Offensive Line play will be key against SF

kmedic

Reaction score
I'm not worried at all about our defense, I really don't think SF will score more than 20 points. The critical question then is can the Hawks score more than 20 points on SF?

My opinion is that the key to this will be the play of the offensive line. Of course, having Harvin is also a key, but I'm not counting on him playing. In the last 2 meetings at home against SF, particularly the first one, the offensive line play was outstanding. Both Marshawn and Turbin racked up good yardage and RW had ample time to throw. I feel like at least some of the reason why he has been struggling of late is the pass protection. While it's been ok, it could be better. I've been watching guys like Brady, Newton, and even Kaepernick this weekend sit back in the pocket forever surveying the field. I don't feel like I've been seeing that kind of protection with us.

A lot of success earlier in the season with the offense was because Wilson, even when flushed from the pocket, was able to extend the play by scrambling and keeping the deep routes alive for explosive plays. The league has learned to scheme and contain Russell now much better from doing just that. This puts more pressure on the offensive line to hold the pocket for Russell to make his reads and it hasn't been working well the past month.

I also think it's absolutely critical that the offensive line have a clean game. There are way too many holding penalties on both runs and passes. I know Okung is not completely healthy with his turf toe but he in particular needs to cut down on the holding penalties. Maybe we need to chip more on Aldon Smith to help him out but do whatever it takes. Go Hawks.

sam1313

Reaction score
This is so, so true. And, if we lose, I honestly believe it will be primarily due to the FO's failure to address our weak offensive line. If Russell has taken a step back, it is only because he has had to run for his life this season, and he is nervous because he hasn't been as successful running away from the pressure lately. I'm glad we have Bowie in there, but Breno still worries me (as does the injured Okung and Unger). Come on O-line - this game is huge for you! no penaltiies, no allowing in unblocked defenders, and maintain the run blocking we had this week. that should spell a victory for us.

General Manager

Reaction score
Wilson will have to play better than he did against the Saints the good news is he can and he will.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
We had a D line to worry about, and it was addressed. This off-season, I'm sure the O-line will be addressed. It's keeping the rest of the team intact that worries me going forward...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
General Manager":gv346suf said:
Wilson will have to play better than he did against the Saints the good news is he can and he will.

Yeah, Wilson has been struggling of late but he's still an awesome, awesome QB. Fully expecting him to bring it and play really strong.

Re: the Hawks Online, save for the second half today the 9ers pass rush has been really ineffective and inconsistent for awhile now. I think they're definitely containable, and you don't need a strong line to do it (see: Atlanta; Arizona).

Latest posts