Championship teams...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
... have games just like this one.

Forget that old garbage about "Oh, championship teams always beat up on the bad teams and win close games against good teams." That's not true, usually.

Last year's Ravens team won a game VERY MUCH like this one when they got outplayed by the Steelers in Pittsburgh, yet the Ravens walked out with a 13-10 win. That Ravens team also had a nice 3-game losing streak in the middle of the season, but they still won it all.

The 2011 Giants won the SB, but they had a 4-game losing streak during the season and got SWEPT by a 5-11 Redskins team.

The Packers in 2010 lost a game on the road to the Lions, 7-3. They still won the SB.

It's time to stop pretending that "championship teams" are juggernauts who never have off games, who never have bad matchups, who never have to deal with injuries decimating a unit, and who always dominate the bad teams and beat the good teams. Anyone trying to sell that isn't watching the NFL. They're in some fantasy land.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Good point, I also think these tough road wins are games we will look back to come the end of the year.

dusktreader

Reaction score
Yep. Also, championship teams freeze offenses on the goal-line when the game is on the line.

Cartire

Reaction score
Finally an intelligent poster.

So many couch coaches here that have no clue.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Really rough watching the offense but the found a way to win. You're right though. Great teams win these games. Better find all our mistakes in the tape and still get a win.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Enough character building for a couple of weeks. What say we stomp the Bucs into the turf next week to give my blood pressure a break?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Championship teams also usually have a serviceable OL.

When was the last championship team without an average OL? Last year maybe the Ravens but I don't recall any championship team besides that with a below average line.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3qd3mjyl said:
Enough character building for a couple of weeks. What say we stomp the Bucs into the turf next week to give my blood pressure a break?

Seconded.

OP
OP
volsunghawk

volsunghawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3dxet9cl said:
Championship teams also usually have a serviceable OL.

When was the last championship team without an average OL? Last year maybe the Ravens but I don't recall any championship team besides that with a below average line.

The 2010 Packers.

The 2008 Steelers. These guys were one of the worst O-lines in the league.

That's just 2 examples in the last 5 years. So go peddle that line elsewhere.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That actually makes me feel better.

To be honest, treating our OL like an afterthought has bothered me before the season began and is the #2 source of worry for me this year.

It was #2 but then our OC took that title.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Amen brother. This is the NFL. We don't schedule Idaho State and games are hardly ever blow outs. Why fans expect perfection week in and week out is beyond me. Not to mention, there's another 53 guys on the other side getting paid the same to stop you.

Ugly win? Yes
Do we need to play better? Hell yes.

A win is a win. More often than not, overcoming obstacles is more important down the road because the playoffs aren't full of blowouts. Winning is a skill. We overcame a lot to get a W. Says a lot about this team.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1huigc9f said:
dusktreader":1huigc9f said:
Yep. Also, championship teams freeze offenses on the goal-line when the game is on the line.

That stand was EPIC.

and the 96 yard drive to that point was brutal.

niveky

Reaction score
volsunghawk":g38hyagk said:
... have games just like this one.

Forget that old garbage about "Oh, championship teams always beat up on the bad teams and win close games against good teams." That's not true, usually.

Last year's Ravens team won a game VERY MUCH like this one when they got outplayed by the Steelers in Pittsburgh, yet the Ravens walked out with a 13-10 win. That Ravens team also had a nice 3-game losing streak in the middle of the season, but they still won it all.

The 2011 Giants won the SB, but they had a 4-game losing streak during the season and got SWEPT by a 5-11 Redskins team.

The Packers in 2010 lost a game on the road to the Lions, 7-3. They still won the SB.

It's time to stop pretending that "championship teams" are juggernauts who never have off games, who never have bad matchups, who never have to deal with injuries decimating a unit, and who always dominate the bad teams and beat the good teams. Anyone trying to sell that isn't watching the NFL. They're in some fantasy land.

I agree completely. I have a post I started showcasing a ravens vs jets game from 2000, the year the ravens won the superbowl and the jets had like 524 total yards offense to the ravens 142 and the ravens won. i think a lot of people need to get some small paper sacks and just lock themselves in the bathroom and just breathe into that bag for the next 5 days.

OrFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":31bwf4fx said:
Crappy teams have games like this too.

Yes they do. This is not a crappy team though. Crappy teams do not win 4 out of 5 on the road. Crappy teams do not have 7 - 1 records. Crappy teams do not go two years without getting beat by more than 7 points in any game. Crappy teams are not number one in their division. ........