bestfightstory

Reaction score
Nope. Not Blades. I use to think of Baldwin as a Bobby Engram type. That 3rd receiver who is a QB's favorite. The third receiver and the third down guy. Mister dependable working the middle with reliable hands and lesser measurables than the guys on the outside.
Clutch (the so-called drop in AZ last year week one not withstanding). But also kind of replaceable in the minds of football fans. An "effort-guy".

But this year?

The guy's importance to this team minus Harvin has been just spectacular. I was drinking heavily yesterday and can't tell you if he even took the field but he is a big reason we are 5-1.

He is the type that wont be the Beast or the RW or the MVP but will make a critical play that will win you a game.

Just want to give him a shout.

pehawk

Reaction score
But, his body type screams he'll be hurt a lot???

One of the craziest thought process ever spewed here.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Throwdown":2gbranpj said:
Love me some Douglas, dude has been the most consistent receiver all season.

I told you he would be a good WR.

I'm actually concerned about his playing time once Percy comes back. I can't imagine we'd keep Sidney over him for the $$ next year, though. I'd love to see what he can do in Sid's spot.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I call him Mr. Reliable...he just always seems to make a big catch at crucial times

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
He's been clutch. The Wilson/Baldwin chemistry is really solidifying.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Rice stole his clutch sideline catch yesterday. I think Baldwin has been giving him tips.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm with Hawkblogger on this one, people need to stop comparing Engram and Baldwin just because they're black slot receivers.

We need to target Baldwin a lot more, IMO. Dude's nothing but clutch.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3qx632gg said:
I'm with Hawkblogger on this one, people need to stop comparing Engram and Baldwin just because they're black slot receivers.

Link please. I'd like to read it. I drank with Hawkblogger in Toronto last year but have never seen his site.

After reading your post I looked something up.

Guess what?

Everything isn't about somebody's race.

Baldwin is listed as 5'10" and 189#.
Engram was listed as 5' 10" and 192#.

There ARE similarities.

sutz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":uf23sv81 said:

I compare them because their games are similar. No size, no blazing speed, just a knack for getting open past the sticks and soft hands for making the catch.

:229031_shrug:

drdiags

Reaction score
I would imagine Doug with a Brady or Manning type of passing game being like a Welker or Royal type. Doubt he would ever be a Cobb/Cruz type of WR. He is pretty smart, elusive and has good hands. Plus he has a pretty good attitude about things.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
One thing me and my cousin noticed was that whenever a player is down (in this game, an opponent) he's the first one to show respect and get down on one knee. I think its really cool of him

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":6qpssk3c said:
I would imagine Doug with a Brady or Manning type of passing game being like a Welker or Royal type. Doubt he would ever be a Cobb/Cruz type of WR. He is pretty smart, elusive and has good hands. Plus he has a pretty good attitude about things.
Yeah someone mentioned on a different thread he could be a 'poor man's Welker' and I agree. More targets for Doug please!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2004rb3p said:
RolandDeschain":2004rb3p said:

Link please. I'd like to read it. I drank with Hawkblogger in Toronto last year but have never seen his site.

After reading your post I looked something up.

Guess what?

Everything isn't about somebody's race.

Baldwin is listed as 5'10" and 189#.
Engram was listed as 5' 10" and 192#.

There ARE similarities.

He Tweeted it, check his Twitter feed. I'm not at a computer right now. It was within the last week or so.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sutz":3i7det1s said:
RolandDeschain":3i7det1s said:

I compare them because their games are similar. No size, no blazing speed, just a knack for getting open past the sticks and soft hands for making the catch.

:229031_shrug:

Baldwin is the *quickest* player on the team, at least by 3-cone time.
Quicker than all the RB's (Michael is the only competition even close).
Quicker than any other WR.
Quicker than all the DB's, thought I'm not sure what ET's time was, but IIRC I believe quicker than ET too.
IIRC, Baldwin 3-cone time was 6.53, CMichael was 6.69. Irvin was right there in that range too. I think ET was next quickest after Baldwin.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I like Doug.

He is a good player and an excellent leader on our team. He gets a little emotional on twitter sometimes but you gotta love his passion.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BFS, here are the Hawkblogger Tweets about it:

https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/ ... 9773133824
Hawkblogger":1teommj6 said:
I'd love to stop the Doug Baldwin is Bobby Ingram comparison. Just because they are both black slot receivers doesn't mean they are alike.
https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/ ... 5548522498
Engram was a great receiver versus zone coverage. Could always find a soft spot. Baldwin can beat man or zone, and is bigger vertical threat
https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/ ... 8325814272
Engram's career YPC was 11.9. Baldwin is at 14.9 career and 17.4 YPC this season. Would you compare Victor Cruz to Engram? Didn't think so.
https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/ ... 0097040384
I know people mean it as a compliment because Bobby was fantastic and beloved. It's just not a particularly good comparison, and is limiting
https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/ ... 0988451840
@Softykjr I realize it is meant as a positive comparison, but it undersells what Baldwin does on the field. Loved Bobby, but he was limited

HawkWow

Reaction score
This past offseason, I recall DB being one of the first to invite the other WRs (and RW) to get together for offseason conditioning drills. This was immediately after the Harvin signing, if I recall correctly. When the Harvin announcement came, you knew 2 things for sure: DB was going to work harder, Tate was going to work harder.

I have no doubt Baldwin, in particular, understood a healthy Harvin made him, if not Tate, expendable. Tate initially voiced his displeasure then, more than likely, his best bud RW reeled him back in and Tate subsequently 'welcomed' Harvin on board. I am not the least bit surprised to see improvement in both Tate and DB and that is the best thing to come from the Harvin signing thus far, IMO, with better things ahead.

Other than the imminent departure of Rice, I'm unsure how this WR thing will unfold after the SB (victory). Kearse has done some very good things for us and he's not costing squat so I think he's in. Harvin is in. I'm thinking the money saved on Rice will compensate both Tate and Baldwin with enough left over to bring in a FA to stretch the field and/or a 3rd rd rookie in our next draft.

Anyone else share this notion?