Power Rankings time!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/ ... 13/week/10

This is just for entertainment, no one cares, power rankings are just opinions right? Blah blah blah, ok now that thats out of the way.

#2 Colts Sunday was Andrew Luck's 10th career game-winning drive, most of any quarterback in his first two seasons in the Super Bowl era.

#4 Seahawks They can't play like that again. Seattle was the second team to win this season with a minus-3 turnover margin. Teams with a minus-3 turnover margin are 2-19 this season.

So the Colts rally from an 18pt deficit and they are praised.... Seahawks rally from a 21pt deficit and are punished. Got it. Makes total sense. :th2thumbs:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Eh, fact is that it was the 2nd straight lackluster game from the Seahawks. Add in the fact that it was at home against a winless team (even if that team is better than their record), and that explains the lack of huzzahs for the Seahawks.

Still, a win is better than a loss, and there aren't (m)any pundits out there that rank the Hawks as anything less than one of the 5 best teams in the league, even with the recent performances.

Laloosh

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3qap0dun said:
So the Colts rally from an 18pt deficit and they are praised.... Seahawks rally from a 21pt deficit and are punished. Got it. Makes total sense. :th2thumbs:

I hear you but I'm fine w/ the lack of respect. Will make it that much sweeter when we deliver on the pre-season hype that everyone's backing away from at this point.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
I know the rankings don't mean anything, but how do you put the Colts at #2 ahead of the Seahawks and Broncos? I know they beat both teams, but they were both close games at home (and they obviously needed a lot of officiating help to beat us) and both teams have a better overall record.

Further proof of the media wanting to anoint Luck the next poster boy for the league I guess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":snidwhl5 said:

The Colts were playing a conference rival that was desperately playing for their very existence of the 2013 season. We were playing an 0-7 team at home that supposedly hates their coach and has nothing to play for. So yes, there's a difference.

Power Ranking don't mean squat, but the Hawks deserve to fall after two stinker wins in a row against bad teams.

Chapow

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":39ir9cd2 said:

How did the Seahawks get "punished" exactly?

We barely eeked out a win in OT at home against a win less team and did not drop in the rankings. We were at #4 last week and still are this week.

Did you expect to move up in the rankings after that performance?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Colts getting bumped up based on Sunday's performance is a joke. That was an officiating travesty. They did not do enough to win that game and looked terrible for almost all of it.

rsm650

Reaction score
I think power rankings should be a ranking of the current records, with the analysis being the tiebreaker. Records get you to the playoffs, not who you beat. No matter who the opponent, the rankings should follow the mantra "any given Sunday/Monday/Thursday." Winning isn't easy in professional football.

It should be

1. Chiefs - undefeated, no question about this
2. Seahawks - only 1 loss so far, amazing comebacks/goal line holds with potent defense
3. Broncos - same as Seahawks, but with offense instead of defense being potent and 1 win behind with bye week
4. Patriots - look like their former selves with Amendola and Gronk healthy and Dobson building chemistry w/Brady
5. Colts - looks more impressive and consistent than 49ers/Saints/Bengals, loss of Wayne hurts

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Power Rankings are nothing but popularity polls. Nothing more, nothing less. We haven't been dominating lesser teams so the popularity poll is waning for the Seahawks nationally. Big deal.

Just win baby!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2s9x7lru said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/10

This is just for entertainment, no one cares, power rankings are just opinions right? Blah blah blah, ok now that thats out of the way.

#2 Colts Sunday was Andrew Luck's 10th career game-winning drive, most of any quarterback in his first two seasons in the Super Bowl era.

#4 Seahawks They can't play like that again. Seattle was the second team to win this season with a minus-3 turnover margin. Teams with a minus-3 turnover margin are 2-19 this season.

I don't think you really do get it.
Your summation should read; So, ANDREW LUCK rallies from an 18pt deficit....Seahawks rally from a 21pt deficit, and meh.
See, that has a much better flow to it eh? :)

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Aros":1dpq343r said:
Power Rankings are nothing but popularity polls. Nothing more, nothing less. We haven't been dominating lesser teams so the popularity poll is waning for the Seahawks nationally. Big deal.

Just win baby!

Totally agree with everyone on power polls.

But I was really trying to narrow in on the double standard... 'Luck rallies from an 18pt deficit! Amazing! All hail Luck!' (was their rally really that impressive? The Texans coach collapses and the Texans were in chaos the second half, they basically jumped on a stunned team)

Seahawks rally from 21, but the line is 'Seahawks narrowly escape!'

Funny how they spin things. All I'm saying. Just an observation. :34853_tinfoil:

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":14zd1dnw said:

Just win baby!
Yeah, and they're popularity polls with only one vote. ;)

My power poll looks first at Seahawks 8-1. 'Nuff said. :)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
twisted_steel2":z52ssrhy said:
Totally agree with everyone on power polls.

But I was really trying to narrow in on the double standard... 'Luck rallies from an 18pt deficit! Amazing! All hail Luck!' (was their rally really that impressive? The Texans coach collapses and the Texans were in chaos the second half, they basically jumped on a stunned team)

Seahawks rally from 21, but the line is 'Seahawks narrowly escape!'

Funny how they spin things. All I'm saying. Just an observation. :34853_tinfoil:

Absolutely! Typical. The more things change...

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Power rankings are for nothing but creating discussions and debates amongst fans. Obviously 1000 of 1000 players/coaches would rather be ranked higher in actual standings than in a power poll. I myself love looking at Power Rankings, but take them with a grain of salt and moreso look for the blurb the say about us instead of the number we're ranked. Speaking of debates, how the hell does SF move up 4 spots on a bye week ? Looks like Billick must have been hanging out with Toronto's mayor over the weekend

Wartooth

Reaction score
NFL.com has the Hawks at 5, below the Colts and the Pats...

Of course I don't think Elliot Harrison even watches football.

I think Sunday is the day he get his hair highlighted, and his teeth whitened, and picks out his 'outfits' for the week.

You know...A typical 'Girls Day'.

C-Dub

Reaction score
rsm650":3ami4012 said:
I think power rankings should be a ranking of the current records, with the analysis being the tiebreaker. Records get you to the playoffs, not who you beat. No matter who the opponent, the rankings should follow the mantra "any given Sunday/Monday/Thursday." Winning isn't easy in professional football.

It should be

1. Chiefs - undefeated, no question about this
2. Seahawks - only 1 loss so far, amazing comebacks/goal line holds with potent defense
3. Broncos - same as Seahawks, but with offense instead of defense being potent and 1 win behind with bye week
4. Patriots - look like their former selves with Amendola and Gronk healthy and Dobson building chemistry w/Brady
5. Colts - looks more impressive and consistent than 49ers/Saints/Bengals, loss of Wayne hurts
No way. :141847_bnono:

It's called "Power Rankings". This isn't "Record Rankings". The most powerful teams are the ones that win, beat great teams, show dominance in different facets of the game. Losses to good teams don't hurt a lot and wins against bad teams don't help a lot. Then you can factor in different things like getting someone back from injury or losing a player to injury.

Accurate "Power Rankings" are something like this...

1. 49ers - dominating right now, hence very powerful, injured players getting healthy
2. Broncos - loaded on offense, defense has issues, could be as high as 1
3. Seahawks - dominating defense, injuries on the line and WR, getting healthier, could be as high as 1
4. Pats - looking better and better each week, getting healthier
5. Saints - Injury to Sproles hurt, but still dominant team
6. Colts - Too much help from refs, defense not great, very dependent on Luck, Wayne hurt
7. Packers - Significant injuries to Rodgers (3 weeks?) and many others, will hurt team in long run, I'd have them at #4 if healthy
8. Chiefs - Haven't beaten 1 good team, dominant defense, offense can barely put enough points on the board to beat bad teams

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bitter":q37mw6iw said:
Fox is better. 49ers move up 4 spots on bye to #2 "because they are getting some weapons at wide receiver" while the Hawks drop 2 spots to #4 after a win.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings/2013/9

IMO Billick's pretty spot on. I like that he's not just blind to KC being undefeated and putting them up top like other Power Rankings, he's actually taking into account who's playing really well RIGHT NOW, strength of schedule, injuries, guys getting healthy, etc.

KC's played what, like one team with winning record all year (Dallas)? I see at least 3-4 losses during the 2nd half of their schedule.

As far as SF is concerned, they are playing well of late, and are getting back some key players. Right now would you take the Hawks over SF on a neutral field with the way we're playing? It'd be hard to.