Signature moment?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I am going to preface this post by stating emphatically that I am one of Russell Wilsons biggest fans. Have been from the moment he was drafted. Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe his consistency could be a negative.

Basically from the moment he was named the starter and more precisely from the moment the shackles were taken off, RW has essentially been a model of consistency. His season statistics are nearly identical in his two years. Does this mean he will continue his productivity at this same level throughout the course of his career? Or, as many "experts" generally state, it isn't until a QB's third year that they start to really put it together? Will we see an arc in his productivity next year?

Listening to "The Herd" this morning he and Peter King were talking about QB's signature moments. Elway's was "the drive" in the playoffs at Cleveland. Luck's was supposedly during this past weekends playoff win.

Has RW had his signature moment? Is it his consistency? Was it in the playoff win last year in Washington? Perhaps it was in the preseason game in 2012 against KC. 2012 comeback win (twice) in Chicago? I don't know. Maybe an outside non Seahawk fan would be better at recognizing his signature moment.

Will this years playoffs provide an undebateable signature moment for RW? I am of the hope and belief that we will see unbelievable play from him this post season.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I'd have to go with the come back in the Atlanta game last year.
Refused to accept defeat, led three touchdown drives in the 4th qtr.
We all know they lost that game, but Russell showed right there that he will never quit!
It's nice to know that the Hawks have finally found the elusive franchise QB!

tooshort

Reaction score
Pretty sure It would have been the Atlanta comeback if the defense had held for half a minute.

Many more awesome moments to come I'm sure, It's not as if we haven't seen a plethora of RW "near signature moments" in the last two years.

dunceface

Reaction score
Ok I know we are getting a little spoiled but if you think his consistency is a bad thing just look at Andy Dalton for a comparison to make you feel better
and I would agree that Wilson's signature moment so far was in the Atlanta game but there still may be a hoisting motion that becomes his signature moment very soon

AgentDib

Reaction score
Wilson's cumulative stats are indeed very similar to last year. If you are worried about consistency, however, I think you may be very surprised by how much variation there is from game to game.

Here is Wilson's QB Rating by game in 2013. The dotted line represents the league average (86.0).
33SseGo

Our passing offense has been dominant at times this year and not so hot at other times. When Wilson talks about consistency he is talking about being consistently good, which is exactly what we need with our defense. We don't need him to pass for 400 yards with a "signature moment" on Saturday; if he can play an efficient game and our offense can run the ball then our defense will make sure we come away with the win.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
If signature means putting your team in a position to be down 28 points in the third quarter by throwing three horrible picks, count me in the group that wants to avoid said moments.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wartooth":yt7pxtoz said:

I don't think Signature moments can come in losses. If we win in Atlanta, then I'm with you, that was an epic performance by Russell.

Personally I don't think Russell's had that signature moment yet in his career. Hopefully it's coming very very soon......................

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Uh, if Russell Wilson puts up 100+ passer rating every year for the next decade, I'm perfectly fine with that kind of consistency. He's had plenty of "signature" games... New England, Chicago, Atlanta, curb stomping New Orleans on MNF, etc. I'm having a hard time deciphering what your point actually is.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12v06iix said:
Wartooth":12v06iix said:

I don't think Signature moments can come in losses. If we win in Atlanta, then I'm with you, that was an epic performance by Russell.

Personally I don't think Russell's had that signature moment yet in his career. Hopefully it's coming very very soon......................

How are the Chicago and New England games not "signature"? Because they weren't in the playoffs? He's only played two playoff games and engineered comebacks in both of them. Is a "signature" win defined as a comeback win or a spectacular performance on national TV? Well, he got the latter against San Francisco last year and against New Orleans this year. Again, I really don't know what this topic is about.

formido

Reaction score
Does Rodgers have any signature moments? Rodgers doesn't have many amazing come-from-behind stories because he doesn't save his best for last. He's always playing as well as he can. During Green Bay's dominant stretch, when they had a pass defense to match Rodger's passing efficiency, the Packers put teams away early. That's the model I'd prefer Wilson to follow, frankly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2arssrk9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2arssrk9 said:
Wartooth":2arssrk9 said:

How are the Chicago and New England games not "signature"? Because they weren't in the playoffs? He's only played two playoff games and engineered comebacks in both of them. Is a "signature" win defined as a comeback win or a spectacular performance on national TV? Well, he got the latter against San Francisco last year and against New Orleans this year. Again, I really don't know what this topic is about.

Well yeah, obviously "signature" is arbitrary. But IMO if you were to list signature moments by all the great QB's, all of them would be playoff or SB moments.

Does anyone list regular season games as Elway or Montana's "signature moment?" No, they'd show you Montana's throw to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
formido":34ir9kq8 said:
Does Rodgers have any signature moments? Rodgers doesn't have many amazing come-from-behind stories because he doesn't save his best for last. He's always playing as well as he can. During Green Bay's dominant stretch, when they had a pass defense to match Rodger's passing efficiency, the Packers put teams away early. That's the model I'd prefer Wilson to follow, frankly.

He would have had one for sure on Sunday if GB won that game. His escape and throw to Cobb was unbelievable (albeit with a little holding help). Just proves my "has to be during the playoffs AND with a win" criteria.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I have to go with that Chicago game . He basically took the team on his back to win that game twice .

Vetamur

Reaction score
I think hes just getting warmed up..his signature moment, his "Beastquake" moment...is still a ways off.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":23735o0q said:
Gotta go with the Chicago OT win, that seemed like it truly started the roll.
hawkfannj":23735o0q said:
I have to go with that Chicago game. He basically took the team on his back to win that game twice.
My thoughts exactly. He may yet have greater, more defining signature moment (Elway didn't have The Drive in the second year of his career), but for now, that Chicago game is it.

jblaze

Reaction score
His main goal was consistency at the beginning of the year and he more than accomplished that goal.

That said, his numbers can and will be better with our WR corp at full strength. Our two #1 receivers are gone (Harvin and Rice) and that affects production greatly.

Get him a big WR in the draft next year (Benjamin anyone?) and Harvin health in the slot and Tate resigned as the #2 and you're looking pretty solid. Couple that with a great ground game and play action looks like kids play and his numbers will improve.

Next year he'll have 35 TD's, 10 picks and 4,000 yards.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Not to diminish Russell in any way, but if you want that big signature moment, we'll probably want a 6'3+ receiver to help him get it.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I doubt he'll ever throw for more than 3500 yards in a season as long as he stays in Seattle and we keep the same philosophy. I kind of thought they would go pass heavy this year based on our talents, but Carroll has shown he is a Chuck Knox disciple and committed to his brand of football.

seabowl

Reaction score
I would have to say Russell's carrying the team on his back while 60% of his line was hurt was his signature "stretch of games" for me. Without his ability to escape from crazy pass rushes we probably would not be here now. Frankly i do not know of any QB in the league now that could have fared better than Russ.

Signature moment for me will be his hopefuly hoisting of the Lombardi trophy this year.

Latest posts