Do these Seahawks have a player thats...

Throwdown

Reaction score
On your all-time favorite Seattle sports figure list?

Because I think theres two that have made their way onto my top 5..

1. Gary Payton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Ken Griffey Jr.
4. Richard Sherman
5. Shawn Kemp

Am I just too excited? or is there anyone else out there like me?

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Here's how mine is right now:

1. Steve Largent
2. Edgar Martinez
3. Ken Griffey Jr.
4. Cortez Kennedy
5. Matt Hasslebeck

In a couple years I could see Russell Wilson all the way at #1. Although we have a lot of great athletes on our team, no one beside Wilson screams legend status to me.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Wilson and ET are personal faves. They show up for work, produce, and stay humble.

Hawker

Reaction score
Top 5 is such a small number, curses!

I share your enthusiasm and excitement but when limited to five players, in all arenas, I'd have a hard time knocking someone like an Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, Jamie Moyer, Olerud or Detlef Schrempf (or dare I say Hasselbeck) off of my potential all-time top-five for newcomers Wilson/Sherman. Nevertheless, and long-live the 90's:

Edgar
Griffey
Gary
Matt
Russell

McGruff

Reaction score
Sherman is the only one with the personality and productivity to make such a list.

birdman5

Reaction score
My 5 favorites might be the starting 5 for the 1979 SuperSonics but more recently...

Largent
Cortez
Junior
Edgar
Big Walt

I guess most of those aren't much more recently..

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
Maybe age might play a roll in it, I'm a late 80's baby so I only seen guys like Tez, Griffey, Edgar, Payton, Kemp, the Holmgren Era Hawks, these Hawks and other teams from 92 or 93 on down the road, I was 5 when sports became my thing.

birdman5

Reaction score
Throwdown":2t3ig5lo said:
Maybe age might play a roll in it, I'm a late 80's baby so I only seen guys like Tez, Griffey, Edgar, Payton, Kemp, the Holmgren Era Hawks, these Hawks and other teams from 92 or 93 on down the road, I was 5 when sports became my thing.

I'm a child of the late 50's.

For the lack of championships Seattle has, there are a LOT of beloved athletes that come to mind for me. I love the raising of the 12th man flag here in Seattle and the biggest reason is the opportunity it provides to show many of them the love we still hold for them.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man, this is tough. My top 5 favorite would probably be in order:

1. Matt Hasselbeck
2. Steve Largent
3. Russell Wilson (i'd guess he'll be number 1 in a few years)
4. Kenny Easley
5. Brian Blades

(I can't do just 5!)

6. Rufus Porter
7. Joey Galloway
8. John L. Williams
9. Shaun Alexander
10. Dave Kreig

Not being from Seattle I don't really have any Sonics or Mariners anywhere near the top. But if I had to i'd list Gary Payton and Ken Griffey Jr as my favorites (but neither would probably be in my top 25 of Seattle athletes).

The Outfield

Reaction score
1. Edgar
2. Griffey
3. Gary Payton
4. Randy Johnson
5. Russell Wilson
6. Largent
7. Jamie Moyer
8. Lynch
9. Matt Hasselbeck
10. Richard Sherman

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
My list would be all Seahawks and one horse(Seattle Slew-I think he counts). I cannot stand baseball and don't follow it at all.
1)Largent
2)Walt
3)Tez
4)Easley
5)Wilson
6)Blades
7)Seattle Slew
8)Warner
9)Jacob Green
10)Sherman/Lynch

dbmack

Reaction score
1. Seahawks as a team. My favorites are always the current team each year.
2. Griffey

I don't follow Seattle sports except the Seahawks but always liked Griffey.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Top 5
1. Sean Kemp - Reignman was amazing to watch in his heyday.
2. Edgar Martinez- Most approachable sports celebrity I have ever met (except for Joe Amoto)
3. Dave Kreig - Working mans hero.
4. Gary Payton - The Glove feeding the rock to the Reignman....fugetaboutit!
5. Steve Largent - LEGEND.

Bottom 5

Franco Harris, The Boz, Curry, A-rod, Behring!

BioDawg03

Reaction score
I don't really see how you can have a guy with 1 season under his belt in your top 5 Seattle Athletes.... At least Sherman has been All-Pro....

Here is my list... I was born in the area in 1980 and have followed the Hawks, Sonics (RIP) and Mariners (RIP).... If I was going to do a list of all sports in Seattle I would also include some Huskies like Emtman, Kaufman and Tui, but I will stick to Pro's....

1. Ken Griffey, Jr. - HOF and the absolute baseball Icon of the 90's....

2. Gary Payton - dude had swag before anyone even said the word, #1 trash talker of all time, Sherman isn't even close.

3. Steve Largent - I had his Blue Angel poster on my wall in College.... that was 2003....

4. Edgar Martinez - Hit a grandslam in game 4 of 95 ALDS with me in the building.... probably most clutch seattle pro ever...

5. Randy Johnson - He was the most intimidating force in baseball... just look at Kruk in the All-Star game...

6. Nate McMillan - Not only was he a great Sonic on all those excellent teams of the 90's... he also was a very good Coach.

It is hard to leave off guys like Cortez Kennedy, Walter Jones, Kenny Easley (short career), Matt Hasselback, Felix Hernandez, Shawn Kemp, Xavier McDaniel, Detlef (charity work along with being a Husky comes into play)..... I would almost include Shaun Alexander on the list, but he tended to whine a bit for my liking despite his outstanding production for that 5-6 year stretch (1400+ and 14 Tds per year!)

It doesn't surprise me to not see Ichiro on many lists.... dude was a non-factor in the community outside of being in RF at Safeco and in a commercial every year.... I saw him once at a Sonics game the first season he was here....