Seattle could face fines by the NFL for multiple PEDs

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Don't care as long as they don't take draft picks. PA can afford a fine or two.

kidhawk

Reaction score
An article about that is also on the front page of NFL.com

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204830/article/seahawks-could-be-fined-by-nfl-for-players-ped-violations[/urltargetblank]

The team could fall under the league's remittance policy since multiple players recently have been suspended for violating banned substance rules.

Seattle has had six players suspended for PED violations since 2010......

Per rule, a team would be fined a portion of the salaries of the players that have been suspended based on an agreed-upon formula

Also on NFL.com, Schneider is "disappointed" and Carroll says they need to make changes in the team policy....not sure exactly what that means, it's not like their policy is "it's ok if you don't get caught" at least I hope not.

That article is here:

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204689/article/seahawks-gm-bruce-irvins-suspension-disappointing[/urltargetblank]

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I read a Wiki article yesterday that the Redskins have had the most since 2011.

If true, why are they being mentioned for these fines?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ijlkhbg said:

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204830/article/seahawks-could-be-fined-by-nfl-for-players-ped-violations[/urltargetblank]

The team could fall under the league's remittance policy since multiple players recently have been suspended for violating banned substance rules.

Per rule, a team would be fined a portion of the salaries of the players that have been suspended based on an agreed-upon formula

Also on NFL.com, Schneider is "disappointed" and Carroll says they need to make changes in the team policy....not sure exactly what that means, it's not like their policy is "it's ok if you don't get caught" at least I hope not.

That article is here:

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204689/article/seahawks-gm-bruce-irvins-suspension-disappointing[/urltargetblank]
Sounds like their policy is quite the opposite of "it's ok just don't get caught". The team is young and young men do boneheaded things it's like death and taxes. 20ish years old guys WILL do boneheaded things. They will get this fixed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":fvkwfu4g said:
kidhawk":fvkwfu4g said:

That article is here:

Sounds like their policy is quite the opposite of "it's ok just don't get caught". The team is young and young men do boneheaded things it's like death and taxes. 20ish years old guys WILL do boneheaded things. They will get this fixed.

That was kind of my point. How exactly can you change the policy...the policy is (I assume) follow NFL rules and don't take PED.....what's there to change? Emphasis.....maybe now it'll say PLEASE don't break NFL rules regarding PED? I just don't get what any "policy" can do to change behavior. It's already banned, the policy is to follow the NFL guidelines. They can't add any additional suspensions to players because of the CBA, so I don't know what he meant by that. I would like to know what his train of thought was with that though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There will not be any fines. Much ado about zilch. Ian is just as bored as us.

Erebus

Reaction score
This says mutliple suspensions in a season. Doesn't Irvin's count for 2013? Should be the first Seahawk suspension of 2013. I don't see how it violates the remittance rule.

usc17hawk

Reaction score
The majority of the league does this and typically the league looks the other way,except when they want to make an example of someone or some team. The enforcement system is broken. It's no different than the sanctions brought against USC for providing monetary benefits to players. Carroll is not the problem, it's the authorities that seek primarily to punish the successful teams

sc85sis

Reaction score
kidhawk":vlx433x7 said:
KCHawkGirl":vlx433x7 said:
kidhawk":vlx433x7 said:

That article is here:

That was kind of my point. How exactly can you change the policy...the policy is (I assume) follow NFL rules and don't take PED.....what's there to change? Emphasis.....maybe now it'll say PLEASE don't break NFL rules regarding PED? I just don't get what any "policy" can do to change behavior. It's already banned, the policy is to follow the NFL guidelines. They can't add any additional suspensions to players because of the CBA, so I don't know what he meant by that. I would like to know what his train of thought was with that though.
They can bench guys for violating team rules. There may be some other actions they can take as well. Not sure what the CBA does or doesn't allow. Can the team do (additional) testing beyond what the NFL requires? If so, that's another option. And they can increase education, though that won't do much unless guys decide to actually heed what is learned.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Erebus":8mjsf5ib said:
This says mutliple suspensions in a season. Doesn't Irvin's count for 2013? Should be the first Seahawk suspension of 2013. I don't see how it violates the remittance rule.

My sentiments exactly. Irvin did not test positive during the 2012 season, and while Browner served his suspension last season Sherman was exonerated. It's just the media feeding frenzy trying to shake things up and cause whatever distractions they can. Personally I hope it just feeds the fire and puts an extra chip on this teams collective shoulders.

taz291819

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2i2r9a67 said:
Erebus":2i2r9a67 said:

My sentiments exactly. Irvin did not test positive during the 2012 season, and while Browner served his suspension last season Sherman was exonerated. It's just the media feeding frenzy trying to shake things up and cause whatever distractions they can. Personally I hope it just feeds the fire and puts an extra chip on this teams collective shoulders.

Do we know that as fact yet? He could have tested positive during the post-season for all we know. Unless I missed some news.

A

Anonymous

taz291819":br2fow2r said:
Do we know that as fact yet? He could have tested positive during the post-season for all we know. Unless I missed some news.

Exactly.

Can we definitively say we have 100% of the facts regarding when, what, (et. al.)? Until then it is probably really good advice to take a chill pill and avoid any assumptions. Media reports are spotty, at best, and full of speculation.

I'm tabling this issue in my mind.

Shaz

Reaction score
I don't care about policies and who did what right now

This is a seroius problem and this needs to be cleaned up

There is no honor winning like this, absolutely none

TJH

Reaction score
I hope they do. We need to put an and to this garbage.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2m275f82 said:
They can bench guys for violating team rules. There may be some other actions they can take as well. Not sure what the CBA does or doesn't allow. Can the team do (additional) testing beyond what the NFL requires? If so, that's another option. And they can increase education, though that won't do much unless guys decide to actually heed what is learned.

The CBA has guidelines for punishments allowed under it for specific offenses. Drug testing and failed test punishments are all covered under the agreement. Teams cannot further punish a player beyond whatever the league deems appropriate under the CBA guidelines. As far as benching goes, a player could be benched for basically no reason so that could be possible, but I believe if they were inactive and it affected their check, they'd likely appeal it and the team would probably get in trouble for that. With the CBA, teams have to walk a fine line between what they can and cannot do to enforce, since it's mostly left to a league level. This is why I think it will be interesting to see what, if anything, the team can put into place regarding these suspensions.