Undisciplined football

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They flat out helped the Cards on that last drive. That and giving up 3rd down conversions and a long TD. They ARE a part of why they lost, and it's getting old. Of course, the ticky tack stuff is annoying. But McDaniel did that crap on his own.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's types of penalties, aggressive penalties on defense that are tone setters can be absorbed by having them early, you are setting the temperment of the game. Unsportsmenlike plays are dumb plays and typically reactionary where the second person gets caught and can cost you big yards and a player.

Offensive penalties are our big killers. we have had delay of game calls which should never happen, we have had false starts which should never happen with the same QB behind center, we have had alignment penalties. Holding penalties I can understand in some circumstances if your protecting Wilson, holding calls on running plays and away from the ball direction are dumb lazy penalties that don't need to happen.

Drive killers keep us having to struggle and the games closer then they need to be.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Polaris":1ktjp8p6 said:
I am going to make a comparison that is going to rankle and I HOPE the 'hawks prove wrong next week, but today it applies.

I am wondering if right now the Seahawks are a better version (mentally) of the Detroit Lions....a team with a lot of talent and huge advantages due to it's two competitors forced to play with backup QBs for two MONTHS (and Aaron Rodgers still hasn't been cleared) and STILL managed to fritter it all away (and is now out of the playoffs) because of it's own mental errors and mistakes.

Facepalm.gif

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3dbdjv8e said:
Blame the refs if you want but each game the penalties are getting worse. The Seahawks haven't adapted to the calls and it's hurting the team. Crucial penalties at inopportune times. How many times did the Cards get bailed out on calls that would have ended their drives yesterday? Sherman with 2 costly 2 PIs. I know he was covering Fitzgerald. But still. The team keeps increasing in the penalty area each game. Instead of improving they are getting worse. They know the refs are going to call them tight. They have been all year. No excuses at this point. These things will hurt the team against good teams in close games. They did against the 49ers, they did against the Colts, and at home against the Cards, they did again.
I don't blame the Refs on most calls they make against bone headed plays, but when they call ticky-tacky, or make big mistakes on questionable calls, I'm not for letting them off the hook for it.
Even the best of these can and do make mistakes, they aren't infallible.
Even BEFORE the SB game in 2005, the Stealers were calling the Officials for screwing up calls against them, in games leading up to XL AND THEY WERE.
So giving these guys the green light on all their calls?, nope.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mfkv9t0 said:
LudwigsDrummer":3mfkv9t0 said:
Undisciplined football?

No.

Agressive football?

Yes.

How are false starts, holding and delay of game penalties aggressive football? That's just stupid football, and it costs us on a weekly basis.

Might as well add 2 stupid facemask penalties and a dumbass personal foul penalty. And anyone claiming that call on McDaniels is crap hasn't watched any NFL games this year. They're calling that all the time. It's a stupid lack of composure. The Cardinals are a chippy team, you can't go doing that crap and getting called for it.

I just don't know how you can get false starts and delay of game penalties AT HOME. Just stupidity.

And yes, the refs might not have cost us the game, but they sealed the deal. That holding call on 3rd down where the guy held the flag for 15 seconds while he considered throwing it.....that led to the one Cardinal TD. The ridiculously bad INT where the football hit the ground FULL LENGTH and was reviewed....that's just serving it up on a platter.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't do enough to win the game on offense, but if even 1 of those calls is called correctly....we might be talking differently.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Assuming all penalties are equal is lazy analysis.

There are effort penalties and there are bone-head penalties. And a whole bunch of grey area in the middle. Some are forgivable and some aren't. Some are earned based solely on reputation, some on style of play, and some are just plain bad calls. In any given NFL game, the referees are only calling a handful of numerous call-able fouls. If you aren't making an attempt to contextualize the penalties within the framework of Seattle's style of play and their reputation, then you're statement about them being "undisciplined" has no meaning. Not every penalty is equal and not every penalty is a mistake by the player.

marko358

Reaction score
To me, the only way this team doesn't get to the Super Bowl is because of a key injury(s) or stupid penalties costing them a game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Are some of you seriously arguing with someone that believes penalties play no role in the outcome of games?

The Ravens winning the SB, while being the most penalized team in the league, is hardly enough of an adequate sample size to decide penalties "just don't matter". If I am wrong, then coaches must be really stupid. Why spend so much time drawing up plays, coaching and trying to gain yards when all you really have to do is go out there, hold, interfere and jump off sides?

One way or another, penalties influence the outcome of every game.

justafan

Reaction score
I would bet the Ravens didnt committ 10 penalties or 100 yards worth of penalties in the AFCG or the SB

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I don't mind the penalties like the defensive holding or PI so much, because over the the long run I think we benefit from that aggressiveness more than we get hurt. But the offensive penalites are drive kilelrs, particularly when the O is struggling. And the personal fouls on D are killers too. Along with the one by Mcdonald the facemasking on Kam hurt. I think it was 3-0 and had the Cards pinned at the 3. They get a decent run on first down, not a first down run, but a 15 yard facemasking moves them over the 20. I think that was the drive they turned into a FG.
I had visions of forcing the Cards to punt from inisde their 10, get good field position and extend the lead. Intstead that penalty kick-started a scoring drive.

CEHawk

Reaction score
If you want to talk penalties, how about the lack of them.... Watch the game over and see how many holding penalties AZ's OL got away with. LOL A lot of teams are intimidated by the physical play of the Seahawks and they complain to the NFL and the NFL is listening. Pete will tell you he expected that and we have to learn how to deal with it. I think he hit it right on the button there, this is just another learning cycle in the growth of our great team!