Big splash in FA....think again

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Right, because coaches and GM's are always so 100% honest this time of the year heading into free agency.

:shock:

That aside, we don't "need" to make a big splash. What big splash that is available is worth burning precious cap space on? It's more important to concentrate on our own core players and fill in the blanks with the draft and some smart, lower-caliber free agents.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's true because that's their philosophy. If they acquire a FA, it will be on the cheap. They won't trade up, only down. They value picks, not the quality of the picks, but the quantity. There will be very few players on our team that will get resigned. Guys like Wilson. The rest will leave in FA or get resigned for short term deals because they fill an immediate need.

Pete's telling it like it is.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So now we are measuring the size of the splash?

We will sign a few free agents. Book it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3vazew8l said:
It's true because that's their philosophy. If they acquire a FA, it will be on the cheap. They won't trade up, only down. They value picks, not the quality of the picks, but the quantity. There will be very few players on our team that will get resigned. Guys like Wilson. The rest will leave in FA or get resigned for short term deals because they fill an immediate need.

Well that's just not true. Lynch,Robinson,Unger,Giacomini,Bryant,Mebane and Clemons are all guys that have re-upped with the Hawks during Carroll and Schneider's tenure so far.

Axx

Reaction score
kobebryant":309cf6t0 said:
SalishHawkFan":309cf6t0 said:

Well that's just not true. Lynch,Robinson,Unger,Giacomini,Bryant,Mebane and Clemons are all guys that have re-upped with the Hawks during Carroll and Schneider's tenure so far.

agreed, Sherman, Earl, Okung, Wagner, and KJ, are some players that look like Seattle will want to keep.
Keep getting cheap players through the draft,and rarely sign big name free agents saves up a lot of cap room to resign the proven all stars.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It is somewhat playing poker but PC is honest. We mostly need better depth on the DL When Red or Jones were injured or playing banged up the drop off was noticeable.

They seem to be only looking at the 24-29 yr old free agent group and if they get a good player and their price, they will jump. Look at the FAs they have signed in the past

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be big, just right. If Clem is done and he very well could be, I can't see any option but a FA to fill his spot. It's highly unlikely BI can adapt to a 3 down end, and it's even more unlikely that we could draft a ready to start end.

Clemons wasn't a big splash when we got him, wasn't among the top FA's. And I think that's what PC is saying here, they aren't looking at the top FA's for their positional needs they are looking for a good fit for a reasonable price.

I do think he eliminated any 30+ retreads from consideration, fine by me.

chris98251

Reaction score
The FA's we sign typically sign low and short term contracts, usually in a prove you can play and want to be a part of this team, they get re upped if they do that and are incentive laden deals to maintain the performance. Exceptions were Rice and Miller whom I think have showed they will lay everything out there to play and perform.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Not exactly earth shaking news. There's a ton of teams out there that won't make many waves in FA: GB and us (under this regime) rarely do, and like Lady Talon said, it's not usually the big names, but the right fit. Bradley has said they're going to build Jacksonville like Seattle was built and stay out of FA. Then, some usual suspects have been quiet recently like Washington.

Overall, the FA market has been unusually quiet so far. Wallace and Jennings will make a splash, and probably Freeney when Indy finally decides to cut him (they will, but don't want to lose a compensatory pick).

Lady Talon

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":33b9irax said:
Lady Talon":33b9irax said:
Doesn't have to be big, just right

That's what she said. :oops:

If I meant to imply something I would have qualified the statement.

Such as: "just right" is a myth that can only be dispelled by a creative use of rubber.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
I don't see why so many people assume an ACL injury is doom for a player still. Clem is working hard in rehab and has said he'll be ready to go week 1. That doesn't sound like a guy that's "done" to me. Knee ligament surgery has come a long way in the last couple years. All you have to do is look at Adrian Peterson. That sort of thing is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson was a miracle in itself. There's no other case like his. So obviously it isn't the norm. Especially on a 32 year old that got nailed in January with an injury other players regardless of age have taken around a year to recover from. Of course he's going to say he'll be back next year...what else is he going to say? Cut me because I'll take up space and salary on your roster and never play a down until around playoff time so cross your fingers you'll get there.

If he comes back and I believe it'd be a bona fide miracle he sees the field before November, he isn't going to be that 3 down end or find the quarterback with frequency for at least another month, he's going to have to be rotated out often or else his knee will snap again.

Had to edit in that it isn't his ACL ligament that bothers me about his injury. The meniscus damage scares me badly he may never be the same.

It's a business, Clem would have been shown the door soon even if the knee never would have happened. Either in favor of an emerging drafted end or a younger decent FA.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I think I love Lady Talon. Or, catfish style, some dude. You make excellent points.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
hedgehawk":2d0g74zy said:
I think I love Lady Talon. Or, catfish style, some dude. You make excellent points.

LOL, you aren't a Norte Dame LB, I think you're safe. ;)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Lady Talon":35ffdxrd said:
Adrian Peterson was a miracle in itself. There's no other case like his. So obviously it isn't the norm. Especially on a 32 year old that got nailed in January with an injury other players regardless of age have taken around a year to recover from. Of course he's going to say he'll be back next year...what else is he going to say? Cut me because I'll take up space and salary on your roster and never play a down until around playoff time so cross your fingers you'll get there.

If he comes back and I believe it'd be a bona fide miracle he sees the field before November, he isn't going to be that 3 down end or find the quarterback with frequency for at least another month, he's going to have to be rotated out often or else his knee will snap again.

Had to edit in that it isn't his ACL ligament that bothers me about his injury. The meniscus damage scares me badly he may never be the same.

It's a business, Clem would have been shown the door soon even if the knee never would have happened. Either in favor of an emerging drafted end or a younger decent FA.
Wes Welker tore his ACL and MCL in week 17 of the 2009 and played week 1 in 2010. I believe he was 29, but I could be wrong.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Welker didn't get paid to battle 300+ lb OL that hang onto to you, lean on you, drive you around, etc etc. It isn't just Clem's own weight that this knee has to regularly support. How is he going to be planting his feet and not getting pushed out of his lane vs. the run? How's he going to to cut a corner on an edge rush with a 350lb left tackle applying force on him?

Skill players are one thing, they have to support their own weight until they get the ball and are tackled.

If you play in the trenches, you're getting substantial force applied to nearly every move you make from snap to whistle.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1f8mwdgc said:
Welker didn't get paid to battle 300+ lb OL that hang onto to you, lean on you, drive you around, etc etc. It isn't just Clem's own weight that this knee has to regularly support. How is he going to be planting his feet and not getting pushed out of his lane vs. the run? How's he going to to cut a corner on an edge rush with a 350lb left tackle applying force on him?

Skill players are one thing, they have to support their own weight until they get the ball and are tackled.

If you play in the trenches, you're getting substantial force applied to nearly every move you make from snap to whistle.

You said it's never been done before, I simply gave you an example that it had been done before.

I never said Clem would be back week 1, but it wouldn't be unheard if he was. With everything these guys have at their disposal, these aren't the career ending injuries they used to be.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2wn5tqzk said:
Lady Talon":2wn5tqzk said:

You said it's never been done before, I simply gave you an example that it had been done before.

I never said Clem would be back week 1, but it wouldn't be unheard if he was. With everything these guys have at their disposal, these aren't the career ending injuries they used to be.

What AP has done has never been done before, and to assume because he did what he did and come back better then ever to challenge for the rushing record and win an MVP can be applied to every knee injury we see in the near future is pushing the limits of credibility.

If some have the opinion that Clem can come back in week 1 better then ever and challenge for the NFL's all time single season sack leaders, that's fine. I simply said that Clem won't be the same 3 down player he was, is likely to take longer then he states and as I have demonstrated faces a whole different set of challenges then a slot receiver like Welker or a CB like Revis. He is after all, an undersized LEO facing off against what is usually the best, heaviest and strongest OL the opposition has to offer, and constantly bearing a significant amount of weight in addition to his own. He's not getting a weak jam off the line and running a route unimpeded until he touches the ball maybe 12 times a game and enduring a tackle afterwards. Welker himself was impeded by the injury in 2010, was down 30-40 receptions from surrounding years and was under 10 yards per reception for the only time in his career while Brady passed for 5k and won the MVP unanimously.

It's my opinion if they want to generate a significantly better pass rush this year compared to 2012 they ought to move on to a younger FA and cut him. Unless we can draft a miracle, do it all, ready to start, stud DT that generates the lion's share of sacks and QB pressures, Clem will fail being our featured pass rusher.

Latest posts