Offseason Free Agency Addition Thoughts ...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
After licking my wounds somewhat, I'm moving in to full on Offseason Mode. So, I've just started parusing through the potential Free Agent lists (seeing who might hit the market). I think that most of us can agree that Defensive End/Line is our #1 Offseason Priority -- and interestingly enough, it looks like there is a shot that we could actually address that through Free Agency. Here are a list of intriguing names that I've found so far that could hit the market ...

DE Michael Johnson (Bengals) (would be my dream addition, though I know from past experience that the Bengals owner has a long history of not letting guys go. He had 11.5 Sacks this season and at 25 years old, could be just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Given the Seahawks position on where they're going to be drafting, he just might be worth signing even if he has the Franchise Tag on him though.)

DE Paul Kruger (Ravens) (He had 8 sacks this season. Honestly, he could potentially pop free as Ravens QB Joe Flacco is a FA and will be their #1 offseason priority.)

DE Michael Bennett (Buccaneers) (I think the Bucs will try to retain him, but here again is another high motor huge upside guy who generates a lot of pressure. Again, given the Seahawks position where they're going to be drafting, he just might be worth signing even if he has the Franchise Tag on him.)

DE Cliff Avril (Lions) (Avril is another guy who really intrigues me. He finished with 9.5 Sacks on the season and has been very productive over the past 3 years. Definitely worth a look see if he becomes available)

other names of interest as far as Interior Linemen who might be available ...

DT/DE Henry Melton (Bears) (one of the top Defensive Linemen in the game. He's a very disruptive force on the line. He probably gets the Franchise Tag, but we'll see what happens)

DT/DE Randy Starks (Dolphins) (on this roster, he'd be a Jason Jones type. Still, that wouldn't be all that bad of an addition.)

Just a few names there whom I found interesting.

Any free agents you guys find personally attractive targets (WR's, DE's, LB's, CB's, etc.)

Greenhell

Reaction score
Michael Bennett. His second go 'round with the Hawks will be as it should have been the first time. Guys a wrecking ball.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Greenhell":2vscczcu said:
Michael Bennett. His second go 'round with the Hawks will be as it should have been the first time. Guys a wrecking ball.

Well we obviously know that Bennett is a guy that the coaching staff likes (since he WAS brought in here before). It's amazing to see what he's morphed in to ... going from UDFA to a guy who had 9 Sacks and 10 Tackles for Loss -- THAT'S the kind of production that we really need out of that position. Of course he was cut loose back in 2009 to make room for Kyle Williams from the Practice Squad. There's one you find yourself asking -- If only ...

hawksfan515":2vscczcu said:
I have heard great things about Paul Kruger. Gimme.

Kruger wouldn't be bad ... I don't like him as much as a Bennett or Michael Johnson ... but I like him as well. As I mentioned, one thing to keep in mind with Kruger is that he actually MIGHT hit the FA Market, as the Ravens could very well end up spending all their available FA $$$ on Joe Flacco. So, that one's actually a realistic possibility.

kearly

Reaction score
Bennett will likely stay in Tampa. Young + Good = no brainer for them. If Tampa is stupid and lets him test the waters, the Seahawks need to be in on it. Pete Carroll was not in Seattle the last time Bennett was here, but Bradley was. That could come into play, either for or against Bennett.

Kruger will stay if Baltimore has the money, but it's possible they might not. They currently have just 9 million in projected cap room, and if they end up being forced to tag Flacco, they will have to work some serious cap wizardry to keep Kruger. That said, Kruger doesn't fit Seattle. He's too small to be a 5-tech and (way) too slow to be a LEO. He's a natural OLB for Baltimore's unorthodox style of 3-4. He may not stay in Baltimore, but I would be surprised if he landed in Seattle.

Michael Johnson is a good, well rounded DE. He lacks the kind of blistering speed Pete likes, so I have a hard time seeing much interest there unless Pete scraps the Red Bryant experiment and makes Johnson his new strong side end (which seems doubtful). I doubt the Bengals let him get away anyway.

Cliff Avril is very similar to Chris Clemons, and would be a huge get for the Seahawks. The Lions have been fighting hard to retain Avril, using the franchise tag on him last year. However, you get the feeling that Avril wants to hit UFA and get his payday, and the Lions wouldn't likely double franchise him. If Seattle offers a big contract, Avril could be there for the taking. I wouldn't blink if Avril was available.

1-tech, 3-tech, 5-tech, Randy Starks can do it all. He's 29 years old, and that will likely impact his value on the market. That said, you have to think Miami will make a huge push to keep him, and using the franchise tag could be a legitimate option. Starks gives Seattle flexibility and a could be a solution if Red Bryant's foot problems persist. He should be strongly considered if available.

I'd be surprised if Melton hit UFA. Franchise tag seems likely.

pehawk

Reaction score
Avril should give 80% of his new contract to Suh. We'll see, but my gut tells me Avril produces because of teammates, nothing more.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2ugi9c2d said:
I have heard great things about Paul Kruger. Gimme.
He is definitely one I've aways enjoyed watching and have wished he was a part of the Seahawks. But I'm also pretty sure the Ravens want to keep him.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Moreso than any player acquisition, I am wondering if we have seen the last of the Red Bryant experiment? It's killing our pass rush. We cannot keep donating a valuable defensive position to science.

Irvin will be fine as a situational pass rusher, but not an every down player.

But I wonder why they seem so determined to keep pushing this Bryant thing? Don't get me wrong - I love me some Red. I just think it's diminishing returns for our pass rush.

We have GOT to be able to collapse a pocket and pressure a QB, in any environment and not just at C Link. We need a penetrating DT to help with that.

It will be interesting to see how they approach free agency and the draft this time. Pass rush, DT, WR and OL are all areas that need attention.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3d82uura said:
Moreso than any player acquisition, I am wondering if we have seen the last of the Red Bryant experiment? It's killing our pass rush. We cannot keep donating a valuable defensive position to science.

But I wonder why they seem so determined to keep pushing this Bryant thing? Don't get me wrong - I love me some Red. I just think it's diminishing returns for our pass rush.

We have GOT to be able to collapse a pocket and pressure a QB, in any environment and not just at C Link. We need a penetrating DT to help with that.

It will be interesting to see how they approach free agency and the draft this time. Pass rush, DT, WR and OL are all areas that need attention.

I agree that it is not working out with Red, but we just gave him a $35 million contract right? I don't think we can or would cut bait a year after doing that.

What I would not give for a defensive scheme that could consistently generate a pass rush...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would love Randy Starks ... he'd be a dream come true in this defense.

My free agent wish list is..

1A) Randy Starks
1B) Greg Jennings

Either one of those guys would be fannnntastic.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm NOT the type to say the following type statements; but why change the #1 scoring defense, i.e. Red? Yes, the lack of a pass rush hurt us yesterday, but not as much as TonyG and Matt Ryan making all-pro plays in tight windows.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":32xro9b7 said:
FlyingGreg":32xro9b7 said:

I agree that it is not working out with Red, but we just gave him a $35 million contract right? I don't think we can or would cut bait a year after doing that.

What I would not give for a defensive scheme that could consistently generate a pass rush...

I don't want to cut bait with him - I'm thinking of more of working him back to his natural position at DT. Perhaps with more experience now he can be better there.

I don't know. It's amazing we invested $35 million -- is his unique position THAT valuable?? It sure doesn't seem to be working.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
pehawk":2e262mk8 said:
I'm NOT the type to say the following type statements; but why change the #1 scoring defense, i.e. Red? Yes, the lack of a pass rush hurt us yesterday, but not as much as TonyG and Matt Ryan making all-pro plays in tight windows.

That's just the problem, Ryan - if the QB wasn't able to sit in the pocket all day long he would have had a much more difficult time completing those passes. But of course, I do concede that the Falcons are damn good at throwing the ball.

pehawk

Reaction score
Even without pressure, the Seahawks defense forced Ryan and Gonzalez to do the improbable. Sometimes the opposition just makes incredible plays. Hats off to them.

acbass

Reaction score
I definitely think Bryant needs to stick around. I would not be opposed to moving him back inside. Moving yes, cutting bait absolutely not.

The Radish

Reaction score
If you boys and girls want to keep this string going about free agency stuff I won't object. But is you all start posting different posts about different players expect them to all be moved to the NFL Forum.

:les:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The Radish":d9y9pq7m said:
If you boys and girls want to keep this string going about free agency stuff I won't object. But is you all start posting different posts about different players expect them to all be moved to the NFL Forum.

:les:

The two are totally related. Which free agent we may pursue is completely connected to what we do with Red Bryant.

:stirthepot:

SDHawk

Reaction score
Desmond Bryant and Richard Seymour should also be targets.

I like Mike Wallace over Greg Jennings.

We could also use Jared Cook.

Latest posts