Wilson now leading the MVP race?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I did a cursory check and didn't see this yet.

It seems at least one national writer thinks our own Russell Wilson is leading the race for NFL MVP right now:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ead-mvp-race?campaign=Facebook_writers_brandt

Wilson is still somewhat underrated, thanks in part to his height (5-foot-11) and the fact that he plays in the Pacific Northwest; though his dominant performance in Monday night's 34-7 win over the New Orleans Saints helped correct that a bit. The bottom line is, one day I think we'll talk about him in the same way we currently talk about guys like Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. He has that kind of ability.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He honestly probably should be, I just don't see how NFL voters will overlook Peyton's gaudy stats and not vote for him.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
The article postulates that his chances would be due to Manning fatigue. If thats a real phenomenon, I think he has a puncher's chance. But he'll have the Lombardi Trophy and the Rozelle trophy for SB MVP after the season, the MVP would just be a bonus.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I love R.W. But honestly, I doubt he has a chance. And that's not his fault. I live on the east coast and people (who don't really follow the sport closely) keeps saying ... "It is because of the Seattle Defense" and "RW is still too short" and "He is not asked to throw a lot and win games" and more excuses like that.
And a lot of people feel Manning should have won it last year ... and so on.
I think we should all focus on that Lombardi think, which is more important than the MVP anyway.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Manning has this one in the bag.

Russell has a good chance to come in second though.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I bet Peyton gets mvp but it looks like RW will get an All-Pro nod. Would this be the first Seahawk QB to make the All-Pro team?

Starrman44

Reaction score
HawkNuts":6f97poj9 said:
I bet Peyton gets mvp but it looks like RW will get an All-Pro nod. Would this be the first Seahawk QB to make the All-Pro team?

That would be real cool if Russell gets an All-Pro spot. I love this year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Carolina and STL will cancel out Brees. The cold will impact Manning, but the race for MVP will end eerily similar to last year's ROY. All of us scratching our heads and Wilson gushing over his votes, while calling them "undeserved".

No worries, 12. Wilson will be a multiple MVP (barring the unforeseable).

belizehawkfan

Reaction score
Personally would be more impressed with an all-pro nod. Feels like that award is more legit. MVP has become so stat based and a bit of a popularity contest. Most voters fall back on stats and 40-some TDs beats 20-some. Only a handful of experts out there aren't fooled by statistics. Statistics are like the cliff notes of player evaluation.
Also think there is way too much bias against PC for him to ever win the coach of the year award without going 16-0. Even then it would be close.
Possibly the most deserving Hawk of all in my opinion is ET for DPOY. But he also may fall victim to voters reliance on statistics and lose out to a DE with gaudy sack numbers or a LB leading in perhaps one of the most misleading stats of all, total tackles.

Personally here are my picks and then where I think voters will have them.

MVP: RW should be 2nd, Will end up 4th.
COY: PC should be 1st, will end up 3rd.
DPOY: ET should be 1st, will end up 3rd.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Manning will most likely win, but RW will win Super Bowl MVP. How sweet is that?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":299o7fuy said:
I did a cursory check and didn't see this yet.

It seems at least one national writer thinks our own Russell Wilson is leading the race for NFL MVP right now:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ead-mvp-race?campaign=Facebook_writers_brandt

Wilson is still somewhat underrated, thanks in part to his height (5-foot-11) and the fact that he plays in the Pacific Northwest; though his dominant performance in Monday night's 34-7 win over the New Orleans Saints helped correct that a bit. The bottom line is, one day I think we'll talk about him in the same way we currently talk about guys like Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. He has that kind of ability.

I won't say "it'll never happen", but it'll never happen (this year).

I was looking at an ESPN poll the other day in which they asked you to rank the "young" quarterbacks and they had Luck getting first place by miles. If people can't see that Wilson is playing better than Luck (by that I mean actually winning and not digressing), I don't see them voting for Russell over Brady or Manning (again, this year).

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
This is still Manning's award for this year, and the soft final four games for Denver aren't going to change that. Russell gathering enough votes to finish second would still be a good accomplishment this year given just how awesome Peyton has been.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Value to his team.

Less than 1 million per as opposed to his output...
20 million per year as opposed to his output...

If we're looking at most valuable from every aspect of the term, which no one is, Russell Wilson is neck and neck (no Peyton pun) with Mr. Manning. Maybe even light years ahead...

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I mean if they wanted to go with a true measure of value, they should probably go with Aaron Rodgers considering that Green Bay was a really good team until he got hurt and has become worse than Cleveland since he got hurt.

But unfortunately MVP is some weird mishmash of value, stats, and I don't know what. The criteria is so unclear that it devalues the award somewhat.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Our overall team is strong enough that individual honors/awards can wait until the Big Game. I'd love for the MVP of said game to be the LOB.

Are PC, RW, or ET worthy for individual accolades? They should indeed be in the discussion. But in the end, I'm much more impressed by group-awards, and the Lombardi is that prize.

Go Hawks!

hoxrox

Reaction score
If MVP is all about stats, they should take into consideration rushing yards/TDs as well. How many of those does Peyton have? Russell can do it all.

Furthermore:

PC - Coach of the Year
JS - GM of the Year
ET - Defensive player of the Year

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Let Huge Forehead Manning have the regular season MVP, as long as RW gets the Super Bowl MVP.