2005 Hawks vs 2013 Hawks

Northhawk

Reaction score
Since it's a bye week, thought we could kill a thread on a hypothetical. If the 2005 Hawks played the current team who do you think would win?

I think this year's team would be in for a fight but in the end Wilson and co. would take it. Why? I remember the 2005 team with its great but finesse offense sometimes had a time against smashmouth defenses (except Jones and Hutch). Also, I think Matt would turn the ball over for a td.

And while the 2005 defense was good, I think we could run on them with Beastmode and mix-in enough passes to win in a squeaker.

2013 Hawks 20 vs 2005 17

kearly

Reaction score
2013 > 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2005.

2005 would get crushed in a head to head. They were a finesse team with a lot of similarities to this year's Saints. Physical teams typically dominate finesse teams.

skater18000

Reaction score
24 - 13 this years hawks. 05 hawks secondary would get worked by Percy, Tate, Baldwin etc.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Always fun to speculate...

The '05 team had that classic WCO ability to win the toss, march 80 yards down the field in 13 plays, score a TD and leave you down 7-0 with 6 minutes to play in the first quarter. That year, the offense's prowess put the defense into favorable positions. I'm pretty sure that they could do that even against the current defense, especially early in a game.

This bunch seems more battle and adversity-tested though. They've been in some tight, tight spots and pulled out victories. That seems like a pretty decent mental edge, to just know, even down a couple scores, that you can still win. Because you've done it before, multiple times.

It seems like the Legion could probably shut down the '05 team's receivers, especially if the flags stay home. D-Jack's kind of a wild card here, though, because he could be unguardable at times -- he was his own worst, and sometimes only enemy. But nobody was shutting down Shaun, Hutch and Walt. Nobody.

So where are we left? Pretty damn good game, I'd say. I think the OP has the right of it, though -- I bet the difference would be Hass and one of his classic chicken-with-the-head-cut-off moments leading to a pick by Sherman.

Polaris

Reaction score
I loved our 2005 hawks, but the worst matchups for them (and we saw that first against Jax) were teams that line up and smashed them in the mouth, finesse and structure notwithstanding. Shaun would sometimes flinch from holes even in 2005 if he was hit and hit hard often enough.

Officiating aside, in hindsight Pittsburg was the worst possible matchup for Seattle in SuperBowl XL. We were lucky btw to get Carolina and not Chicago that year in the NFC Championship. The Bears were a style of team the 2005 Seahawks did not deal with very well.

In a hypothetical matchup, the 2005 Seahawks would start strong, but then peter out as the Legion of Boom would pick off Hasselbeck for at least 2 picks, and starting in the third qtr, Shaun would start 'finessing away' from contact. Of course that 2005 O-line was so good he'd get his yards anyway, but when things went wrong, Hasselbeck had a little too much Favre in him.

I think the game would look much like the Divisional Playoff Game against Green Bay in Jan of 2008 where nothing worked because Green Bay's Physical corners hammered Homgren's finesse passing game over and over and over again. I think our current 'hawks would be much like that Packer Team only better.

Axx

Reaction score
well depends who's at home

Polaris

Reaction score
Axx":1hzi40m5 said:
well depends who's at home

Hmm, a point, but I think the 2005 team needed HFA much more than the 2013 team does and the stats and records seem to bear that out. If the 2013 team is "home" then I don't think it's close. If the 2005 team is at 'home', that's probably enough to give the '05 team the edge, but it's close.

As much as I hate to say it, compared to Carroll's Seahawks, the 2005 team was soft.

OrFan

Reaction score
I think the 2013 Hawks defense would tear up the 2005 Hawks team. The deep passes from our current team would cause nightmares for that 05 defensive backfield.

The one thing I would love to have on this team from that team is the offensive line. Marshawn behind that line? Wow!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
As much as people want to credit the 13 Defense owning the 05 Offense (which I think would be a push), I don't see how the 13 Offense could handle the attack of the 05 Defense. That team lead the league in sacks and was very opportunistic.

They had a great track record against mobile QBs.

Polaris

Reaction score
sammyc521":1vh3jep6 said:
As much as people want to credit the 13 Defense owning the 05 Offense (which I think would be a push), I don't see how the 13 Offense could handle the attack of the 05 Defense. That team lead the league in sacks and was very opportunistic.

Actually they didn't. The zone read option was unknown in the NFL at the time as were QBs that could take advantage of it. At that time, Mobile QB == Mike Vick, and a QB that could scramble like Wilson and be 'pocket accurate' on the run would be an absolute nightmare for the 2005 team's secondary (which was always threadbare).

Honestly a QB like Wilson would have been as much a shock to the NFL as gunpowder was to warfare in early rennaissance Europe.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sammyc521":2s6bhhxx said:

C'mon man. I love the 05' defense but this is two different fruits my friend. That 05' schedule for Seattle was weak weak weak. The only real dominant team that year was the Colts. Even against the Colts that year Indianapolis already pulled their starters by half and the team was dealing with a tragedy. Name one team, just one good team we beat that season. I can name a couple crappy teams we almost lost to. Alanta, Tennessee just to name two. If you say the Giants,,,,we probably should of lost that game, and they really were not that good.

Now on the 13' side. They did not lose to any pos teams (even though Im not sold on the Cardinals but their record and division supports my statement) Also we have beat some pretty good teams, even on the road , both13' and 12' years. Soooo not even close,,,,,,with all do respect to the 05 team,,, much love.

05 is like a really good girlfriend,,,12 and 13 is the same team and like a really good wife that keeps getting better.

(I know Carolina was good but Im talking season)

Hawknballs

Reaction score
05 team had something the current team doesn't have, and that is a top-tier offensive line.

If we had that offensive line forget about it. we'd be undefeated and it wouldn't have been close.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have nothing to add beyond this is a fun thread and with all things being even 24-20 in favor of 2013 sounds fair.Hasselbeck would make a critical mistake and Wilson would use it to dagger them right in the heart.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
2005 DVOA: 28.2%
2013 DVOA: 40.1% (5th highest in NFL going back to 1989)

djb28

Reaction score
the 2005 quick slant offense and running game behind that line would have given the current team Defense fits. I think they would adjust and possibly squeak out he win.

Of course I am speculating that the 2005 team is not dropping every ball thrown to them! ( oh man those games were hard to watch! )

Polaris

Reaction score
djb28":3rkapnz2 said:
Of course I am speculating that the 2005 team is not dropping every ball thrown to them! ( oh man those games were hard to watch! )

That's where I think you may be making an assumption too many. Our defense may struggle at first against the quick slant, but every time a catch was made in the middle, the receiver would get leveled (against the '13 Seahawks). This is what the Packers did to Seattle during the Divisional Round after the 2008 season. After some of that, the receivers start getting gator arms.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
FYI these stats are only through 12 games in the quotes.
What mainly distinguished the 2005 team was its scoring offense. At 28.2 points per game, the Seahawks led the NFL with Alexander, running behind Jones and Hutchinson, setting a league record with 28 touchdowns. Seattle’s scoring defense was almost as good, ranking seventh. The 2005 team allowed only five rushing TDs all season.

But 2005 doesn’t have much of a statistical advantage on 2013. While 2005 averaged 28.2 points per game, 2013 averages 27.8. 2005 yielded 16.9, but 2013 is a hair better at 16.3. 2005 had an average scoring margin of 10.5 points over its opponents. But 2013′s is 11.5. There is virtually no difference in takeaways/giveaways. As the tale of the tape shows, the teams are practically copies of each other:
SportsPressNW

Teams that the 2005 played that were good (which is still kind of irrelevant, you play who's on the schedule); Jags were 12-4, Giants were 11-5 and Redskins were 10-6. Teams that the 13 team almost lost to; the Texans, the Titans (remember, it doesn't count as a win according to some random poster) and the Bucs.

Complete Stats:

Scored 452 points (28.2/g), 1st of 32 in the NFL
Allowed 271 points (16.9/g), 7th
Differential of 181 points (11.3/g), 2nd
50 Sacks 1st in the NFL
27 Sacks Taken

16 INTs
9 INTs Thrown
25 Passing TDs
18 Passing TDs given up
29 Rushing TDs
5 Rushing TDs given up

Scored 417 points (26.1/g), 8th of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 231 points (14.4/g), 1st.
Differential of 186 points (11.6/g), 2nd.
43 Sacks
44 Sacks Taken
28 INTs
9 INTs Thrown
27 Passing TDs
16 Passing TDs given up

14 Rushing TDs
4 Rushing TDs given up

And for giggles, I ran a pseudo simulation and the 2005 team won a majority of the time; What If Sports.

On the 2005 roster, I made DJack the #1 WR and on the 2013 roster, I made Harvin the #3 WR.

None of this is by far anything remotely conclusive, but to think that the 2013 team wins easily is short-sighted and a discredit to the greatest team in franchise history... but the 2013 could change that if they win it all.