Wilson now leading the MVP race?

RiverDog

Reaction score
MVP voting, at least if it comes down to Peyton vs. Russell, is going to be a bit like boxing. If you want to beat the champ, you have to beat him decisively. In other words, if the relative performances are close as I think they are now between PM and RW, voters are going to vote for Peyton.

But this MVP stuff is nothing but a bunch of window dressing. I really couldn't give two hoots in hell about any of our guys winning individual awards, except as it relates to the ultimate goal of bringing home a Lombardi. That's no disrespect to Russell or anyone else on our team. Quite the contrary, I like Russell more than any Seahawk since Largent.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If you look at it from a purely logical point of view; which team would suffer more from the loss of Manning or Wilson? Plug Tjack and Brock Osweiller in at those positions and I think we would see far less drop off honestly. Russell is being penalized here for the depth of his team, which is a bit stupid really but that’s what the MVP/popularity contest is all about.

Take into account their respective personalities and you have a guy (in Manning) whose entire professional career has been about padding his stats. Several times this year, I have seen him staying in complete blowout games in the 4th quarter, just to add more stats. His ultimate result, 1 Super bowl win. A textbook Egocentric.

Wilson is practically the anti-Manning. I think Russell could care less about records and stats, and is solely focused on getting his team wins at all costs. If he were to win the MVP award I suspect the first thing he would do is to thank the team for making it possible or to suggest (as he has recently) that Lynch is more deserving of the accolade. I won’t go so far as to characterize him as Sociocentric but that is more or less the case here. And I dig that about him! He is my "Seahawk Messiah" and IMO the league MVP!

Go Hawks.

GCrow

Reaction score
Remember when Manning flat out refused to meet with Pete and John for 5 minutes after they went his way to make a pitch to him?

Turns out could be one of the best things to happen to this franchise

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is picking up steam:

ESPN Commentary: Russell Wilson is NFL's Real MVP

Wilson has the entire package. He has "it." It doesn't matter that he is only 5-foot-11. He has proven to be transcendent, to be so much more than his size. He is a tireless worker. He is an ardent student of film. And his teammates love him.

Led by Wilson, Seattle has the best record in the league and just slammed the New Orleans Saints on Monday night as if the Saints were winless instead of the second-best team in the NFC.

Wilson doesn't have the statistics that Manning has because the Seahawks' offense isn't built like Denver's. They have a potent running game with Marshawn Lynch and Wilson, who ranks third among quarterbacks with 456 rushing yards. Whereas Manning averages 40 pass attempts per game, Wilson averages 25.4. Even so, Wilson averages 8.8 yards per attempt, has completed 64.9 percent of his passes and has 22 touchdowns against six interceptions.

Voters love statistics. I should know. I am one. But there must be context, too.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1b4d4v5p said:
I did a cursory check and didn't see this yet.

It seems at least one national writer thinks our own Russell Wilson is leading the race for NFL MVP right now:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ead-mvp-race?campaign=Facebook_writers_brandt

Wilson is still somewhat underrated, thanks in part to his height (5-foot-11) and the fact that he plays in the Pacific Northwest; though his dominant performance in Monday night's 34-7 win over the New Orleans Saints helped correct that a bit. The bottom line is, one day I think we'll talk about him in the same way we currently talk about guys like Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. He has that kind of ability.
Wilson is BETTER than Manning--Wilson is CLUTCH and he's not a WEATHER PUSSY.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Russell probably should get it, but there's no way the voters overlook a (potential) 50 TD season.

rsm650

Reaction score
Although the writer is a Stealers fan, I think this is a very insightful article. I use this site primarily for my fantasy team (their projections and waiver wire suggestions won me multiple championships!).

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1475 ... -nfl-s-mvp

We can argue that statistics don't tell everything - Wilson's magic during an offensive line breakdown somehow results in a big play for us, whereas any other quarterback would throw the ball away/take a sack. However, if we didn't have Wilson, I can imagine we'd still be at least 8-4, on par with the 49ers. If we had Brees, Rivers, or Rodgers, I think we'd still end up at 11-1 since some of those quarterbacks, like Rodgers, had atrocious offensive linemen.

Without Manning, the Broncos might not have the same level of success. Their offensive line isn't spectacular either, but Manning gets rid of the ball quickly enough to hide the weaknesses of their offensive line. Also, our defense kept us in many of our games.

It's pretty much Peyton's to lose this season, but Wilson has a good shot in the coming years.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Second to Manning this season wouldn't be bad at all.

Usurping the NFL's best regular season QB from his grasp on the MVP trophy...would be even better.

Still a lot of football left to be played.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The season MVP award is pretty meaningless imo.

However, the Superbowl MVP is much more meaningful because winning it essentially guarantees that your team won. Only once has the Superbowl MVP come from the losing team.

Manning can have the season MVP award.

Russell will be the Superbowl MVP.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":261utxu2 said:
If you look at it from a purely logical point of view; which team would suffer more from the loss of Manning or Wilson? Plug Tjack and Brock Osweiller in at those positions and I think we would see far less drop off honestly.

Didn't Denver get to the AFCCG with Tim Tebow?

Greenhell

Reaction score
Mark my words, if our beloved Hawks win the Super Bowl this year all future awards will be laid at the feet of our elite for seasons there after.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
If the Seahawks finish 15-1 and the Broncos lose a couple of more times Russell could have a puncher's chance at winning it. Otherwise I think Manning will get it.

Personally I'd much rather see him win the Superbowl MVP this year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":cj6o86cc said:
If you look at it from a purely logical point of view; which team would suffer more from the loss of Manning or Wilson? Plug Tjack and Brock Osweiller in at those positions and I think we would see far less drop off honestly. Russell is being penalized here for the depth of his team, which is a bit stupid really but that’s what the MVP/popularity contest is all about.

Take into account their respective personalities and you have a guy (in Manning) whose entire professional career has been about padding his stats. Several times this year, I have seen him staying in complete blowout games in the 4th quarter, just to add more stats. His ultimate result, 1 Super bowl win. A textbook Egocentric.

Wilson is practically the anti-Manning. I think Russell could care less about records and stats, and is solely focused on getting his team wins at all costs. If he were to win the MVP award I suspect the first thing he would do is to thank the team for making it possible or to suggest (as he has recently) that Lynch is more deserving of the accolade. I won’t go so far as to characterize him as Sociocentric but that is more or less the case here. And I dig that about him! He is my "Seahawk Messiah" and IMO the league MVP!

Go Hawks.

This was discussed at NFL.com. While I can see the merits of it, people have short memories. The Broncos got the playoffs with Tim Tebow at QB before Manning got there. Manning hates cold weather, and Denver is MUCH colder than Seattle, so why would Manning go there, especially without even giving Pete and John some facetime for an interview ? Denver had the best OL in the league at the time. Ours was a train wreck and had just gotten done almost murdering Tarvaris Jackson. I think that was the impetus for the decision.

Could Jackson get us to the playoffs behind this team ? Probably, but I would theorize not this exact season. If we lost Okung, Breno, and Unger...Jackson would've folded. We've seen how good he was without a good OL and that was about .500 ball. I don't know why he'd magically be better now. THe way the NFC is with both Wildcards being at least 10 win teams, I'm not sure we do make the playoffs, while the AFC is way softer and their 6th seed is likely to be an 8-8 or 9-7 team.

But I digress, that's a lot deeper than most people look.

I'm just beyond stoked we have a QB that has the intangibles ours does, is going to set a record for most wins in his first 2 seasons, is going to come in 2nd in TD's (too bad it's not total TD's, that would be really close) and break Mannings 2nd place there, and probably come in 2nd in MVP voting....in his 2nd year.

Can anyone remember another QB in his 2nd year that was a serious contender for an MVP ? Rodgers ? Maybe Brady ? (scratch that, Manning was winning all the MVP's at that time).