Expect a battle this Sunday

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm kind of amused at perusing some of the threads that a lot of fans are expecting an easy victory. I don't see it that way at all.

Don't look at the Lions record (2-4) and let that influence you. This is still a team with a very talented QB (Stafford) who threw for 5000+ yds and 41 TDs last season -- which would take a Seahawks QB about three seasons to accumulate. He has the best WR in the game (Megatron). I'm confident in our defense and their ability to limit him, but he hasn't had one of his trademark breakout games (neither has Stafford) and it could come at any week.

They have a strong defensive line that could create a lot of problems for us, especially in the area of penalties...our Achilles Heel. The Lions are backed into a corner and have to win this game to keep their season alive -- desperation activates the fight reflex. They are playing at home and the city will be fired up with the World Series also going on next door.

We can't keep expecting to win scoring less than 16 points on the road (we've scored 16, 13, 16 and 6). We can't go 2+ quarters without a pass completion. We can't keep wasting 100 yard efforts from Marshawn Lynch.

Doug Baldwin is out, which does not bode well for our offensive woes.

Oh by the way, it's a 10 am PST start East Coast game. I don't need to remind everyone of our track record in these games.

I think we find a way to win, but I expect another very close nail biter. It would be a great time, as I pointed out in another thread, to get the turnovers flowing and to score on defense or special teams.

seanoob

Reaction score
This seems like a smart post. I am amazed at how much chance seems to be involved in the outcome of NFL games. There are no easy road wins - the panthers played us to the wire and they don't seem as good as the lions.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I expect a nail biter every week until we prove otherwise.
Cant wait to play some teams that are average at best on both sides of the ball

This is better than hoping not to be blown out like we have in the past.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Also waiting to break out and finally show itself is the Hawk's offense that we witnessed with Wilson at the helm in pre-season.

Being a homer, that's what I anticipate will happen.

Largent80

Reaction score
EVERY game is a battle. Top that off with Seattle on the road.

Last weeks game does not inspire much confidence, coupled with our road record, I don't see an easy win at all. Until Seattle proves otherwise, I expect a loss on the road.

Prove me wrong players.

seanoob

Reaction score
As I become a more rabid fan, I truly understand why people react so strongly to close plays. I've begin to question if any reaction is an overreaction.

kmedic

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks this is an easy win hasn't been watching Detroit and the rest of the NFL very closely. I completely agree with your post, this will be a difficult win IMO. Frankly, I'm actually expecting a loss. Detroit is a better team than their 2-4 record. They have a great QB and WR's in Johnson and Young. They have a great front 4 on defense and a solid LB corps. My worry isn't necessarily that Megatron is going to have a field day on us, but rather that front four causes turnovers from our offense leading to easy red zone scoring opportunities for them.

I think this game will really tell a lot about whether we are true playoff contenders or not. Beating a crappy Carolina team on the road is one thing but beating a solid NFC North team with their backs against the wall is another. My guess is that our beloved Hawks will find a way to stumble in the game and lose another close nail biter.

hawker84

Reaction score
everyone's entitled to their opinion on the outcome, personally i think we go in there and beat the wholey livin you know what out of them in their house, get on the plane and say next..... while probably a close game score wise, i think we'll out play them flat out for the win...

5280Hawk

Reaction score
While i agree this wont be easy,

It WILL be easier than last week.

The reason Stafford and Megatron are struggling is that the league has figured out the 1 trick pony. Nate B. is their #2.
The lions Running game is very weak, Javid Best is on IR.

Their Defense played well against the Bears last week, but they aren't as good as the 9ers by any measure.

Keep Wilson Protected and we will get passing yards in this game. Play good pass rush Defense and wE'LL WIN.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
5280Hawk":a17hg5fy said:

The reason Stafford and Megatron are struggling is that the league has figured out the 1 trick pony. Nate B. is their #2.

Their Defense played well against the Bears last week, but they aren't as good as the 9ers by any measure.

Keep Wilson Protected and we will get passing yards in this game. Play good pass rush Defense and wE'LL WIN.

...and Burleson is out for the season now.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Largent80":2u09wosb said:
EVERY game is a battle. Top that off with Seattle on the road.

Last weeks game does not inspire much confidence, coupled with our road record, I don't see an easy win at all. Until Seattle proves otherwise, I expect a loss on the road.

Prove me wrong players.

...and to consider the odds makers that have Seattle a 2.5 point "dog". We will have to play "out of our minds" if we are to win...ie. we must move to an entirely new level of competence.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
The homer that I am thinks we will win, BUT..if I were to bet the farm I would not bet on the hawks away. I’m very excited to see if this offense can build some consistency and make quicker adjustments

SeaWolv

Reaction score
5280Hawk":3ahap5e9 said:

I agree with this perspective. Being born and raised in Michigan and now living here again (after a 15 year stint in Bellevue) I get to see a lot of the Lions. They are dangerous. Any team with Stafford, Megatron and Suh would be. Their D, although improved from last year, still isn't elite despite their current total team D ranking. Their running game continues to be anemic and now that Burleson is gone for the season they're O is very one dimensional. It won't be a cake walk but the Hawks should prevail.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Sadly the only thing that scares me about this game is our offense vs their D Line.

pehawk

Reaction score
Incorrect.

Hawks opponents MUST be mentally tough, to withstand the Hawks physicality. Sorry, I'm not buying the Lions wont fold like the Cowboys eventually.

The Lions can be made to buckle. Yes, I've watched them. Punch them in the mouth a few times. The Bears did it on one side of the ball, the Hawks will do it on all three.

12thMan1

Reaction score
I expect a battle every Sunday. Especially since those games we were supposed to win easily (Rams, Cards) turned out to be losses.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Rams and Cards play HARD. The Lions, dont play hard all the time. I dont see them playing hard for 4 quarters, it's not in their make-up.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
pehawk":hy9b28rv said:
The Rams and Cards play HARD. The Lions, dont play hard all the time. I dont see them playing hard for 4 quarters, it's not in their make-up.

I think they will play hard this week. The season is on the line for them.