Stronger Arm

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I noticed that Russell threw the ball with more zip against the chargers. Especially when he rolled to his left and hit Kearse if i remember correctly. Ive watched Wilson since Wisconsin and I dont remember seeing him throw it like that. I didnt think much of it but today i heard John Clayton mention the same thing and im wondering if anybody else notice it and if ya think hes been working on his arm strength this offseason. Or maybe im just too excited for the season and im seeing things ha.

themunn

Reaction score
Don't know about a stronger arm, but he certainly appeared to be throwing lasers.
Seen him throw a few of them last year, maybe he's just trying to get the ball to the receiver quicker (since separation isn't their strong point)

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I thought Russel was definitely putting zip on his passes but he was also overthrowing and sailing the ball a little too. He did this at the start of last year as well if I remember right. It seems if he misses its usually too high or overthrown.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Natethegreat":99qzr7hs said:
I thought Russel was definitely putting zip on his passes but he was also overthrowing and sailing the ball a little too. He did this at the start of last year as well if I remember right. It seems if he misses its usually too high or overthrown.

Cut him now!

sc85sis

Reaction score
He's been working in footwork and better footwork usually means better throws--though I'm not sure if it would affect his throwing on the run.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":1iuhzse0 said:
I noticed that Russell threw the ball with more zip against the chargers. Especially when he rolled to his left and hit Kearse if i remember correctly. Ive watched Wilson since Wisconsin and I dont remember seeing him throw it like that. I didnt think much of it but today i heard John Clayton mention the same thing and im wondering if anybody else notice it and if ya think hes been working on his arm strength this offseason. Or maybe im just too excited for the season and im seeing things ha.

He rolled to his right, but he did put some mustard on it.

Shock2k

Reaction score
The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Shock2k":3e6kz19k said:
The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

I imagine he was a little fired up. He'll be fine.

His 64% completion rate and 100 rating from last season says it wasn't that much of a problem. :th2thumbs:

Shock2k

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":ghzh0iaa said:
Shock2k":ghzh0iaa said:

His 64% completion rate and 100 rating from last season says it wasn't that much of a problem. :th2thumbs:

You know, I can't argue with a 64% completion rate.. It's the one weak part of his game that can't be fixed, because he can't grow, so he can't throw directly over a guy.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Like outfielders in Baseball, QBs tend to throw high when anxious. While you get the sense Wilson lacks an adrenal gland, he is human, but throwing high will get him picked and/or someone hurt. He just needs more game reps and I would have liked to have seen him in for at least one more series. But all good. Pete knows his QB.

Cartire

Reaction score
Shock2k":160uz1jg said:
FlyingGreg":160uz1jg said:
Shock2k":160uz1jg said:

You know, I can't argue with a 64% completion rate.. It's the one weak part of his game that can't be fixed, because he can't grow, so he can't throw directly over a guy.

Nor can Drew Brees, but I dont think anyone ever mentions that as part of a weakness. So why do I still continue hearing it as one for RW.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Shock2k":1f9orj77 said:

Yeah, he's a bust.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Shock2k":2ruezlp2 said:
FlyingGreg":2ruezlp2 said:
Shock2k":2ruezlp2 said:

We can probably arrange a trade for Whitehurst. I don't see him making the final 53.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":162be5k6 said:
Like outfielders in Baseball, QBs tend to throw high when anxious. While you get the sense Wilson lacks an adrenal gland, he is human, but throwing high will get him picked and/or someone hurt. He just needs more game reps and I would have liked to have seen him in for at least one more series. But all good. Pete knows his QB.

Yeah, I noticed he was always hanging his receivers out to dry last season. Isn't extrapolation in preseason fun. Makes everyone sound like experts.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":cqiufvhz said:
HawkWow":cqiufvhz said:

Yeah, I noticed he was always hanging his receivers out to dry last season. Isn't extrapolation in preseason fun. Makes everyone sound like experts.

So then your position is that he will never get picked, or get anyone hurt, throwing high because he didn't last year?

Sarcasm is better suited for the intelligent.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
It kind of seems to me that DangeRuss is kind of like the Rocky Balboa of QB's. Remember how Rocky always had to get beat up a bit and then got mad...then out came the can of whoopass. Well, it seems from last year that Russ is kind of the same way in the sense that he is just good until him and the team get smacked around a bit but he really seems to excel the steeper the odds or the tougher the challenge. I really like that he is the calm and cool clutch closer he is.

I do think his early game will come around in time, especially when we get into regular season w/ some game planning. So I guess the question is would you rather have a QB that starts fast but fades a bit down the stretch or the guy that starts a bit slower but really shines the brightest at the end. I think I will take the finisher.

Wartooth

Reaction score
He'll be settled down by the time they play the first game that matters...
This guy has been mentally preparing himself for this season since the night they lost to the Falcons...
I don't remember him over throwing receivers in that game...
Russell is the real deal..
Hard to believe, even now, that the Hawks finally have a potentially elite QB...
He better not regress though...
I bought one of those little Lego figurines of him...
I'm invested!

Mick063

Reaction score
Historically, Russell has shown a tendency to throw high at the beginning of games. It is a function of adrenaline. Because of it, he is a slow starter. He typically settles down and throws more accurately, especially in the second half. What he does well, is place the ball where the opponent does not get to it. Even when he is off early. Because of that, opposing offenses must "earn" their points and the Seahawks are typically not put into an insurmountable hole. Many of Russell's few picks come off of the hands of his receivers. He does seem to be more accurate in the early game when throwing on the run. Because of that, I would design more waggles, roll outs, and play action boots in the early game plan.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3sbs032m said:
Shock2k":3sbs032m said:
FlyingGreg":3sbs032m said:

Nor can Drew Brees, but I dont think anyone ever mentions that as part of a weakness. So why do I still continue hearing it as one for RW.

Because Brees has 11 years of experience on Wilson? I think Wilson is young and inexperienced enough that he still gets a bit of adrenaline early in games - especially early in the season.

Jville

Reaction score
sc85sis":3lx5sc8l said:
He's been working in footwork and better footwork usually means better throws--though I'm not sure if it would affect his throwing on the run.

Any current or former 2an baseman will tell you that working on better footwork is all about improving throws on the run.