World apart? Really, worlds apart? Seahawks defense is excellent, no doubting that. But to doubt the 49ers D 4th against the run 7th against the pass as worlds aprt is shortsighted. Didnt they just go into green bay with aaron rodgers, lacy, and cobb and gave up under 200 yards passing and 20 points? THey didnt just hold carolina to 10, also on the road? They definitely havent been playing as well lately as they were at other parts of the season on D, however they won 8 in a row and i do believe the defense made many KEY stops against carolina last sunday. Anyway you better hope the same 49er D who allowed 264 total yards to seattle doesnt show up! Cause your D allowed 318 to the 49ers and this was before they hit their offensive stride.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2xvf1c74 said:
Tokadub":2xvf1c74 said:
loafoftatupu":2xvf1c74 said:

He will get his.

Game 1:

Lynch
28 carries for 98 yards
3.5 yards per carry

Gore
9 carries for 16 yards
1.8 yards per carry

Kaepernick
9 carries for 87 yards
9.7 yards per carry

Game 2:

Lynch
20 carries for 72 yards
3.6 yards per carry

Gore
17 carries for 110 yards
6.5 yards per carry

16 carries for 46 yards
2.9 yards per carry

In that game Wilson had:

7 carries for 60 yards
8.6 yards per carry

You just wasted all that server storage to tailor some argument? I provided hard fact and then you somehow pull a number out of your cavity to make things look sad?

Who gives a pelvic thrust what Lynch did in ATL last year? If you are insistent on using stats like gospel please use relevant ones. Who cares what his average was if he ran the ball 28 times and ended up with 100 yards? That is a lot of clock with a lead. All that matters is what he did at home this year. And this year Lynch accounted for 135 yards and 3 TDs.

It's a good thing that what you "consider" and what actually matters. The average is 5 ypc or close to it against the Niners for life.

I dunno man. Lynch may get his but if hes averaging 3 ypc do you really think they'll just keep feeding him? What if seattle is playing from behind, like say 10 points which is a lot with these defenses. YOu cant keep feeding a 3 ypc machine. If Wilson cant throw the ball and take load off Lynch, it'll be a very long day. But if you have to give it to Lynch 30 time to get his 100 , i frankly dont see him getting that many carries unless seattle somehow builds a nice solid lead. Either way it'll be a great game. I sure hope my 49ers win but its an uphill battle. Here's to hoping Harvin doesnt play.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3r92jkwe said:
The Hawks will move the ball on SF and SF will struggle to move the ball on the Hawks. CK has thrown picks in every game he has played Seattle and Wilson outplayed him in his own house. If Wilson has the game that he did in SF, we are in business. I know for sure that Wilson will bring his best on Sunday and if Lynch isn't getting it done, RW will. I doubt that Lynch is held to nothing though. He has had monster games against the Niners at home every single time he has played them here. Every time. Gore? Not even close. Heck, Lynch averages 100 rushing a game if you include all games in the Stick.

He will get his.

He averaged 3.5 ypc, ill take that any day of the week if we are playing Lynch. The only reason he got so many carries (28) to get to that number is because of the lead seattle had, they could bleed out the clock.

Not sure how seattle is just going to move it at will and the 49ers wont be able to. First off, wilson averages 175 pass yards per game against SF. 142 at home last time throwing 50%. Lynch had an okay game @ SF but the 49ers gashed your D for 163 on the ground to your 86. It'll be a tough game where yards come at a premium. Secondly, the 49ers hit an offensive stride and this is during a stretch of games that include az and carolina. They are averaging 100 more yards per game than seattle's lethargic offense right now, so how will they magically wake up sunday, and the 49ers will decide its time to go to sleep? Anything can happen sunday but i think it'll be a very good game, nobody is getting blown out.

jhawk91

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2g6bo1g4 said:
TWhat has San Fran done against the #1 Defense this year?

They've scored 22 points.

Seahawks scored 44 off of them (not including the safety).

What exactly am should I be afraid of?

TO LOSE?

If the Seahawks do, SO WHAT, I go back to my life, and I'll be ALL IN next year.

The Lombardi is the ultimate prize for a football team, but I'm an unselfish person, I'm just satisfied with continued improvement from last year and doing it in a tougher Division, the best of 2013. Doing it with tougher travel schedule that had the Seahawks playing three pairs of back to back Road Games and five 10 am starts. You know what the Seahawks did, go 6-2. Doing it with one of the biggest targets on their backs not just from opponents trying to out physical us but by the league, the refs, and general fans everywhere. Doing through the adversity of numerous injuries, suspensions, and the Harvin distraction that could have sank this team to the bottom but the team is too damn stubborn, too damn resilient, too damn good to give in and give up.

They are easily one of the most competitive teams I've seen from a local team in an entire decade. They haven't lost by more than a TD in 43 straight games. In 2 and half season the Seahawks are 5-3, 12-6, 14-3 or 31-12. 12 losses by 7 points or less. 12 losses with a total point differential of just 52 points (3 for 11, 6 for 26, 3 for 15) or just 4.33 points per loss.

And because of that I don't care how great the big bad 49ers team seems. I just have the utmost faith in my 'Hawks to take care of business and if they don't I know they'll be back next year working harder to get that Championship.
I agree with some of this BUT, I do think it would really, really hurt to lose. If this was the Panthers I probably wouldn't feel as strongly about that though. This is our bitter rival, a team who hates our guts and we hate theirs, winner get some serious bragging rights in being able to say they won the NFC over the other and prevented them from going to the Super Bowl. Point is, if we win then we get that (it would be even sweeter if we won the game after though), if they win, they won't let it down for quite a while I'm guessing

themunn

Reaction score
Heisenberg":19f07rcs said:
themunn":19f07rcs said:
SacHawk2.0":19f07rcs said:

It's making me nervous.

World apart? Really, worlds apart? Seahawks defense is excellent, no doubting that. But to doubt the 49ers D 4th against the run 7th against the pass as worlds aprt is shortsighted. Didnt they just go into green bay with aaron rodgers, lacy, and cobb and gave up under 200 yards passing and 20 points? THey didnt just hold carolina to 10, also on the road? They definitely havent been playing as well lately as they were at other parts of the season on D, however they won 8 in a row and i do believe the defense made many KEY stops against carolina last sunday. Anyway you better hope the same 49er D who allowed 264 total yards to seattle doesnt show up! Cause your D allowed 318 to the 49ers and this was before they hit their offensive stride.

Carolina, the league's 26th ranked offense?
And for all the talk about hitting their offensive stride, the Seahawks have improved vastly over the last 6 games on defense, the difference of course that the Seahawks defense was already the best in the league. They held Drew Brees to 34 yards passing in a half! The lowest total ever for his time in New Orleans. Yes, the box score says he then put up 270 yards or so in the second half, but again, much of that was allowed so that NO would chew up their own clock.
Niners might be putting up yards again, but they've only managed 23 points in each of their last 3 games, now they're going to the toughest venue in the league, where the Seahawks have conceded 21+ points only twice in the last 20 games, in a fluke start by the Bucs, and a 23 point effort by the (at the time) league's best offense of the Patriots.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
themunn":1lymw8o7 said:
Heisenberg":1lymw8o7 said:
themunn":1lymw8o7 said:
SacHawk2.0":1lymw8o7 said:

It's making me nervous.

Carolina, the league's 26th ranked offense?
And for all the talk about hitting their offensive stride, the Seahawks have improved vastly over the last 6 games on defense, the difference of course that the Seahawks defense was already the best in the league. They held Drew Brees to 34 yards passing in a half! The lowest total ever for his time in New Orleans. Yes, the box score says he then put up 270 yards or so in the second half, but again, much of that was allowed so that NO would chew up their own clock.
Niners might be putting up yards again, but they've only managed 23 points in each of their last 3 games, now they're going to the toughest venue in the league, where the Seahawks have conceded 21+ points only twice in the last 20 games, in a fluke start by the Bucs, and a 23 point effort by the (at the time) league's best offense of the Patriots.

Yep, at their house scoring 23 one one of the best defenses in the league. Keeping a team to half their normal scoring is a good thing.

Not saying seattle doesnt have a stout D, they clearly do. It will be an uphill battle and I have no delusions about that. I dont know any DC who would be happy giving 270 pass yards in a single half to anybody, including NO. Especially with a 16 point lead that can evaporate with a single busted coverage play. So im pretty sure seattle didnt intend to allow this, and were lucky that NO's offense ran out of time at the end, because it looks like they were going to score. Anyway none of that matters now.

True theyve only averaged 23 in the last 3 games, but they've also won all 3, allowing an average of 16, which if my 3rd grade math adds up to winning by a margin of a touchdown. When you have a stout D you can afford some issues on offense, and im sure as a hawks fan you can relate.

All the 49ers need to do is outscore seattle. The 49er D can hold them down, and if they havent suddenly woken up from their slumpy behavior it will not be a pretty game. I think it'll be a game for the ages. Playoffs are a whole other animal and i just dont see the 49ers D allowing the kind of behavior they allowed the last two times in seattle. But we'll see!