Rumor....Urlacher

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:57 pm
  • Bobby was a better player than Urlacher last year. He had twice as many tackles, more sacks, and INT's. In every way Bobby was better and healthier. I also might add that Bobby out performed Lofa's rookie year as well. It's ludicrious IMO to say that He'd "Be a big upgrade over Bobby."

    I can't wait to see this Lbing corps with another year under their belts. I think Wagner and KJ are going to have great year's and I think we'll see Malcolm Smith take the Will job.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:00 pm
  • IBleed, from one antagonist to another, good job. Look at the rubes lining up to argue.

    Bravo!
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:04 pm
  • And now its moved, for no reason. A good rumor, by a trusted source.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:I would love to see the Hawks sign him. I think he still has a lot left in the tank and would be an big upgrade over Bobby Wagner, who I fully expect to regress significantly this year. Brian Urlacher is what this team needs to get to the next level and be truly elite.

    :snack:


    Just curious what makes you think Wagner will regress signifigantly?

    Personally, i suppose if its for near the vet minimum i'd be fine with it. Otherwise, no thank you on Urlacher.


    I'm curious too, as I've seen absolutely nothing to make me think he will regress.

    IBleedBlueAndGreen, what makes you "fully expect" him to regress significantly?
    User avatar
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5313
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm
  • Please let this be false!
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11034
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 pm
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Just curious what makes you think Wagner will regress signifigantly?

    Personally, i suppose if its for near the vet minimum i'd be fine with it. Otherwise, no thank you on Urlacher.

    I think he's trolling you guys, j.


    Just enjoying my beer and popcorn waiting to see who would be the first one to bite.


    1 ban for trolling coming up! :th2thumbs:
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18540
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Just enjoying my beer and popcorn waiting to see who would be the first one to bite.


    1 ban for trolling coming up! :th2thumbs:


    Aw come on, J!
    Image
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1360
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm
  • Considering he felt shafted when the Bears offerd him $2.5 I'd suspect he thinks he's worth more than that. I didn't watch enough of him last year to see how much of a step he has lost but he would be a good leader and I think Wagner would be a fine WLB. I'm not sold he's the best option out there FA or Draft but if it doesn't hurt us renegotiating Kam and helps us with the flexability to draft a #2 TE and a 6'2+ WR I'm in.
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2157
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 pm
  • pehawk wrote:What's wrong with Urlacher as backup and toy to use on rushing downs/blitzes/spot duty?


    He can't blitz anymore, he can't cover. In no way is he an upgrade.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1154
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:37 pm
  • This would be stupid.

    We built this team based on youth. We don't need washed up old has been.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9413
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    pehawk wrote:What's wrong with Urlacher as backup and toy to use on rushing downs/blitzes/spot duty?


    He can't blitz anymore, he can't cover. In no way is he an upgrade.


    Maybe. But maybe not as much in spot or back-up duties? Dude just gets worn down, he cant do a full season as a starter anymore.

    Not sure where I said he'd be an upgrade?

    At this point, Urlacher would come here for peanuts and a chance to win a ring. So, why not as depth?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Considering he felt shafted when the Bears offerd him $2.5 I'd suspect he thinks he's worth more than that.



    I heard an interview with him where he basically admitted he felt insulted by the bears for offering him so little after all his years of service and effort, and then said that he wouldn't ever settle for that kind of money and then quickly added on something to the amount of ". . . at least not from the bears.".

    IMO he would be a good depth guy along with a strong veteran leader for an otherwise young defense, if he came cheap and understood that role.

    having "veteran leadership" gets brought up a lot but sometimes it makes more sense than others, I think for this seahawks team that is so young he could definitely help our D keep things in perspective heading into a year where expectations will be high and the spotlight will be on them.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2702
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm
  • Urlacher's game had so much to do with his speed. Unfortunately he has lost a step
    warden
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1936
    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 pm
  • It's Singletary isn't it?
    User avatar
    Claden
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 296
    Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:12 pm
  • maybe he could return kickoffs?
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3312
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm
  • Claden wrote:It's Singletary isn't it?


    Funny, was going to ask, could it possibly be another Chicago linebacker?
    Image
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    1 ban for trolling coming up! :th2thumbs:

    Wow
    Image

    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    User avatar
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *
     
    Posts: 1596
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
    Location: Poulsbo, WA


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm
  • Hopefully its Lance Briggs and not Brian Urlacher.
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:08 pm
  • ...i don't think Wagz and KJ need a mentor at this point other than their LB coach. And he's a hell of a mentor. Keep old man Urlacher away and draft Zarian Gooden please.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10094
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:This would be stupid.

    We built this team based on youth. We don't need washed up old has been.


    Not true sir. We built this team's foundation with youth and not being committed long-term and big money investments in old players. The occasional savvy vet, especially to reinforce a position dominated by youth has been a very common theme throughout this regime's tenure.

    That being said, I dont know if I like the idea at all. Think I'll pass and still manage to get a good nights rest. :229031_shrug:
    Image

    Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    User avatar
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
    Location: Bellevue, WA


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm
  • You know which team is in the best position to know how effective Urlacher still is? The Chicago Bears.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2129
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:This would be stupid.

    We built this team based on youth. We don't need washed up old has been.



    Agreed, we can certainly better well spend the money on something we need.
    We can find a better alternative through the middle rounds that is ready to play, wants to play..
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 259
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm
  • FO had a good analysis of the best and worst run stoppers in the NFL. Urlacher made top 10. They had this to say:

    You may think that playing 3-4 outside linebacker is a huge help as far as making the left side of this particular list. You may be right. There have been a few 4-3 outside linebackers and the occasional middle linebacker like Brian Urlacher over the past few seasons, but it definitely helps you collect negative plays if you're moving on the snap.


    The guy was listed in the top 10. The only middle linebacker who made the list and he consistently makes the list. He's a special talent and anyone who buys into the "he's washed up" myth has been buying into the whole Bears fans excuses for why their team blew their shot at the playoffs. People like to find scapegoats.

    Oh and btw, Bobby didn't make that list.

    Seems I recall our team had a need for run stoppers as the season progressed.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4647
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:22 pm
  • One of the finalists for ROY AT MLB and people talk about moving him to WSLB... utter ignorance.
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2623
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:FO had a good analysis of the best and worst run stoppers in the NFL. Urlacher made top 10. They had this to say:

    You may think that playing 3-4 outside linebacker is a huge help as far as making the left side of this particular list. You may be right. There have been a few 4-3 outside linebackers and the occasional middle linebacker like Brian Urlacher over the past few seasons, but it definitely helps you collect negative plays if you're moving on the snap.


    The guy was listed in the top 10. The only middle linebacker who made the list and he consistently makes the list. He's a special talent and anyone who buys into the "he's washed up" myth has been buying into the whole Bears fans excuses for why their team blew their shot at the playoffs. People like to find scapegoats.

    Oh and btw, Bobby didn't make that list.

    Seems I recall our team had a need for run stoppers as the season progressed.


    This post changed me from "mehhh" to "slightly in favor"
    User avatar
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 977
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:You know which team is in the best position to know how effective Urlacher still is? The Chicago Bears.


    To be fair, the Bears did offer him a contract. A contract that was twice as much as the minimum. It will probably end up being the biggest contract Urlacher is offered this offseason. He made a mistake turning it down, IMO.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10912
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 pm
  • ErikG803 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:FO had a good analysis of the best and worst run stoppers in the NFL. Urlacher made top 10. They had this to say:

    You may think that playing 3-4 outside linebacker is a huge help as far as making the left side of this particular list. You may be right. There have been a few 4-3 outside linebackers and the occasional middle linebacker like Brian Urlacher over the past few seasons, but it definitely helps you collect negative plays if you're moving on the snap.


    The guy was listed in the top 10. The only middle linebacker who made the list and he consistently makes the list. He's a special talent and anyone who buys into the "he's washed up" myth has been buying into the whole Bears fans excuses for why their team blew their shot at the playoffs. People like to find scapegoats.

    Oh and btw, Bobby didn't make that list.

    Seems I recall our team had a need for run stoppers as the season progressed.


    This post changed me from "mehhh" to "slightly in favor"

    Haha, that's probably about where I stand too actually. I don't think everyone should rag on him as being over the hll, Urlacher is still an elite MLB. I wouldn't replace Wagner with him, but he could have a place on our team.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4647
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:One of the finalists for ROY AT MLB and people talk about moving him to WSLB... utter ignorance.


    I hate posts like these. Not only is it incorrect, but it paints dissent into a corner. Nobody wants Bobby Wagner to move to WILL. Some of us just happen to think he'd do great there if Seattle decided to make that move. What's so stupid about recognizing flexibility and weighing options?

    If Seattle really is talking about Urlacher, I hate to break it to you but it's not to have him play outside linebacker. Is Wagner a better MLB than old Urlacher? Most likely. But just the same, wouldn't a combination of Urlacher/Wagner be better than Wagner/Smith? Wagner has an outstanding WILL skillset, so I can see the angle. I doubt it would be a permanent move, and Seattle has shown a willingness to move players around in the past.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10912
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Haha, that's probably about where I stand too actually. I don't think everyone should rag on him as being over the hll, Urlacher is still an elite MLB. I wouldn't replace Wagner with him, but he could have a place on our team.


    I'm not saying that I want us to sign him, but it does sound like Urlacher's got a chip on his shoulder right now, doesn't it?

    I haven't watched Urlacher recently. I didn't even watch him close when Seattle played Chicago. Maybe he really is completely washed up. That said, I thought that an ancient Lawyer Milloy was washed up for years before he tore it up a bit in 2010 in Pete's style of defense. I remember thinking that Kurt Warner was washed up for years before the 2008/2009 seasons rolled around. Sometimes even an apparently washed up player can still have a lot in the tank. So for a minimum type deal, I don't see the harm in giving Urlacher a chance to find out which type of old player he is.

    Edit: I thought it was pretty funny to see who the #1 worst linebacker at stopping the rush was: Ray Lewis.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10912
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm
  • Out of curiousity, is there a track record with this poster's source? Is this the one that reported the Ruvell Martin signing and/or the Houshmandzadeh cut?
    User avatar
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 977
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 pm
  • ErikG803 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:FO had a good analysis of the best and worst run stoppers in the NFL. Urlacher made top 10. They had this to say:

    You may think that playing 3-4 outside linebacker is a huge help as far as making the left side of this particular list. You may be right. There have been a few 4-3 outside linebackers and the occasional middle linebacker like Brian Urlacher over the past few seasons, but it definitely helps you collect negative plays if you're moving on the snap.


    The guy was listed in the top 10. The only middle linebacker who made the list and he consistently makes the list. He's a special talent and anyone who buys into the "he's washed up" myth has been buying into the whole Bears fans excuses for why their team blew their shot at the playoffs. People like to find scapegoats.

    Oh and btw, Bobby didn't make that list.

    Seems I recall our team had a need for run stoppers as the season progressed.


    This post changed me from "mehhh" to "slightly in favor"


    As yet, I don't trust individual player metrics, especially thiz one. FO admit in their opening paragraph that this stat is flawed, as they are only counting the plays where that player shows up on the stat sheet. What you are measuring is in effect tackling efficiency in a very specific context.
    It is like fielding errors in baseball. The problem with that is that it pnly measures success when you get there. So, in baseball they divided the field into vectors, decided what a player should be able to cover, and came up with a fielding range stat which showed how successful the fielder was on all plays which involved or should have involved the fielder.

    No one is doutinw that Urlacher can tackle, but whether he can run. This stat doesnt measure that, or take account of DL play (he had Melton in front of him after all) or scheme. It shouldn't really change your mind even a little.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 796
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:You know which team is in the best position to know how effective Urlacher still is? The Chicago Bears.


    To be fair, the Bears did offer him a contract. A contract that was twice as much as the minimum. It will probably end up being the biggest contract Urlacher is offered this offseason. He made a mistake turning it down, IMO.



    Don't remember for sure but didn't the Bears offer him $2 million and he wanted $2.5 million? I thought at the time I read it seemed pretty silly to be steamed over half a million bucks at this point in his career.

    :les:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 am
  • Everyone is talking about how much Urlacher may or may not have left in his body, or if changing Wagner's position is a smart move. What about the mental presence of Urlacher? He will forever make Wagner and KJ better linebackers by playing next to him and learning from him in the film room. Urlacher is known to be one of the smartest defensive players in the game and is great at defensive audibles (as stated by Matt Hasselbach). And if possible, could actually raise the level of intensity in an already insane group.
    I hate to say it, but his addition to our defense would be very comparable to Boldin's addition to SF. Anyone who thinks Wagner is already better than Urlacher is crazy. And 80% of Urlacher is one hell of an addition. The guys mind will improve everybody on the defense.
    cheese22
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 28
    Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:25 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 am
  • Urlacher might have been dinged up the few games I watched him this year, but he was a shell of his former self. I remember watching him and thinking he was the slowest MLB I had seen all year. He's been a helluva player, but I wouldn't want him as starter now. Depth would be fine, but I doubt he accepts that role. Besides, I want a backup LB that can play special teams, like Farwell.

    I won't even get into my love for Wagner, who I've been high on since we drafted him. It'd take a special LB for me even to consider moving him.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

    Jack Dempsey
    User avatar
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1572
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:One of the finalists for ROY AT MLB and people talk about moving him to WSLB... utter ignorance.

    :13: it annoys me as well.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2504
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 am
  • I've said before, and I'll say it again; unless BU can show me two good knees on a passing physical, and a stellar workout including speed in the neighborhood of a 4.7 (or so), I'll pass.

    It goes without saying he would bring knowledge, but keep in mind, those that can no longer do, teach.

    BU would make a great position coach...
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 6287
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 am
  • I know he's over the hill, but give me an ANGRY Brian Urlacher at MLB over anyone for one year. I love Wagner, and he'll get as many snaps as he did last year. Wagner's versitility and play recognition will help him wherever he's put. A chance to play along side a HOF player in Urlacher will only help him. Urlacher only had almost one less tackle per game in 2012 v. 2011 and reports were that he was injured. For the right price (less than what was offered by Chicago), Urlacher would help our run defense more than any other player in the draft for one year.
    User avatar
    aawolf
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 444
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 am
  • He WAS one of the best Tampa2 dropper LBers ever. He is now just old,slow,can't change direction or stay healthy who wants to be paid based on his reputation. Did anyone really think Ray looked good last year in the playoffs/SB? I thought he was a liability most of the time. Give me Alan Branch back for the money it would require to get a washed up player who would end up being a backup or hurt.
    penihawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 am
  • Would he be any slower than Hawthorne?

    If he's willing to be a depth guy, what's the harm? He could always be traded to the Saints during camp too.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 am
  • I've thought about all the intangibles he could bring, and the willingness to take a pay-cut or to play second-fiddle, but we ask our LB's to work special teams also. I'm sorry, but I just can't find enough tangibles that put BU onto the team in anything other than simply the backup role Pe suggests. Can we afford to (or have the luxury to) have an aging vet that has limited contribution potential pocketing some of our team's cash?

    If anything, he would bring the experience, attitude, and just plain football knowledge necessary to eliminate a good portion of those plays that we say, "well, they got us on that one". The ones when that one or two guys guess wrong on that playaction and a back gets into the secondary for a first. He's got to have good discipline on the practice field as well.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 6287
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 am
  • Could he replace Hill?
    CornerHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:48 am
  • penihawk wrote:He WAS one of the best Tampa2 dropper LBers ever. He is now just old,slow,can't change direction or stay healthy who wants to be paid based on his reputation. Did anyone really think Ray looked good last year in the playoffs/SB? I thought he was a liability most of the time. Give me Alan Branch back for the money it would require to get a washed up player who would end up being a backup or hurt.

    Yeah, FO must be totally wrong about urlacher being one of the top 10 LBers at stopping the run and everyone who says he's too slow must be right.

    Cuz Golden Tate getting run down 40 yards downfield is a sure sign of an aging LBer with bad knees. :roll:
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4647
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 am
  • He is the definition of old and slow and we have a budding superstar second year player at his position...I just can't see it
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2402
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:08 am
  • Counter intelligence red herring?
    Image
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 am
  • Can Urlacher grow dreads? Can someone dig up stats on this?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 am
  • The Radish wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:You know which team is in the best position to know how effective Urlacher still is? The Chicago Bears.


    To be fair, the Bears did offer him a contract. A contract that was twice as much as the minimum. It will probably end up being the biggest contract Urlacher is offered this offseason. He made a mistake turning it down, IMO.



    Don't remember for sure but didn't the Bears offer him $2 million and he wanted $2.5 million? I thought at the time I read it seemed pretty silly to be steamed over half a million bucks at this point in his career.

    :les:


    What I heard he wanted 2 years @ 12 million or 6 million a year. The Bears offered 2.5 million for 1 year. Urlacher got butt-hurt and started crying to the media. He's acting like a cry-baby with all his complaining. Under NO circumstances would I want him in SEattle.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 am
  • pehawk wrote:Would he be any slower than Hawthorne?

    If he's willing to be a depth guy, what's the harm? He could always be traded to the Saints during camp too.


    You don't pay 3-4 million for a "depth guy". If he rejected 2.5 from the Bears than he's sure to cost 3-5 million to us. There's no logic to bring in a backup or 2 down player for that money. Considering you can roll your cap numbers into the following year. Why use that cap space now when you'll need it next year to extend some of our other players.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am
  • Urlacher came in to last season from an injury and wasn't ready to go. He was still on pace for 90 tackles with 102 the year before. He had two forced fumbles and recoveries and one interception.

    I am not ready to call the guy done yet but if PERCEPTION is that he is old and slow then of course he must be..........

    Him starting at 2 years $12 million isn't really a big deal of course you start big and see what comes back. He didn't cry to the media until afterwards and his complaint was that he was told there would be negotiations and he supposedly was given one number and that didn't change period.

    If he wants to play here and the people that knows wants him then I am sure he can contribute. We shall see....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3329
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Rumor....Urlacher
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    penihawk wrote:He WAS one of the best Tampa2 dropper LBers ever. He is now just old,slow,can't change direction or stay healthy who wants to be paid based on his reputation. Did anyone really think Ray looked good last year in the playoffs/SB? I thought he was a liability most of the time. Give me Alan Branch back for the money it would require to get a washed up player who would end up being a backup or hurt.

    Yeah, FO must be totally wrong about urlacher being one of the top 10 LBers at stopping the run and everyone who says he's too slow must be right.

    Cuz Golden Tate getting run down 40 yards downfield is a sure sign of an aging LBer with bad knees. :roll:


    Please, it wasn't like Urlacher out-sprinted Tate. Tate had to make the catch jump over the defender and then put a nasty juke move on the 2nd defender- bringing him nearly to a stop and then started to accelerate again. All the while Urlacher was running at full speed. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he caught him.

    If we looked at the production, Health concerns, and age and lets say his name instead of being Urlacher was John Smith, would you be fired up to sign him for 3-5 million? I would imagine that would be a resounding NO by nearly everyone on here. But because it's Brian Urlacher people like the idea. Makes no sense to me. His reputation far exceeds his actual ability in 2013.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Next


It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online