Undisciplined football

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Blame the refs if you want but each game the penalties are getting worse. The Seahawks haven't adapted to the calls and it's hurting the team. Crucial penalties at inopportune times. How many times did the Cards get bailed out on calls that would have ended their drives yesterday? Sherman with 2 costly 2 PIs. I know he was covering Fitzgerald. But still. The team keeps increasing in the penalty area each game. Instead of improving they are getting worse. They know the refs are going to call them tight. They have been all year. No excuses at this point. These things will hurt the team against good teams in close games. They did against the 49ers, they did against the Colts, and at home against the Cards, they did again.

getnasty

Reaction score
The McDaniel personal foul on the Cards last drive was horrible.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Ravens were the most penalized team in the NFL last year.... they won the Super Bowl.

Blame penalties all you want..... its not the reason for a win or a loss.

acbass

Reaction score
Yeah, I am one of the few optimists around here but I completely agree on this point. You won't win games when you have nearly as many penalty yards as total offense. The refs have obviously chosen to call our games aggresively. If we can't adjust it will be our down fall.

Polaris

Reaction score
I am going to make a comparison that is going to rankle and I HOPE the 'hawks prove wrong next week, but today it applies.

I am wondering if right now the Seahawks are a better version (mentally) of the Detroit Lions....a team with a lot of talent and huge advantages due to it's two competitors forced to play with backup QBs for two MONTHS (and Aaron Rodgers still hasn't been cleared) and STILL managed to fritter it all away (and is now out of the playoffs) because of it's own mental errors and mistakes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1duo7v90 said:
Ravens were the most penalized team in the NFL last year.... they won the Super Bowl.

agreed to an extent... but it sure has been an important facet of our last two losses. We can see where penalties have either derailed an offensive drive or kept another team's going.

While not the main factor, certainly an important contributing one in the games we've lost.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":33x21x33 said:

Thats not really true at all however, too many penalties will cost you a game, thinking penalties don't matter is kind of silly.

That being said Sherman's PI's come with the territory he's an elite or the best CB in the league, yes he's the best, he plays the position physically lots of contact thus an occasional PI.

It's the pre snap line penalties and clock penalties that absolutely suck. I can't stand those and the majority of them seem to come in the red zone, at least this year.

I fell off my high horse last night, the Seahawks are still amazing but I'm no longer quick to predict a SB birth.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2nkwcb65 said:
ImTheScientist":2nkwcb65 said:

Thats not really true at all however, too many penalties will cost you a game, thinking penalties don't matter is kind of silly.

That being said Sherman's PI's come with the territory he's an elite or the best CB in the league, yes he's the best, he plays the position physically lots of contact thus an occasional PI.

It's the pre snap line penalties and clock penalties that absolutely suck. I can't stand those and the majority of them seem to come in the red zone, at least this year.

I fell off my high horse last night, the Seahawks are still amazing but I'm no longer quick to predict a SB birth.

Actually that is true. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Look it up. Ravens had 145 penalties and lead the league. They also won the superbowl. You are grasping for anything negative you can....I find it silly. Especially considering I instantly came up something that proved you wrong. GG though. :141847_bnono:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The Ravens winning the Superbowl despite leading the league in penalties isnt proof that penalties dont matter.

Its proof that in certain circumstances, certain teams can overcome the mistakes and find ways to win.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":5uf0zysp said:
NFSeahawks628":5uf0zysp said:
ImTheScientist":5uf0zysp said:

Actually that is true. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Look it up. Ravens had 145 penalties and lead the league. They also won the superbowl. You are grasping for anything negative you can....I find it silly. Especially considering I instantly came up something that proved you wrong. GG though. :141847_bnono:

I wasn't attacking you, I just don't agree with penalties not mattering regardless of what the Ravens did last year. Yards matter, penalties matter, giving up a first down because of a penalty matters. I'm grasping at anything negative I can? No I'm not, penalties have been a problem all year, it's annoying and it has an effect on the outcome.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":p4e4gm8x said:
NFSeahawks628":p4e4gm8x said:
ImTheScientist":p4e4gm8x said:

Hawkpower is exactly right. Penalties ABSOLUTELY CAN CONTRIBUTE TO COSTING YOU A GAME, THERE IS ZERO DEBATE TO THIS. Phenomenal teams can overcome penalties, like the Hawks have done multiple times this year, and the Ravens did last year.

Yesterday was the perfect example in fact. The Cardinals had two scoring drives in the fourth quarter. The first was a field goal drive aided by two penalites for 36 yards that put them into field goal position. The second was a touchdown drive in which we were called for defensive holding on a failed third down that would have led to a punt from the Cardinals 49 yard line.

We're those penalites the only reason the Hawks lost the game? Certainly not. Did they contribut to the loss: ABSOLUTELY, NO QUESTION, END OF ARGUMENT.

And don't go waiving your finger at others like you're all high and mighty when your argument is flawed. :141847_bnono:

Anthony!

Reaction score
adding in now having seen the game on TV and looking at the play by play our defense while good (I was at the game and thought this same thing), had more culpability than I thought, reason AZ had the ball 15 minutes longer than us, however all 15 minutes can be attributed to penalties extending drives. In fact every scoring drive they had was aided by a drive saving penalty and some stupid ones.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
:141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono:

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Arizona had 18 extra plays yesterday as a result of penalties according to ESPN. But obviously this had no effect on the outcome of the game......

(I'm not blaming the refs at all here, just reiterating that penalties can in fact play a significant role in a team's success or failure)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1exm6w35 said:

When your offense is struggling, penalties matter. They matter A LOT.

Yesterday was a perfect example. 4th and two from the goal and possibility to go for it to score a TD. But no, stupid delay of game, which is INEXCUSABLE. Leads to botched FG.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Undisciplined football?

No.

Agressive football?

Yes.

Holmgren had one of the least penalized teams when he was here. Consistently.
Pete has one of the highest penalized teams since he has been here. Consistently.
While penalties are a big problem, I prefer Pete's style regarding aggression which corresponds to penalties..
Correct pre snap penalties and unsportsman like penalties that we have control over and rock on dudes!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":3n602rpz said:
Undisciplined football?

No.

Agressive football?

Yes.

How are false starts, holding and delay of game penalties aggressive football? That's just stupid football, and it costs us on a weekly basis.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
They aren't.
How many false starts and delays have we had this year? I would guess a small percentage.
Holding is subjective and happens on every play.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1djn87r4 said:
They aren't.
How many false starts and delays have we had this year? I would guess a small percentage.
Holding is subjective and happens on every play.

We have had a pretty significant amount of penalty calls in crucial red zone and goal to go situations this year, both pre snap/delay of game.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Penalties do matter. Saying that they don't is ridiculous. I could also assume that one doesn't understand the game of football very well if they don't think penalties are affecting the game. If they didn't there wouldn't be so many gripes about them. Honestly no one would care. The nature of penalties and when they occur can and do affect the game. The Seahawks seem to commit penalties at worst time. That has an effect on the game. Especially in tight games like yesterdays. Evidence is in the games the Seahawks have lost. Penalties have had a hand in each of those losses. If you don't think so, then go back and re-watch the games. Also watch Superbowl XL too for another game that was impacted by crucial penalties.

Point about aggressiveness. You can still be aggressive and not be penalized. SF is aggressive defense, St. Louis plays aggressive defense, Panthers play aggressive defense. None of those teams are penalized like the Seahawks are. The fact that the Seahawks are not adjusting to penalties each week is quite disturbing. Need to improve that area.

Latest posts