Where the hell is Kearly?!?

drdiags

Reaction score
I've seen him posting off and on the past few days. He isn't doing his random thoughts thing if that is what you are looking for. Or at least he said it wouldn't be every week. Guess he got tired of the antagonists that love to debate and denigrate anything that doesn't match their thinking?

I figure it is the usual forum burn-out folks get and have to tune out for awhile. Some come back, others move on.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
He has posted in the manner of the common folk and it has been a real treat to see his insights dispensed in that manner. No fanfare nor hoopla like we have come to appreciate and expect, but it's good to see him chime in with a random thought in a relaxed and I canned manner. Like when a celebrity drops in to the local dive bar without sunglasses on.

Laloosh

Reaction score
It's like a Russell Wilson sighting when he posts...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As much as you love and bleed the Seahawks and your fellow 12...I know a thing or two about burn out. As rewarding and exhilarating as it was being creator, owner and operator of .NET for a decade, especially seeing it grow exponentially with each passing year...I get how sometimes it can get a bit much emotionally and all you crave at the end of the day is just being a fellow fan without the expectations of whatever talent you have that has given you the blessing of being looked up to by your peers.

Trust me. I get it. Kearly just needs to decompress and enjoy being a fan.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I used to do shhhtuff like Kearly online, but I wasn't getting paid for it and then kids came. If it was a job it would be a real pleasure, but there's only so much time. You generally do it for yourself at first and end up sharing. Clear things up with empirical data. After a while it becomes a job.

I know a guy who did that on message boards for some time and has written professionally for SI and what not, but you still have to work. It's actually quite a difficult route especially given some of the gross inaccuracies you see the suits saying on TV.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly. It was NEVER about money for me but at some point your girlfriends and eventually wife says "You are putting all these hours in per day, per week, per month, per year with very little financial return...Why?" For me I knew why, but when you get loved ones involved where time is priceless, it gets awfully hard to continue to justify the commitment.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":3rqtldwg said:
Exactly. It was NEVER about money for me but at some point your girlfriends and eventually wife says "You are putting all these hours in per day, per week, per month, per year with very little financial return...Why?" For me I knew why, but when you get loved ones involved where time is priceless, it gets awfully hard to continue to justify the commitment.

I just stick mine in the freezer till the off season Aros, she looks the same as she did 10 yers ago also :)

SeaTown81

Reaction score
You guys don't have to beat around the bush. It's ok to admit. This place has gotten a bit stupid of late. With success comes frontrunners and bangdwagon fans. With frontrunners and bandwagon fans come, how you say, less than knowledgeable fans. With less than knowledgeable fans comes idiots who love crapping on people who have opinions. I don't blame Kip. I don't read the board as much as I used to, and i don't post nearly as long of posts as I did previously. I had a personal epiphany a while back. What's the point of going to great length in writing lengthy posts when all that comes of them is the same 10 or so people saying "Good point, I agree!" and another group always blindly dismissing it? What's the point? The internet has devolved into partisan politics. It's not about discussing, it's about arguing. You either think like me and I like you, or you don't and you suck. What's the point? I don't know how he kept it up for as long as he did. The internet usually is one ungrateful and obnoxious mofo when it comes to people who think for themselves. So I get it. And as with anything, he'll get a second wind at some point. We all do. It's like swearing off a vice after taking it too far. You'll be back. ;)

Go Hawks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, trust me. .NET is the drug you will never, ever be able to quit.

Heroin and caffeine has nothing on .NET.

cdallan

Reaction score
Kearly already explained that his post-game analysis was taking him a long time, so he wasn't going to do it in the same manner anymore. Fair play to him - I will take any nuggets Kearly chooses to drop from time to time gratefully.

I think there are a couple of reasons why Kearly might also feel that it is less worthwhile to do long analysis posts. The first is that there is now a far greater level of knowledge of X's and O's round here, at least as it applies to the Hawks. Remember there used to be posts having to explain the Leo position? Even I used to start X and O posts to explain things, and I wouldn't dream of doing that now as everyone has a better level of knowledge and things like Football Outsiders are no longer a secret.

The second thing is that analysis is simply not required at the moment. Usually we would analyse what is wrong and how we could fix it, and Kearly being a draft guru would no doubt look at who we could draft to fix it. It's obvious to everyone what is wrong (very little) and how it could be fixed (a healthy and functioning OL). The real questions over the next couple of years will be how we manage the salary cap, and it's hard to analyse that from the outside. As a fanbase, we are going to decide what to do with ourselves when things are going well and there is nothing to complain about. We seem to have decided to spend our time kicking each other in the balls.

Largent80

Reaction score
Typing even a paragraph is a lot of work.

To compile notes and translate them into an article is a lot more work.

I get it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
drdiags":32z3bg10 said:
I've seen him posting off and on the past few days. He isn't doing his random thoughts thing if that is what you are looking for. Or at least he said it wouldn't be every week. Guess he got tired of the antagonists that love to debate and denigrate anything that doesn't match their thinking?

I figure it is the usual forum burn-out folks get and have to tune out for awhile. Some come back, others move on.

Or possibly he realized life is more important and spending hours breaking things down for no money isn't time well spent.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Aros":362trucc said:
Oh, trust me. .NET is the drug you will never, ever be able to quit.

Heroin and caffeine has nothing on .NET.

You only quit when you get thrown in jail (banned). Or you just create another screen name and keep going. I equate that to a prison break/running from the law.

:17:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeaTown81":21rvpftq said:
You guys don't have to beat around the bush. It's ok to admit. This place has gotten a bit stupid of late. With success comes frontrunners and bangdwagon fans. With frontrunners and bandwagon fans come, how you say, less than knowledgeable fans. With less than knowledgeable fans comes idiots who love crapping on people who have opinions. I don't blame Kip. I don't read the board as much as I used to, and i don't post nearly as long of posts as I did previously. I had a personal epiphany a while back. What's the point of going to great length in writing lengthy posts when all that comes of them is the same 10 or so people saying "Good point, I agree!" and another group always blindly dismissing it? What's the point? The internet has devolved into partisan politics. It's not about discussing, it's about arguing. You either think like me and I like you, or you don't and you suck. What's the point? I don't know how he kept it up for as long as he did. The internet usually is one ungrateful and obnoxious mofo when it comes to people who think for themselves. So I get it. And as with anything, he'll get a second wind at some point. We all do. It's like swearing off a vice after taking it too far. You'll be back. ;)

Go Hawks.

I don't think has much to do with how .net has become of late. When you've been on message boards long enough, you realize this is one of many states in an endless, repeating cycle. This place has neither become 'good' nor 'bad,' but once you've seen the cycle run through enough times, you naturally question whether you're wasting energy while you watch Groundhog Day repeat itself, especially when life's priorities change.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Dude needed a break. And well deserved it is. My guess is he will be back at just the right time, for him and us.
His are my favorite reads. Hope it's sooner than later.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":3dnnul0f said:
life isn't the same without the 'Random Thoughts.

Then you seriously need to get a new life.

People -- he is just a member of our community. That's all. Now, he does offer well-researched and well-founded insights that we've all come to appreciate. He's certainly much smarter than most of you (OK, US) .... but he's still just a guy with a point of view. Try not to take it all too seriously.

ivotuk

Reaction score
chris98251":2t1z6ym5 said:
Aros":2t1z6ym5 said:

I just stick mine in the freezer till the off season Aros, she looks the same as she did 10 yers ago also :)

Cold Ethel? :D

Latest posts