The complete Idiot's guide to our draft

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Face it, most of you are like me. You had no idea who any of these people were before Friday. So here's my draft review:

Round 2: A RB who may replace Marshawn in a couple years. Makes sense. I'm hearing he may have off-field issues but what the heck do I know?

Round 3: A DT. OK, I know we need DTs but this guy sounds like another hybrid inside pass rusher. Don't we already have that in Clinton McDonald and Craig Terrill? Maybe he can play bass. Really this tells me Jaye Howard sucks as much as he appeared. Not feeling great about this one.

Round 4: One of those big mid-round WRs who never seem to pan out.

Round 5: This is always the fun round. We got a big run-stuffing DT which is what I wanted earlier and a bad-ass physical CB which is always good. We also got a TE prospect who only really needs to be better Evan Moore was (remember him?).

Round 6: Another RB?? Oh wait, a FB. I thought you just got those off waivers in September. Didn't Tim Ruskell draft like 6 Fullbacks already? How did that work out?

Round 7: A D-lineman who we're converting to OL. I love the arrogance of Tom Cable. In case it doesn't work, we drafted two actual O-linemen. Plus a guy to further confuse the distinction between OLB and LEO. Just when I think I sort these things out I realize I really don't know.

Undrafted guys -- a whole bunch of actual Linebackers, one of whom may be our started by mid-season. Always com-PETE!

Final Grade: 11

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Here's my short 'n' sweet idiot's guide to our draft. The comparison players are obviously optimistic scenarios, especially with lower picks:

Round 1: Percy Harvin, WR, superstar receiver, and probably a better player than any drafted in this year's first round.

Round 2: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M, big, explosive running back some are calling the best RB in the draft; a mini-Beast Mode and his eventual replacement. Think Darren McFadden.

Round 3: Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, pure interior rusher. Great pass rusher with lesser run defense skills. Designed to fix our pass rush issues. Think Brandon Mebane.

Round 4: Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State, physical and muscular possession receiver with good hands and body control. Think Anquan Boldin or Early Doucet.

Round 5: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, powerful, physical run-stopper. Think Red Bryant.

Round 5: Tharold Simon, CB, LSU, muscular press cornerback with powerful hands and an aggressive, physical nature. Think Brandon Browner.

Round 5: Luke Willson, TE, Rice, big, fast, strong, and raw tight end whose pro day stats would have all been in the top ten of the position. Think a more refined, upgraded Jameson Konz.

Round 6: Spencer Ware, RB, LSU, violent third-down/goal-line running back that loves contact. Drafted as probably Mike Robinson's replacement. Think Marion Barber.

Round 7: Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt, small school strong and nasty lineman that has snaps at tackle, guard and center. Think Breno Giacomini.

Round 7: Ty Powell, DE, Harding, solid OLB/LEO type that has played DE, LB and safety. Drafted to play LEO. Think Chris Clemons.

Round 7: Jared Smith, DT/OG, New Hampshire, good strength and hustle 3-4 DL. Think another Sweezy-esque DT-to-G conversion project.

Round 7: Michael Bowie, OT, NE Oklahoma State, lanky and mobile left tackle. Think developmental Russell Okung.

Oh, and here's a Field Gulls write-up on our draft.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sailor... much better for the draft illiterate; you discussed their characteristics and included, in essence, a picture.
Bravo.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":32d7d3f2 said:
Face it, most of you are like me. You had no idea who any of these people were before Friday. So here's my draft review:

Round 2: A RB who may replace Marshawn in a couple years. Makes sense. I'm hearing he may have off-field issues but what the heck do I know?

Round 3: A DT. OK, I know we need DTs but this guy sounds like another hybrid inside pass rusher. Don't we already have that in Clinton McDonald and Craig Terrill? Maybe he can play bass. Really this tells me Jaye Howard sucks as much as he appeared. Not feeling great about this one.

Round 4: One of those big mid-round WRs who never seem to pan out.

Round 5: This is always the fun round. We got a big run-stuffing DT which is what I wanted earlier and a bad-ass physical CB which is always good. We also got a TE prospect who only really needs to be better Evan Moore was (remember him?).

Round 6: Another RB?? Oh wait, a FB. I thought you just got those off waivers in September. Didn't Tim Ruskell draft like 6 Fullbacks already? How did that work out?

Round 7: A D-lineman who we're converting to OL. I love the arrogance of Tom Cable. In case it doesn't work, we drafted two actual O-linemen. Plus a guy to further confuse the distinction between OLB and LEO. Just when I think I sort these things out I realize I really don't know.

Undrafted guys -- a whole bunch of actual Linebackers, one of whom may be our started by mid-season. Always com-PETE!

Final Grade: 11

Lol...Craig Terrill.

You may have been thinking about Michael Bennett for a minute - he will be a hybrid inside pass rusher.

I think you might be surprised with Chris Harper. He will be good.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1qox44yf said:
Here's my short 'n' sweet idiot's guide to our draft. The comparison players are obviously optimistic scenarios, especially with lower picks:

Round 1: Percy Harvin, WR, superstar receiver, and probably a better player than any drafted in this year's first round.

Round 2: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M, big, explosive running back some are calling the best RB in the draft; a mini-Beast Mode and his eventual replacement. Think Darren McFadden.

Round 3: Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, pure interior rusher. Great pass rusher with lesser run defense skills. Designed to fix our pass rush issues. Think Brandon Mebane.

Round 4: Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State, physical and muscular possession receiver with good hands and body control. Think Anquan Boldin or Early Doucet.

Round 5: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, powerful, physical run-stopper. Think Red Bryant.

Round 5: Tharold Simon, CB, LSU, muscular press cornerback with powerful hands and an aggressive, physical nature. Think Brandon Browner.

Round 5: Luke Willson, TE, Rice, big, fast, strong, and raw tight end whose pro day stats would have all been in the top ten of the position. Think a more refined, upgraded Jameson Konz.

Round 6: Spencer Ware, RB, LSU, violent third-down/goal-line running back that loves contact. Drafted as probably Mike Robinson's replacement. Think Marion Barber.

Round 7: Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt, small school strong and nasty lineman that has snaps at tackle, guard and center. Think Breno Giacomini.

Round 7: Ty Powell, DE, Harding, solid OLB/LEO type that has played DE, LB and safety. Drafted to play LEO. Think Chris Clemons.

Round 7: Jared Smith, DT/OG, New Hampshire, good strength and hustle 3-4 DL. Think another Sweezy-esque DT-to-G conversion project.

Round 7: Michael Bowie, OT, NE Oklahoma State, lanky and mobile left tackle. Think developmental Russell Okung.

Oh, and here's a Field Gulls write-up on our draft.

Interesting, hopefully they pan out that way.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I thought sailor's comparisons were pretty good. I'd make just one change: Hill looks a lot like Rocky Bernard to me. I dont see much of Mebane in him.

On the rest I think he nailed it. Although I like to compare Harper to Brian Blades rather then Boldin, since Blades was a Seahawk. He'll be a chain mover, a run blocker, and has some decent run after the catch abilities, but i dont think he'll be a huge down field threat.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Thanks John....you are pretty much right on...except the Craig Terrill reference, which has already been pointed out.

Wartooth

Reaction score
This draft wasn't as amazing as the last couple of drafts...
But still better than any of Timmy's drafts...
Anyone else still sticking pins in their Ruskell voodoo doll?
Or am I the only one?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wartooth":3hmmapvg said:
Or am I the only one?
My Ken doll is treating my Barbie doll like a pin cushion, does that count? Or is it just weird? :oops:

Wartooth

Reaction score
ivotuk":1dcxb1af said:
Wartooth":1dcxb1af said:
Or am I the only one?
My Ken doll is treating my Barbie doll like a pin cushion, does that count? Or is it just weird? :oops:

I live in Illinois...
I think it was last year, or the year before they had Timmy stealing air at the Bears headquarters...
I saw a video clip of him limping around...
I like to think I had something to do with that...
If it's true...
He should be suffering all sorts of ' unexplained' testicular pain.

General Manager

Reaction score
Terrill hasn't played here in years and Jordan Hill doesn't remind me of anyone on this team.

BigMeach

Reaction score
How are we able to compare this years draft to the previous years? Noone knew how money those drafts were a few days after they happened. Most thought we failed miserably. I will save my judgement for later, I'm not going to be made a fool of by our FO.

sc85sis

Reaction score

SE174

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Craig Terrell line was a joke, hence the thread title. JFC, people. I thought it was funny at least. :)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I think quite a few teams with be snatching our guys when we make final cuts.

OP is judging all of these prospects as lukewarm to bust scenarios by referencing the medocre drafts we had under Holmgren and Ruskell (whether he admits that or not). OP also has come out more than once predicting that no other teams would pick up any of our final cuts, and was proven wrong on at leat 2 occasions that I can remember (and he won't acknowledge that when called out :mrgreen: ). OP tends to be a negative Nancy, but he's OUR Nancy and has been with .net for a heckuva long time. Maybe his negative conditioning came from suffering decades of mediocrity...just a guess.

It IS a bit frustrating that the draft history under Pete Carol hasn't noticalbly changed the OP's opinions about potential success of our drafts. Equally frustrating is, if we release many of these players simply because making the roster is more difficult this season, it will appear to the OP that his intuitions were 'right.' :twisted: :p

Here's one more theory. The OP has in-depth knowledge of the salary cap and is a wiz with numbers. Since you can't quantify much of the strengths that make a player successful, maybe he'd rather call them a bust because he can't predict the outcome with a calculator. :p :mrgreen: Some people just have a problem with qualitative data :mrgreen: :p :lol:

Sturm

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3p6rsrtj said:
I thought sailor's comparisons were pretty good. I'd make just one change: Hill looks a lot like Rocky Bernard to me. I dont see much of Mebane in him.

On the rest I think he nailed it. Although I like to compare Harper to Brian Blades rather then Boldin, since Blades was a Seahawk. He'll be a chain mover, a run blocker, and has some decent run after the catch abilities, but i dont think he'll be a huge down field threat.

Brian Blades wasn't 230 lbs like this kid is. As far as body size, he's much more like Boldin.