Adam Schefter on Russell Wilson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Adam Schefter on Russell Wilson
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 am
  • If you haven't already seen this, here is an article written by Schefter on the Hawks having been lucky to draft Russell Wilson.

My favorite part....
    Wilson has thrown a game-winning touchdown pass in the final two minutes of regulation or overtime three times this season, the most by a rookie since at least the 1970 merger. For a handful of teams, Wilson is the quarterback who got away. For one team, Wilson was a steal and a savior.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot

What Russell did in the 4th quarter and OT in the Bears game last weekend has catapulted Russell and the Seahawks into the national spotlight.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Re: Adam Schefter on Russell Wilson
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:51 am
  • You mad Mel Kiper?
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 am
  • After the draft, I remember seeing Pete saying in an interview that John Schneider wanted to draft Russell in the 1st round... and he had to be talked down to waiting until the 3rd round... and John was so nervous that another team would step in and grab Russell before the 75th pick.

To me, that is a resounding endorsement of John's scouting acumen and judgement.

NEWS FLASH: John Schneider knows football talent when he sees it.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 am
  • No doubt, the picks these guys have made have been very impressive, especially after the 1st round.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:13 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:You mad Mel Kiper?

Kiper ate some crow this morning on Mike and Mike, he gushed for a good 2 minutes on Wilson after he said if Wilson was 6'2 he would have been vying for the #1 draft pick with Luck.

Here's the audio, go ahead and skip to the 5:55 mark, first parts of the segment are about the Heisman and college coaching changes.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8723521
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 am
  • Peter King has mentioned in a few interviews that he knew of a Team that was guaranteed to draft Wilson had the Seahawks not taken him. He was sworn to secrecy as far as which team it was. Based on Draft order i assumed it was the Eagles to backup Vick.

Per Schefter:

The Philadelphia Eagles intended to draft Wilson 13 slots after Seattle's pick, at No. 88 overall, to back up Michael Vick but wound up drafting Arizona quarterback Nick Foles instead. The Indianapolis Colts planned to pick Wilson with the 92nd overall selection in the third round to back up Luck before taking Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton. And even the Washington Redskins would have grabbed Wilson with the 102nd overall pick in the fourth round to back up Griffin, but when he was gone, they picked Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Awesome.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:You mad Mel Kiper?

Kiper ate some crow this morning on Mike and Mike, he gushed for a good 2 minutes on Wilson after he said if Wilson was 6'2 he would have been vying for the #1 draft pick with Luck.

Here's the audio, go ahead and skip to the 5:55 mark, first parts of the segment are about the Heisman and college coaching changes.

LOL! Thank you for sharing this. I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 am
  • Zowert wrote:LOL! Thank you for sharing this. I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.

I put Kiper in the Chris Berman category...............old, tired and hacky to his core.

I wish I would have saved the website that tracked Kiper's draft predictions, but he's running on a bout an 18% success rate with predicting success in the NFL. He's nothing more than a draft dinosaur that's a household name due to the fact that he had a 20 year head start on being a "draft expert."

So yeah, credit the guy for finding a niche, or being ahead of the draft craze curve. But that's about it, there are now literally hundreds of better draft experts and analysts out there. But I'm sure ESPN will continue to drag his old ass out there every year to argue with anyone within earshot of his pompous ass.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 am
  • Basis4day wrote:Peter King has mentioned in a few interviews that he knew of a Team that was guaranteed to draft Wilson had the Seahawks not taken him. He was sworn to secrecy as far as which team it was. Based on Draft order i assumed it was the Eagles to backup Vick.

Per Schefter:

The Philadelphia Eagles intended to draft Wilson 13 slots after Seattle's pick, at No. 88 overall, to back up Michael Vick but wound up drafting Arizona quarterback Nick Foles instead. The Indianapolis Colts planned to pick Wilson with the 92nd overall selection in the third round to back up Luck before taking Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton. And even the Washington Redskins would have grabbed Wilson with the 102nd overall pick in the fourth round to back up Griffin, but when he was gone, they picked Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Awesome.

Can you imagine Indianapolis or Washington having Wilson as a backup? That'd been an embarrassment of riches.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    I put Kiper in the Chris Berman category...............old, tired and hacky to his core.

I wish I would have saved the website that tracked Kiper's draft predictions, but he's running on a bout an 18% success rate with predicting success in the NFL. He's nothing more than a draft dinosaur that's a household name due to the fact that he had a 20 year head start on being a "draft expert."

So yeah, credit the guy for finding a niche, or being ahead of the draft craze curve. But that's about it, there are now literally hundreds of better draft experts and analysts out there. But I'm sure ESPN will continue to drag his old ass out there every year to argue with anyone within earshot of his pompous ass.

18% hahahaha! I really wonder how he still has a job. The man is on a strict diet of crow and more crow. I can't even remember the last draft steal he predicted. He is good at calling number one and two picks, but he can't spot talent in the late rounds. Like someone who is in his position should be able to do.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am
  • Thanks Largent, funny that it took until Week 12, but even this guy has to give props. To be honest, I'm actually surprised he would ever admit he's wrong. Watching him get mad every time a team picks someone else, and then talking about how "horrible" the pick was gets pretty old. I love how Gruden tore him a new one after the draft, good stuff.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Interesting comments by Mel there
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 am
  • Nevermind, just listened again, he never says he's wrong, just some good stuff about Russell hahaha
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 am
  • Russell Wilson=Savior. How ironic and cool considering his own personal faith. I really love that kid.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm
  • You guys say Mel Kiper and Chris Berman are old and tired, yet how old is our coach. I think a perspective is needed, just because they are not of a specific generation does not mean they are without knowledge. Pete's schemes have been baffleing the experts since he and John have arrived.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm
  • Berman and Kiper don't know 1/1000 of what Pete Carroll knows about football.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 pm
  • Zowert wrote:I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.

In fairness, everyone was praising Aaron Curry too.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Berman and Kiper don't know 1/1000 of what Pete Carroll knows about football.

I was referring to the people that use age as a barometer for intelligence. In my view that shows a lack of respect and understanding about a lot of issues.

People said the same thing about Madden as well, but of all those that I have read saying it I am still looking for someone that was a head coach in the NFL and won a Superbowl.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:You guys say Mel Kiper and Chris Berman are old and tired, yet how old is our coach. I think a perspective is needed, just because they are not of a specific generation does not mean they are without knowledge. Pete's schemes have been baffleing the experts since he and John have arrived.

Did you just compare a coach to two TV personalities? I think you did.

Pete Carroll has been a respected coach at the top of his game for 30+ years. Chris Berman yells back, back, back, wears a Swami hat and rhymes player names with songs.......he's the Carrot Top of the sportworld.

btw, most people who have worked with him say he's a total ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I put Kiper in the Chris Berman category...............old, tired and hacky to his core.

And most of them are on this board!
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:58 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Coincidence or Karma? In Thai, the number 5 is prononuced "Ha". So 5:55 would be "Hahaha". That laughter is directed at myself as much as Kiper. Like Melvin, I thought RW was a reach. The biggest difference being, Kiper got paid for his stupidity...I didn't.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm
  • Another guy who was pretty critical of the Hawks back in April for drafting Wilson was Mike Lombardi...and he's actually been a GM in the league. I heard him on Simmons's podcasts saying it was a bad pick that high since we had signed Flynn. Also said that the training camp competition wouldn't work because it would end up with none of the guys getting enough reps etc. He's singing Wilson's praises now, but he definitely has not addressed being wrong with his initial comments.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm
  • I actually have an excuse. I felt Pete, whom I've often viewed as a college coach (in recent past), got caught up in Tebow-mania (anyone remember Tebow-mania?). I thought Pete was using our 3rd on a situational player to run some exotic version of the wildcat. I felt this because I was very high on Flynn and didn't consider the possibility RW would actually even compete for the 1 spot. So, when RWs name was called, I felt like Pete had used 2 of our first 3 picks (Irvin and RW) on situational players and that irked me, feeling such players were luxury picks reserved for top notch teams like NE. Pete still irks me from time to time, but there is no denying he knows talent when he sees it and I'm glad he's our coach.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 pm
  • So now we know who the mystery teams were. Philly is not a surprise at all, they needed a QB and with Vick's situation you had to figure they'd be taking a QB earlier than the 7th round, and only a few QBs in the draft carried high grades that were natural point guard types. That plus they were the very next team to draft a QB after Seattle.

Indianapolis is a surprise- sort of. They did an excellent job getting Chandler Harnish with the last pick of the draft. Luck and Harnish are mobile point guard types so it's not surprising in retrospect that they coveted Wilson. Washington isn't a complete surprise given the similarities RG3 and Wilson share, or the leadership/character similarities Wilson and Cousins share. Still, I definitely didn't see that one coming. I figured Green Bay was one of the mystery teams. Shame on them if they didn't have Wilson on their board. If Rodgers goes down their season is over.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information