wilson pressured in 40% of drop backs. leads nfl

OP
OP
Axx

Axx

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23di0gt4 said:
For context, what was the number last year?

Ill send sando a twat
he usually knows these statistics

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seeing Rodgers sustain a serious injury last night made it very real for me. We need to do a far better job preventing Wilson from being hit NOW.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
And we're 8-1.

What does that say about the importance of the O-line?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I'd say this is probably 66% the banged up O-Line and 33% Wilson himself.

Every single time he holds onto the ball past three or five seconds and runs around doing his whirling dervish routine behind the LOS waiting for plays to break down and someone to come open it counts as a "pressure", although that's not really what any of us mean when we talk about the stat. And this is something Wilson really does a lot, and hey, while non-ideal IMO, it's something he does really well.

Basically I'd be surprised if he wasn't near the top last year too, as it is kind of how he plays so far (and really up for debate if it's a good thing or a bad thing; I can see it both ways).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What does it say?

It says we got lucky. Because we did.

I believe a picture was circulating showing Russell Wilson being sacked in the Arizona game and his ankles were being bent underneath the player. That one game could have been devastating.

More importantly, if Wilson does get injured - I think it is clear that we will pile up losses until he returns because our offense is sputtering right now. Our entire passing game seems based on play action, which gets shut down if you stop the run. I hope the Hawks took notes from the Jets on how THEY handled stacking the box, because they ran right into the blitz repeatedly and successfully. It is one of the benefits of using your FB, they can knock the defenders out of the way to clear a route for your RB.

At this point we are playing with fate, because we clearly cannot protect our QB and our offensive implementation often involves exposing Wilson to hits as soon as he lets go of the ball (for example the stupidity of the empty backfield, which assures the defenders all racing full speed to converge on the QB before he can release the ball).

Even the TB game subjected Wilson to a lot of hits. With all the hits to the head I am shocked he did not get a concussion, which again would have been devastating. I understand that QBs have to be able to take hits and this is football and all the rest of the crap - but the reality is that we go only as far as our QB can take us, so it makes sense to protect that QB.

Right now our OL is struggling at protecting Wilson and the defenses are loading the box and ripping through our line with impunity. You can only roll the dice for so long, eventually luck runs out. We cannot keep putting him at risk.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2giafi0t said:

Every single time he holds onto the ball past three or five seconds and runs around doing his whirling dervish routine behind the LOS waiting for plays to break down and someone to come open it counts as a "pressure", although that's not really what any of us mean when we talk about the stat. And this is something Wilson really does a lot, and hey, while non-ideal IMO, it's something he does really well.

Basically I'd be surprised if he wasn't near the top last year too, as it is kind of how he plays so far (and really up for debate if it's a good thing or a bad thing; I can see it both ways).
That is why I asked for last year's number. Good points. More context: Both Rodgers and Roethlisberger end up listed as heavily pressured for the same thing as Russell, and guys who like to minimize the importance of offensive linemen always use their examples to say you can win with crappy lines, even though it was the QB's habit of holding the ball that made a likely average squad look bad on paper.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think many of last year's pressures were Wilson and the scheme. This year certainly feels different, though. I believe he's on pace to be sacked about twice as much as he was last season. I saw a stat a couple weeks ago that said McQ had already given up almost twice as many pressures as Okung had given up ALL OF LAST SEASON.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1h9a3if7 said:
I think many of last year's pressures were Wilson and the scheme. This year certainly feels different, though. I believe he's on pace to be sacked about twice as much as he was last season. I saw a stat a couple weeks ago that said McQ had already given up almost twice as many pressures as Okung had given up ALL OF LAST SEASON.
Thanks, that does give the numbers context.
I would guess last year'snumbers to be in the low 20's.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1eg5fak5 said:
Popeyejones":1eg5fak5 said:

That is why I asked for last year's number. Good points. More context: Both Rodgers and Roethlisberger end up listed as heavily pressured for the same thing as Russell, and guys who like to minimize the importance of offensive linemen always use their examples to say you can win with crappy lines, even though it was the QB's habit of holding the ball that made a likely average squad look bad on paper.

Great examples of Rodgers and Rapes. And heck, I'd say Wilson is more effective than either of them when doing this thing.

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2qxdjw0s said:

Well one question is why RW is having to do his whirling thing as we call it. Other QBs also gets pressured and move around in the pocket. It isn't like every one is firing the ball each and every time on 2.5 seconds........ It is just that his whole pocket is gone so not very easy to step up and his skillset is different than the Luck step up move around a bit within the same area

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28poa18v said:
And we're 8-1.

That it's not important for winning games?

/sarcasm

chawx

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":epxg5pd3 said:
And we're 8-1.

I'm with Montana.... Can't we just play a modified "flag football" offense, where all 10 guys besides Russell go out for a pass? We could "protect" him by having him stand as far back as Punters normally stand, which would give him about as much time to survey the defense as he does now, except he would have 10 guys to throw to instead of 3-5

:sarcasm_off:

yeah yeah, i know there are rules against this (illegal man downfield, illegal touching (not all players can be eligible receivers), etc etc ...)