Wagner and Russell are playing lights out but....

seabowl

Reaction score
I am still down on Bruce Irvin. Yes he has the 8 sacks but only 8 additional tackles for a total of 16 tackles in 15 games. He has been non existent for weeks and at this point looks like somewhat of a liability. If we are to do damage in the playoffs on the road our pass rush, particularly Bruce, needs to have more of an impact. Clemons is a beast but Bruce looks lost. Anyone else feel this way?

sutz

Reaction score
Not really. He's gotten some pressures and hurries, too.

He doesn't play every down, so his stat line may suffer, but I like him.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
yes, i'd much rather have Fletcher Cox, Quinton Coples or Chandler Jones for this playoff push. It's also looking like another linebacker would have been a good idea with Smith and Hill injured. Lavonte David is playing LIGHTS OUT. he would be a perfect addition to this defense (smaller faster).

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I don't notice him much during games. Wanted Cox or Coples on draft day. Effort is obviously there. Would be nice to see him break through with a big play in the postseason. Clem could use some help. On the one hand it isnt ultra-realistic to expect the world from a rookie and on the other this 'kid' is 25 and we need the passrush now...

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
New York fans were very down on Coples until yesterday when he had 2.5 sacks.

I'm lukewarm on Irvin but hindsight is always 20/20. I bet a lot of you guys who wanted other players probably thought we missed out on Mychal Kendricks when we took Wagner.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I disagree. His rush metrics are very good per amount of snaps he gets. When he is out there he is really bothering the RTs. It seems the Clem has just been cleaning up before Bruce gets there. He's doing a good job.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
He is pretty consistent with his pressures. Once he learns a move or two he is going to be lethal.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3dk7ctu5 said:
yes, i'd much rather have Fletcher Cox, Quinton Coples or Chandler Jones for this playoff push. It's also looking like another linebacker would have been a good idea with Smith and Hill injured. Lavonte David is playing LIGHTS OUT. he would be a perfect addition to this defense (smaller faster).

You're weird. Irvin has better sack totals than all of those guys and his tackle numbers are not that far behind for playing a third of the snaps compared to full-time duty for the three that you mentioned.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3k0kbsnw said:
He is pretty consistent with his pressures. Once he learns a move or two he is going to be lethal.

Yeah I was probably the biggest hater of his pick on this board when we drafted him for the exact reason you mention. He still has zero moves outside of a speed rush. Also he is non existent when forced to defend the run. I would feel better about him if we took him past the 1st round but it is what it is. At this point I think the coaches need to get creative with him for him to make an impact. Dude is disappearing in multiple games.

bellingerga

Reaction score
he's going to be a fine player for us, and I fully trust in the coaching staffs ability to develop players. They seem to always have a plan and they seem to know how much someone can handle, and when they can handle it.

He'll have more impact, and a bigger role with the team in the future, but I think for the playing time he has had, he's been a mighty fine player, especially for someone who was supposed to be a huge reach and a bust. If leading all rookies in sacks is a bust, I'll take the bust.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
IMO bringing in Ray Edwards for a look is an indication on how the coaching staff is viewing Bruce right now.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Way too early to pass judgment on this pick. He has shown plenty of flashes of being a scary defender, and we knew it was a raw talent we were getting. I can definitely see this guy reaching the next level next season.

strohmin

Reaction score
Why complain after the ass whooping we put out?

Who cares where he was drafted. He was the best prospect for what we needed.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ayc9ddr said:
Give him time guys, he will work out great for us.

Don't worry about them. Just four weeks ago people wanted PC fired.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
I have played connected careers with Irvin on Madden 13; he just needs to use his exp on his bull rush skills.

Twisted

Reaction score
every player is a keystone at this point, changing the chemistry shouldnt even be a thought..

madbohem

Reaction score
seabowl":gs2r1da4 said:
IMO bringing in Ray Edwards for a look is an indication on how the coaching staff is viewing Bruce right now.

Jason Jones is on Injured Reserve and that's why we went shopping. Bruce has nothing to do with Ray Edwards.