QB asks Wilson for advice

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mike Glennon, a rookie QB for the Bucs, was a teammate of Wilson's at NC State. Now that he's in the NFL he has reached out to ask Wilson for advice on how to succeed in the NFL.

I found it pretty hilarious that Wilson even gives canned answers to fellow players.

"I just wanted to pick (Wilson's) mind before I got (to Tampa) and hear how he handled things," Glennon said of a recent conversation with the Seattle Seahawks starter. "He's a man on a mission, and you can hear it in the way he talks. He just kind of told me to take it one day at a time and try to get better each and every day. Don't worry about the long run. If you just get better each and every day, eventually good things will happen. I think that was great advice."

Sounds like Wilson was giving an NFL Network interview. Still, pretty cool story.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...glennon-asks-russell-wilson-for-advice-on-nfl

mikeak

Reaction score
"Hey dude I know you had to leave town because coach preferred me for two years over you much better supreme talent and justified it with me being in the trenches with the guys while you were playing baseball but can you give me some advice"

"Yeah next time tell coach you think the best player should start at QB as that is better for the team and you are happy sitting on the bench one more year"

that is how that conversation should have gone

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
mikeak":1ygghgs5 said:
"Hey dude I know you had to leave town because coach preferred me for two years over you much better supreme talent and justified it with me being in the trenches with the guys while you were playing baseball but can you give me some advice"

"Yeah next time tell coach you think the best player should start at QB as that is better for the team and you are happy sitting on the bench one more year"

that is how that conversation should have gone

That would mean Glennen wouldnt have started one college game in his career. Do you think that would have been a good or bad career move for him? Also, what makes you think it was his decision to make?

Jac

Reaction score
When I read the thread title, I was 100% sure that QB wasn't going to be Geno Smith.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Canned answer or not, cool of Wilson to keep in touch with Glennon after that situation at NC State went down. Supports my theory that the whole thing wasn't as devious as some wanted to portray it.

Also, Wilson truly lives the cliches, so I have no problem with his advise to Glennon.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't really see an issue with wilson's token/canned answers because so far he's not BSing anyone he's just telling the truth even if it's cliche.

Sac

Reaction score
I can't wait for the day RW grows a goatee and starts acting like Charles Barkley.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":rhio4cc5 said:
I don't really see an issue with wilson's token/canned answers because so far he's not BSing anyone he's just telling the truth even if it's cliche.
You're exactly right, because there's a huge difference in the skillsets between those two QB's.
All RW could tell him is exactly what he could do to get better, and let the other things take care of themselves.
Only one more bit of info that Wilson could have offered?, to study the hell out of all the game films he can get his hands on, and then study the hell out of every player in every position, BOTH sides of the ball.
Correlate your cerebral with your athleticism.

rightbench

Reaction score
anyone realize that RW isn't making up these answers to sound smart .... it's how he lives... every day from every indication. I think it's great. And it's something most of us don't get because we're just not that focused about anything.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I love how people knock Russell for saying a lot of cliches as if thats a bad thing. Theres a reason cliches were created; they're usually good advice that people have been following for many years.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm not really knocking Wilson, I just thought it was funny that the stuff he told a fellow player in a private phone call was the same stuff he would say in a national interview.

I guess it is probably a good thing because it shows he is not two-faced and is the same no matter who he is talking to. And yeah, he definitely walks the talk.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkFan72":32klx1vi said:
I'm not really knocking Wilson, I just thought it was funny that the stuff he told a fellow player in a private phone call was the same stuff he would say in a national interview.

I guess it is probably a good thing because it shows he is not two-faced and is the same no matter who he is talking to. And yeah, he definitely walks the talk.

Gee, Glennon couldn't have been paraphrasing. Naw, couldn't be.