SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SE174":23q6wr5c said:
SmokinHawk":23q6wr5c said:
T-Sizzle":23q6wr5c said:
Beta what?

It's a sorority, I think.
:roll:

All of the Nordstrom men are members of Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

Do bear in mind that family lineage is the same which sold out to Ken Behring, who wanted to move the team to Los Angeles. As a Seahawks fan, I'm not sure they're the kind of people with whom I'd want to share a fraternal order.

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3e1do8kq said:
Do bear in mind that family lineage is the same which sold out to Ken Behring, who wanted to move the team to Los Angeles. As a Seahawks fan, I'm not sure they're the kind of people with whom I'd want to share a fraternal order.

Did you read the article?

The condition of the Kingdome was another negative factor looming for the owners as they headed toward the late 1980s. The family met for a vote. John and another relative were the only two voting to continue ownership.
They set the price at $80 million, and bidders flocked, including Bill Cosby and Hollywood types Marvin Davis and Jerry Perenchio (whose Bel Air mansion was used for the external scenes on The Beverly Hillbillies).

“But they all wanted to move the team,” Nordstrom said. “I did not even entertain the guys who wanted to move it.”

When California land developer Ken Behring began sniffing, Nordstrom told him his no-relocation caveat. “He said he was not even thinking about it. OK, then. And, by gosh, he sends a check for $80 million.”
By 1995, Nordstrom was hearing the rumors that Behring was going to move the team to Southern California.

“So I called him and said I needed to talk to him about the rumors, and he said, OK, I’m in town,” Nordstrom said.

Those still dyspeptic at the memory of Behring will be incensed anew at this Nordstrom recollection that has never appeared in print.

“So, he came over to my house, sat in my living room, and said, ‘I’m not going to move the team, that’s all just rumors.’ OK, I’ll take your word for it,” Nordstrom said. “It turned out, at that very moment, the moving vans were up in Kirkland (at the team headquarters).”

He lied to your face?

“How could that so-and-so say that to me?” Nordstrom said. “I was absolutely furious.”

It's not like they knew Behring was a lying POS, otherwise they wouldn't have sold to him. John Nordstrom was against the sale at all.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SE174":49ojlbbq said:
SmokinHawk":49ojlbbq said:

Did you read the article?

The condition of the Kingdome was another negative factor looming for the owners as they headed toward the late 1980s. The family met for a vote. John and another relative were the only two voting to continue ownership.
They set the price at $80 million, and bidders flocked, including Bill Cosby and Hollywood types Marvin Davis and Jerry Perenchio (whose Bel Air mansion was used for the external scenes on The Beverly Hillbillies).

“But they all wanted to move the team,” Nordstrom said. “I did not even entertain the guys who wanted to move it.”

When California land developer Ken Behring began sniffing, Nordstrom told him his no-relocation caveat. “He said he was not even thinking about it. OK, then. And, by gosh, he sends a check for $80 million.”
By 1995, Nordstrom was hearing the rumors that Behring was going to move the team to Southern California.

“So I called him and said I needed to talk to him about the rumors, and he said, OK, I’m in town,” Nordstrom said.

Those still dyspeptic at the memory of Behring will be incensed anew at this Nordstrom recollection that has never appeared in print.

“So, he came over to my house, sat in my living room, and said, ‘I’m not going to move the team, that’s all just rumors.’ OK, I’ll take your word for it,” Nordstrom said. “It turned out, at that very moment, the moving vans were up in Kirkland (at the team headquarters).”

He lied to your face?

“How could that so-and-so say that to me?” Nordstrom said. “I was absolutely furious.”

It's not like they knew Behring was a lying POS, otherwise they wouldn't have sold to him. John Nordstrom was against the sale at all.

Eh, I don't think they cared for any reason other than keeping Seattleites shopping at their overpriced clothing stores.

Jville

Reaction score
SE174":1eb5wcwf said:
Saw this via Sando's blog. As a member of Beta Theta Pi and a diehard Seahawks fan, I'd love to pick this man's brain. Great article about an even greater person and his relationship with the franchise we all love.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/06/1 ... m-way.html

Thanks for posting this link. The Nordstrom family is the reason I became and have remained (outside of a couple Behring years) a Seahawk Fan. Real leadership is a community's most valuable treasure.

drdiags

Reaction score
It's amazing how many near misses the Seahawks organization has had over the years. I am sure all teams have the same type of near-misses with hindsight but Walsh a Seahawks HC if Lloyd Nordstrom doesn't fall for the banana in the tailpipe trick by Brown. Man, I didn't know Paul Brown was such a POS.

Tony Dorsett
Brett Farve
John Elway
Bill Walsh
Arian Foster (if Ruskell wasn't such a boy scout)
Ahmad Green (if Holmgren wasn't such a stickler for those darn fumbles)

Woulda/Coulda ....

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
drdiags":3fhb9sx5 said:
It's amazing how many near misses the Seahawks organization has had over the years. I am sure all teams have the same type of near-misses with hindsight but Walsh a Seahawks HC if Lloyd Nordstrom doesn't fall for the banana in the tailpipe trick by Brown. Man, I didn't know Paul Brown was such a POS.

Tony Dorsett
Brett Farve
John Elway
Bill Walsh
Arian Foster (if Ruskell wasn't such a boy scout)
Ahmad Green (if Holmgren wasn't such a stickler for those darn fumbles)

Woulda/Coulda ....
It's a wonder we don't appear on Dameshek's N "if" L more often.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":a86gsyxy said:
Eh, I don't think they cared for any reason other than keeping Seattleites shopping at their overpriced clothing stores.

Five pairs of shoes for the price of one? "Overpriced" is semantics. If you don't know what I'm talking about, too bad. Nordys is ok in my book.

-SH

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Interesting read on the Nordstrom ownership. This is the first I have heard about the non-relocation agreement with Behring.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SmokeyHawk":klqppa2v said:
SmokinHawk":klqppa2v said:

Five pairs of shoes for the price of one? "Overpriced" is semantics. If you don't know what I'm talking about, too bad. Nordys is ok in my book.

-SH
You talking about returns? Do they still do that? I'm not a Nordstroms shopper, but I heard they cut down on that.

Osprey

Reaction score
pnwhawk25":3nmlojwh said:
Thanks for sharing. Interesting read on the Nordstrom ownership. This is the first I have heard about the non-relocation agreement with Behring.

Doesn't mean squat if it wasn't in writing. Wouldn't have been difficult to put a right of first refusal buy back clause into the sale if they really were worried about it. Smells a bit of revisionist history to me.