Willson's Injury could be a GAIN in Bigger Picture

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The LOSS: The injury was unfortunate as Willson was a solid all-around athletic move TE who could stretch the seam. And losing valuable depth behind Miller is never a good thing.

The GAIN: I could see a majority of Willson's snaps go to Michael Robinson. And 3rd TE, Kellen Davis while a shoddy WR is a big, strong body with above average blocking abilities.

With the passing game hit or miss as it is, getting optimum performance out of the Running Game is going to be important. Getting Michael Robinson more snaps as well as getting a slight upgrade in overall blocking and experience at TE, imo, should do well in getting Lynch and the Ground Attack back on track.

Ultimately, making opponents fear our running game again will open up our Play Action options thus getting our Passing Game going as a result.

Again, unfortunate injury to Willson but there is a silver lining of optimism to come out of it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's never a "gain" when the players the coaching staff has chosen to be the most capable and worthy of their snaps and targets gets hurt.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I thought we started making hay in the running game when we went with two TE's yesterday. Kellen could help that w Miller.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Opinions will differ but I think Michael Robinson with more snaps paving the way for Lynch in the Running Game with some check down looks in the Passing Game is better served for the Seahawk's offensive identity than a "shiny new toy" rookie TE whose limited snaps come behind Zach Miller.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Hawknballs":154h5npm said:
It's never a "gain" when the players the coaching staff has chosen to be the most capable and worthy of their snaps and targets gets hurt.

Not to be argumentative, but this is clearly not true. Drew Bledsoe getting hurt is probably the best thing that ever happened to the Patriots. I don't feel like compiling a list, but it has happened time and time again.

That said, the situation we are in with our tight ends isn't remotely close or comparable to the Bledsoe/Brady situation.

I do think more reps for Robinson would be a good thing, but I don't think that's going to happen at all.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
LargentFan":23ypu9i3 said:
Hawknballs":23ypu9i3 said:

Not to be argumentative, but this is clearly not true. Drew Bledsoe getting hurt is probably the best thing that ever happened to the Patriots. I don't feel like compiling a list, but it has happened time and time again.

That said, the situation we are in with our tight ends isn't remotely close or comparable to the Bledsoe/Brady situation.

I do think more reps for Robinson would be a good thing, but I don't think that's going to happen at all.

The best example pertaining to the Seahawks is Thurmond getting hurt which lead to Sherman starting and becoming who he is today.

Anyways, hated seeing Willson get hurt. But hopefully Mike Rob will get some more snaps and maybe a couple wheel route tds too. :D

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I would agree it is never a gain to lose a number two on the depth chart to injury esp in the last game of the season where it stands to reason the lost player has their best understanding of the playbook and team chemistry.

That said who knew Maxwell would look so good this fast, so maybe it will end up working out well for us. No matter what I appreciate the silver lining approach to the situation because what is done is done. I ultimately hope the rumors that Willson has had this injury before and can manage through it prove to be true. That way we have all options available.

Exittium

Reaction score
Well he should have never been injured in the 1st place.. just like that play should have never happened... The one before YES by all means but not the one after

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
LargentFan":28p35b3r said:
Hawknballs":28p35b3r said:

WTIII's injury in 2011 propelled a backup named Richard Sherman into a starting job and he's never let go of it. (Edit: didn't see Keaton had already pointed out) In general though I understand what Hawknballs is saying; injuries usually are catastrophic to a team. I will miss Willson until he gets back. The guy is solid all the way around and has made the most of his opportunities.

I do like the plays where TE#2 drops to FB before the snap; it's a constraint play that also sets up the defense to fail later in the game. But the proposed increased runs and pass plays for MRob is exactly the antedote this offense needs for the playoffs. There is plenty of evidence that Marshawn's production goes up dramatically with #26 lead blocking.

Who are Willson's snaps going to go to? Don't you go with MRob over Kellon Davis because he's the better blocker and catcher?

main

Reaction score
I think Russell Wilson was getting very comfortable passing to Luke Willson. That hurts us a bit.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Those are all really good examples of good fortune.

But heading into the post season, there is no 'gain' via losing a player your coaches planned on having around. Sorry.

themunn

Reaction score
We were very successful last year running with some dumpoffs to Robinson in the right flat last year.

I too would like to see more Robinson snaps

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sorry op, but ngth.

1) they only used him 30% of the time last year
2) harvin will be back

CANHawk

Reaction score
yeah... I like MRob too, but I think it's pretty evident that he isn't some magic secret to Marshawn's success. Trust me, Pete and Cable love to pound the rock. The LIVE for it. If having the fullback in there meant averaging 5 YPC, the fullback would be in there 90% of the time, regardless of whether or not 5th round pick Luke Willson is available or not.

No. Losing Willson sucks. The only silver lining I can see is that it might mean my homeboy Cameron Morrah comes back! ;)

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2bcdo1jo said:
Sorry op, but ngth.

1) they only used him 30% of the time last year
2) harvin will be back

1. 30% is better than 15-20%. Regardless, as last year as shown you Robinson can do plenty as the lead blocker and Marshawn eyes, a nice safety valve option out backfield, or a smart protector in blitz pick-up. We've all seen M-Rob do all these things over the last 2-3 years and the Seahawks be a better team from it. Imo, establishing our feared running game in the playoffs is going to determine our offensive success.

I'm betting Lynch is a better rusher with Michael Robinson in front of him than any other FB/Hback typed we have used or when its just him as a single. I will try evidence of this later when I'm off work.

2) Harvin MIGHT be back, and even so he'll be very, very limited. And would likely take snaps from Kearse in shared playing time (thus keeping both players healthier). I'm not sure how many 4WR sets we run a game but I'm sure its not a lot.

Again, establishing a feared, consistent, efficient running game will be the key in opening a better passing offense and keeping pressure of Russell Wilson. Based on prior years and what lve seen this year in sample sizes, It all starts with M-Rob to help Lynch be the most successful he can be to go full beast mode and dictate the flow.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Don't agree. 2 TE sets are super important both for run game and neutralizing pass rush. Kellen Davis isn't 1/5th the player that Willson is. We use a lot of 2 TE and the cupboard is now bare. Very unhappy with this injury. I love Mike Rob but if we get another TE dinged up, we're screwed.