Why Seattle Should Have Let the 49ers Score

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
THE TABS":3bdd773f said:
Name ONE TIME when that strategy actually worked.

Never seen it happen.

Don't have an example off the top of my head, but that really doesn't matter.

As a football fan, you have surely seen the following scenarios:
*Team gets the ball via kickoff with 2:00 left, needs a TD.
*Team gets the ball via kickoff with 25 seconds left, needs a FG.

Which one has worked out more often?

It really doesn't even remotely matter what led to that scenario existing; all that matters is the result of what situation the team ends up in.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
The Radish":1t3x1r1g said:
Boy you girls sure are good with your decisions after the fact.

:roll:

Uhhh I guess I could screenshot my text messages from right when it was happening? It was incredibly obvious to anyone who took two seconds to think about it.

Veilside

Reaction score
The Radish":vbamhpyj said:
Boy you girls sure are good with your decisions after the fact.

Too bad there is no way to prove how we were thinking during the game. Guess it's just best to assume we're lying for some odd reason.

kearly

Reaction score
Pete goofed, but I think he was staying true to his principles. This is the one time that "always compete" bit Pete in the ass. And even still, we are talking about the difference between 3% win probability and 7%. And for a game that probably won't mean anything at season's end.

That run by Kaepernick on 3rd and 8 was colossally huge. Had he run it in for a TD, even then it wouldn't have been as big. Credit to Roman for the perfect play call there. Seattle should have seen it coming.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3j71z9wk said:
Do you think Gore didn't score on purpose on the 51 yard return?

Nah. Saw he was going to get caught and smartly dropped down to kill clock rather than going out of bounds. It looked silly -- the ref was even laughing about it -- but it was a heady play.

The Radish

Reaction score
Boy and girls we all only have opinions. As bad as we want to be field generals we aren't.

I have never been partial to "after the fact" complaining about a loss.

We lost mainly because the ninnirs came to play lots harder than we did and we got beat. No one or two plays or calls or dark of the moon can change that.

I want to punch Thomas in the mouth for being out of position most of the damned game and especially giving up that 51 yard run to Gore.

But we scored 17 point!!!! 17. Our offense stunk up the place starting with the middle of the second quarter. Its like they left just before halftime to head to Market Street for lunch.

Put the blame on how poorly we played on offense. Not on some few plays. That's my opinion worth just as much as yours.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
kearly":213k00h0 said:
Pete goofed, but I think he was staying true to his principles. This is the one time that "always compete" bit Pete in the ass. And even still, we are talking about the difference between 3% win probability and 7%. And for a game that probably won't mean anything at season's end.

That run by Kaepernick on 3rd and 8 was colossally huge. Had he run it in for a TD, even then it wouldn't have been as big. Credit to Roman for the perfect play call there. Seattle should have seen it coming.

I agree about the game probably not meaning anything at season's end, but hard to imagine that being down either 5 or 7 points (Niners would have gone for two after a TD) with 2:00 left leaves us at a mere 7% win equity.

Veilside

Reaction score
The Radish":2gfwwm01 said:
Boy and girls we all only have opinions. As bad as we want to be field generals we aren't.

I have never been partial to "after the fact" complaining about a loss.

We lost mainly because the ninnirs came to play lots harder than we did and we got beat. No one or two plays or calls or dark of the moon can change that.

I want to punch Thomas in the mouth for being out of position most of the damned game and especially giving up that 51 yard run to Gore.

But we scored 17 point!!!! 17. Our offense stunk up the place starting with the middle of the second quarter. Its like they left just before halftime to head to Market Street for lunch.

Put the blame on how poorly we played on offense. Not on some few plays. That's my opinion worth just as much as yours.

I didn't feel we played that poorly on offense and felt we were doing well moving the ball (minus the penalties) against a good defense on the road. I felt we could have scored more if we had given our offense better field position. Our STs were uncharacteristically weak this game with the exception of Tate's long return.

Veilside

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2hmk7g0e said:
kearly":2hmk7g0e said:

I agree about the game probably not meaning anything at season's end, but hard to imagine that being down either 5 or 7 points (Niners would have gone for two after a TD) with 2:00 left leaves us at a mere 7% win equity.

Agreed. I think 7% is way too low. Wilson is starting to approach how I felt about watching Brady in clutch situations.

Tical21

Reaction score
Kearly nailed it. Letting a team do anything is not in Pete's vocabulary. He feels it sets a bad president for his team's mindset. Same reason he didn't call timeouts in the Rams game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The bigger question is why does RW throw a hail mary that doesn't reach the end zone when there was no possibility of a way to stop the clock if the receiver somehow caught it? You could of had two plays to make it into FG range but instead an absolutely worthless pass on the first play ends the game.

razgriz737

Reaction score
SonicHawk":27sb7fy3 said:
The bigger question is why does RW throw a hail mary that doesn't reach the end zone when there was no possibility of a way to stop the clock if the receiver somehow caught it? You could of had two plays to make it into FG range but instead an absolutely worthless pass on the first play ends the game.
This is actually a good point. If Kearse caught that, there's no he was getting out of bounds, and there probably wasn't enough time to somehow run down the field and spike it.

themunn

Reaction score
DPI moves the chains and stops the clock
incompletion stops the clock
there's no way we were catching two intermediate sideline passes and getting OB, so it's the best option

SonicHawk

Reaction score
themunn":2xpcqal8 said:
DPI moves the chains and stops the clock
incompletion stops the clock
there's no way we were catching two intermediate sideline passes and getting OB, so it's the best option

Incompletion doesn't do us any good, a PI on basically a hail mary just won't happen.

And anyways, haven't you watched our WR? We accrue more OPI's than any team I've ever seen.

knownone

Reaction score
Russ had to throw the Hail Mary, there wasn't enough time for underneath routes.

The strategy itself was fine, had we got a decent return we'd probably win the game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
knownone":3rrmaxy3 said:
Russ had to throw the Hail Mary, there wasn't enough time for underneath routes.

The strategy itself was fine, had we got a decent return we'd probably win the game.

There wasn't enough time for a terrible HM either.

knownone

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ze7e6ge said:
knownone":1ze7e6ge said:

There wasn't enough time for a terrible HM either.
Agreed. We needed a chunk play though, if Kearse stayed on his feet he may have caught it and given us on opportunity for one more play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The 49ers would have knelt at the 1. They aren't stupid they knew their best chance to win was to take as much time off the clock as possible.

You guys are only assuming they would run into the endzone, but they wouldn't have. They were in full "run the clock down" mode.

Latest posts