Pete Carroll vs all other former Hawk coaches

seabowl

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a number of differences from the way Pete coaches this team compared to former Hawk coaches but IMO one big difference is WR blocking. He has every WR blocking when they don't have the ball and this has allowed the ball carrier to gain many more yards than if no blocking took place. I do not ever remember any Hawk team prior to Pete's arrival having their WR's block to this extent. Tate especially has become quite proficient in doing this.

A little blocking goes a long way.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think the biggest difference in coaching is that Pete actually plays the best players and not just the guys whose names are recognizable or the ones that get paid the most. The starters know that if they don't produce the guy behind him will surely get his chance. I don't ever remember that being the case with any other coach.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I have great respect for our prior coaches but every one of them was old school.

Pete is new school.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, Knox was my boy but Pete has the attitude I like regarding player development. Knox and Mike seemed to value their veterans, sometimes to the detriment of developing their young guys.

As far as the WR needing to buy in to the blocking needs of the team, I think most current NFL WRs put in the effort. It is just that since the Seahawks do more running than most teams, it is a trait that has to be an asset if they want to see time on the field.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Rather than start another Pete thread, I'll put this little observation in here. I was listening to RW's press conference the other day, and his tempo of speaking and the pitch of his voice made me think he studies Pete Carroll's press conferences as well as all the other tape he studies. Anyone else noticed that?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is turning the Seahawks into the USC of the NFL...dominant, physical, and a team that nobody wants to play.

On offense we have a QB that takes care of the ball and plays efficiently, and a balanced attack of both run and pass.
On defense the secondary is lock-down, the linebackers are focused, and the line is deep.
Physicality and big-plays are a common theme on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

...just like USC.

I always admired Pete when he was at USC. Those teams were scary good, and I was always envious. Now he's coaching one of my teams, and I couldn't be happier.

chris98251

Reaction score
Holmgren emphasized WR blocking as well. Each had their own style Knox, Holmgren, Carroll, all very good.

raisethe3

Reaction score
fenderbender123":24ukwse4 said:
Pete Carroll is turning the Seahawks into the USC of the NFL...dominant, physical, and a team that nobody wants to play.

On offense we have a QB that takes care of the ball and plays efficiently, and a balanced attack of both run and pass.
On defense the secondary is lock-down, the linebackers are focused, and the line is deep.
Physicality and big-plays are a common theme on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

...just like USC.

I always admired Pete when he was at USC. Those teams were scary good, and I was always envious. Now he's coaching one of my teams, and I couldn't be happier.

You said it all right here. Good analysis.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WRT blocking, it's a part of any WR's job, but you notice it more with our guys because we run the ball so much and put so much emphasis on it. The reason you see our guys put more effort and attitude into it is because they want to be a part of the tough guy persona instilling in this team. That helps win games, and scores them major points with Pete.