Why Seattle Should Have Let the 49ers Score

Veilside

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":4yu2ukyg said:
Veilside":4yu2ukyg said:
Well I really hope we don't end up in that situation again then, because we took the low percentage route out of pride and the high percentage outcome happened. If anything I hope this makes us use our time outs more wisely in the future.

I agree. But he did likewise in the St. Louis game; we just didn't get burnt by it. He didn't call timeouts at the end of the game when he certainly should have to save us some time, and I really think that it was due to some sort of misguided sense of "not making it look to the defense like he thought they would give up a score."

I feel that the Rams game situation is different due to how terrible the offense was that game. I didn't trust the offense at all in that situation and was more than happy to run out the clock and put it in the defenses hands. Not to mention the Rams needed a TD not a field goal to go ahead. I had much more faith in the offense driving the field in this game than I did against the Rams.

gargantual

Reaction score
DavidSeven":22qsx2yy said:
At least defending the play leaves open the chance for a strip.

Outstanding point. I'll ALWAYS take the probabilities that our D can pull off a turnover. Pretty big odds there. Probably not the 7% that was mentioned earlier, but better than probably any other teams odds to force a turnover.

gargantual

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":26jb2qu8 said:
gargantual":26jb2qu8 said:
Sarlacc83":26jb2qu8 said:
Zebulon Dak":26jb2qu8 said:
We should have let them score. Fire Bevell.

Finally, some sanity among all the people who prefer to second guess a no-win situation.

Should we now start arguing about the proper usage of the word "ironic" :)?

Should we start talking about the use of the word sarcasm? ;)

That too.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
gargantual":2spy93c2 said:
DavidSeven":2spy93c2 said:

Outstanding point. I'll ALWAYS take the probabilities that our D can pull off a turnover. Pretty big odds there. Probably not the 7% that was mentioned earlier, but better than probably any other teams odds to force a turnover.

Those odds are incredibly low when a team's entire goal is to protect the football rather than to gain yardage. When that's a ball-carrier's whole objective, best of luck getting a strip.

gargantual

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2e6bbltv said:
gargantual":2e6bbltv said:
DavidSeven":2e6bbltv said:

Those odds are incredibly low when a team's entire goal is to protect the football rather than to gain yardage. When that's a ball-carrier's whole objective, best of luck getting a strip.

Yeah, I know that today, but that's what I was yelling at the screen for yesterday! Hope springs eternal...

Veilside

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3lp4otm4 said:
gargantual":3lp4otm4 said:
DavidSeven":3lp4otm4 said:

This exactly.

Don't get me wrong I have faith in our defense to make stops, but when the Niners only needed a field goal to take the lead and were already in the red zone we are asking way too much of our defense to make some miracle happen when it was clear they were gonna do nothing but run the ball and prevent a TO. If the Niners were smart, they wouldn't have even tried to score a TD in that situation (can't say for sure if they did or didn't).

Niners played the situation perfect.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
The problem was defensive play calling. Even before the gore run, the worst possible scenario was them running the clock and kicking a last second field goal. We should have sold out a bit to stop the run, forcing them to throw. That way, there is a chance for incomplete passes to stop the clock and also the Chance for a game winning interception.

justafan

Reaction score
I imagine they would have kneeled down and still wasted the time.They run thru these scenarios also.

NavySeaHawk

Reaction score
I agree, I was hoping Pete would let the 9ers score, so the Seahawks could get some more time. I was actually more shocked that Gore made it through the defense. Oh well, the zebras pissed me off in that game too.

Oh well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. :1:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Field goals have never been blocked... especially not by the Seahawks against the Ninnies.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3ihpcs1i said:
Field goals have never been blocked... especially not by the Seahawks against the Ninnies.

What percentage of times have Niners kicks been blocked by us? There wasn't a good shot at us stopping them regardless of how you look at it

SonicHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2dnixjny said:
SonicHawk":2dnixjny said:

What percentage of times have Niners kicks been blocked by us? There wasn't a good shot at us stopping them regardless of how you look at it

I don't give up touchdowns, things happen.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ken Whisenhunt lost his entire locker room after telling his players to "let them score" in a game vs. the Jets last year. The Jets RB ended up downing the ball at the 1 anyway. On Sunday, Frank Gore made an incredibly heady play to stay in bounds after his big run. He would've stopped at the 1. Last year, Jim Harbaugh declined a safety and 2 points vs. Seattle, so they could run out the clock and end the game. He would have told Gore to stop at the 1.

This is all moot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Telling them "let them score" just sounds more like "you didn't stop them from going the entire field, so let's concede that you didn't do your job"

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Brian Burke is a hack and we really don't need him to tell us this. It's really just common sense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13hyjv56 said:
Ken Whisenhunt lost his entire locker room after telling his players to "let them score" in a game vs. the Jets last year. The Jets RB ended up downing the ball at the 1 anyway. On Sunday, Frank Gore made an incredibly heady play to stay in bounds after his big run. He would've stopped at the 1. Last year, Jim Harbaugh declined a safety and 2 points vs. Seattle, so they could run out the clock and end the game. He would have told Gore to stop at the 1.

This is all moot.

This is a great point and Pete Carroll made a better one, "I don't think this has ever won a game." And it hasn't. It takes away the team's confidence.

Pete also said that SF has gone through these scenarios and there was no way they were going to run the ball in and leave time on the clock for Russell Wilson. That's why Gore went down, IN BOUNDS.

Never let them score in a regular season game. It may be a viable strategy in the Superbowl but not in regular season.

Holmgren and New England both lost a Superbowl when they employed this strategy and even NY tried not to score but did so by accident. So it's not a surprise strategy to either side and could just as easily lose you the game, not to mention your team's confidence. That strategy didn't lose them the game, but it sure didn't win it for them either.

Latest posts