Why Seattle Should Have Let the 49ers Score

sutz

Reaction score
It's not like we were ripping of big gains all day. Judgement call. :229031_shrug:

SeatownJay

Reaction score
49ers probably would've stopped at the one yard line anyway just to make sure they ran the clock down.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's easier said than done to let a team score. Don't think the Niners didn't know the situation either.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Holgren did this in the Super bowl and Belicheck did too in order to save previous seconds for a come back attempt. And after the Gore run

Veilside

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":2d553ntq said:
After they converted the 3rd down that gave them 1st & goal just before the 2 minute warning.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013/12 ... um=twitter

Put your team in the best position to win the game: down by 2 with 25 seconds left vs. down by 6 with over 2 minutes left. Pete blew it.

I agree with you. I was wanting us to let them score. We gave Russ no chance at the end.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":3n87ca8y said:
Mike Holgren did this in the Super bowl and Belicheck did too in order to save previous seconds for a come back attempt. And after the Gore run

The only opportunity they really had to let them score would be on the designed Kaep run.. aside from that, the Niners were running it up the middle intentionally to not score and to milk clock.

ivotuk

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3pnxsq7j said:
Do you think Gore didn't score on purpose on the 51 yard return?

He was about to get tackled and pulled up lame so it was probably one of those reasons why he pulled up.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
sutz":23qm78mj said:
It's not like we were ripping of big gains all day. Judgement call. :229031_shrug:

We were going to need a big gain or two in a damn hurry to get a FG with 25 seconds left. Our odds were definitely better of getting a TD in two minutes than a FG in 25 seconds.

jkitsune

Reaction score
ivotuk":2u7oli14 said:
lvnginhwktwn":2u7oli14 said:

He was about to get tackled and pulled up lame so it was probably one of those reasons why he pulled up.

I think he went down in bounds intentionally. Smart play.

I'm more irritated about burning that timeout before the 3rd and 7. No good reason to not pocket that one and see what happens on the 3rd down play, and timeout management really should be second nature to these guys by now. I wanted them to let SF score as well, but I at least understood that very few coaches will ever willingly do that.

Veilside

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2rvxhfdz said:

To me it looked like he had no shot at scoring. Earl had the angle and the speed to run him down whether he slowed up or not.

Pak40.

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":16tkb10r said:

He knew he was going to get tackled or pushed out of bounds so he dropped to the ground still in bounds, kept the clock moving, great play.

bigcc

Reaction score
jkitsune":13ar9hzu said:
ivotuk":13ar9hzu said:
lvnginhwktwn":13ar9hzu said:

I think he went down in bounds intentionally. Smart play.

I'm more irritated about burning that timeout before the 3rd and 7. No good reason to not pocket that one and see what happens on the 3rd down play, and timeout management really should be second nature to these guys by now. I wanted them to let SF score as well, but I at least understood that very few coaches will ever willingly do that.

There was absolutely no reason to call timeouts when they can still get a first down and be put at 7 or 8 and goal.