Let's say we sign Clowney...

getnasty

Reaction score
and do nothing else to bloster the pass rush. How are you feeling about the DL next year?

I'm hoping we still draft an edge or DT early but i feel ok about it and hopefully that Greene and Collier take the next step.

Hendo66

Reaction score
IF they get Clowney, D Line still needs work. Hoping for at least one more addition prior to the draft.
Options i like as FA's: Everson Griffen, Kamalei Correa, Shelby Harris
Trade options: Ngakoue, Judon

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Much as we hate him, how about Clay Matthews? For less than $5 mil.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
this guy has the tools .. RASHEEM
GREEN

if he was coming out this year .. he would go before third round

279 lbs 4.73 forty 1.65 ten yard split 34 inch arms 7.24 three cone almost ten foot broad jump

10 sacks as a true junior

1 sack his rookie year 4 sacks his second year .. he will be younger than some of the dudes drafted this year at 22

it is not impossible that Green becomes a dude ... might lack that dog mentality .. but the vmac .. coaches people up and he has youth and tools that you want to work with...

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I would not be opposed to bringing in a number of good rushers.
Add Bennett, Mathews, and Griffin to the mix

rcaido

Reaction score
Cant believe im saying this but Clay & Bennett would be awesome...Not Clay Bennett that lying bastard who stole our Sonics.

ivotuk

Reaction score
JPC4Days":35l2b7ol said:
GREEN

279 lbs 4.73 forty 1.65 ten yard split 34 inch arms 7.24 three cone almost ten foot broad jump

1 sack his rookie year 4 sacks his second year .. he will be younger than some of the dudes drafted this year at 22

it is not impossible that Green becomes a dude ... might lack that dog mentality .. but the vmac .. coaches people up and he has youth and tools that you want to work with...

He also had to deal with a knee issue his first year. That's why he fell to the 3rd, and struggled his first year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
No Thank You to Michael Bennett.

The reason he was traded away is because he was going for stats, and abandoning his gap responsibilities.

Sure he had sacks on other teams, but was it at the expense of his run gap responsibilities?

Why have all of the teams that he played for said "Thanks, but No Thanks"?

That's the reason we dumped Sheldon Richardson. He was trying to pad stats, and giving the coaches the middle finger.

So, no, thank, you.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Our D-Line still needs work. Bruce Irvin isn't that great, and if we're relying on him to fix our pass rushing woes we're going to be in for a rude awakening. Irvin is more good in certain situations. Irvin really only has one pass rushing move and if you get him in the right circumstance he is useful.

Clowney is a disruptor for sure, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be a top tier pass rusher. He's great at destroying the backfield, collapsing pockets, and bull rushing the tackle back into the QB's face. He is absolutely a player you want on your team -- but I can't say he's a great edge rusher.

Green is well.... Green. We really don't know what we have in him yet.

L.J Collier was a nothingburger last season. He had more snaps than you might think, something to the tune of 150. He just was a complete non-factor when he was on the field, and in many cases a liability. Betting on him is a dangerous game at this point.

We're also missing a true space eater such as Brandon Mebane in the middle at DT. We don't have anyone that can take up multiple blockers outside of Clowney -- but he mostly plays on the outside. We need somebody that can come from the inside and collapse the pocket. A Mebane type of player really is our huge missing link right now.

We need another good edge rusher, and a space eater. Bruce Irvin is situationally good, Clowney is a good all around player/disrupter but not a consistent pass rusher. We're missing another piece here. If we were to get somebody such as Matthews we'd have a unit of pass rushers that while individually flawed but complement each others weaknesses and strengths. After that we'd need a big ol' thicc boy in the middle to eat blockers.

toffee

Reaction score
JPC4Days":3064yox4 said:
GREEN

Won’t be too surprised to see 8+ shacks from Green this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmahon316

Reaction score
toffee":2lad9ua6 said:
JPC4Days":2lad9ua6 said:
GREEN

Won’t be too surprised to see 8+ shacks from Green this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. I feel like too many people are under-estimating him.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
I could see Greene and Collier playing the end positions on run down and then both being able to kick inside on obvious pass situations. Agreed we need a run stuffer but they always find that guy for cheap and could bring back Mone who played fairly well until the suspension. What's the story with Naz Jones and DeMarcus Christmas? Not that i expected much from either but both should be healthy and have a shot at making the team.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
getnasty":3qw6yycc said:
I could see Greene and Collier playing the end positions on run down and then both being able to kick inside on obvious pass situations. Agreed we need a run stuffer but they always find that guy for cheap and could bring back Mone who played fairly well until the suspension. What's the story with Naz Jones and DeMarcus Christmas? Not that i expected much from either but both should be healthy and have a shot at making the team.
I'd argue that we've been missing that guy since the departure of Mebane. It isn't just about run stuffing either, a guy that can push pockets means that the QB can't step up. Just look how difficult Russell Wilson's life became when Hunt had to replace Britt. He didn't get outright beat, but it made it impossible for Russ to step up. A collapsed pocket means most QB's aren't able to step into their throws, or make throws with proper form. It also allows defensive ends and other pass rushers have a better angles -- it also makes it harder for tackles to punch and redirect defensive ends. This is the situation that speed rushers such as Bruce Irvin thrive under. Another advantage is often times these DT's eat up blockers leaving other guys to wreck havoc on the opposing offensive line in both pass rushing and run blocking situations.

All of the other random DT's that fulfilled Mebane's role haven't really cut it. They've been just okay, or below average. This has been one area that Pete has really struggled to fill in drafts and free agency.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ai6t25a said:
getnasty":2ai6t25a said:
I'd argue that we've been missing that guy since the departure of Mebane. It isn't just about run stuffing either, a guy that can push pockets means that the QB can't step up. Just look how difficult Russell Wilson's life became when Hunt had to replace Britt. He didn't get outright beat, but it made it impossible for Russ to step up. A collapsed pocket means most QB's aren't able to step into their throws, or make throws with proper form. It also allows defensive ends and other pass rushers have a better angles -- it also makes it harder for tackles to punch and redirect defensive ends. This is the situation that speed rushers such as Bruce Irvin thrive under. Another advantage is often times these DT's eat up blockers leaving other guys to wreck havoc on the opposing offensive line in both pass rushing and run blocking situations.

All of the other random DT's that fulfilled Mebane's role haven't really cut it. They've been just okay, or below average. This has been one area that Pete has really struggled to fill in drafts and free agency.

I agree we haven't seen anyone at Mebane's level but a combination of Mone/Greene has the potenial to get you close without spending 10 million a year on that kind of player. Hopefully Poona can continue his growth as well.

TAB420

Reaction score
They have been for a few days now. And, they have about 25 mil to spend. I think he's gone.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, Seattle went into the UFA period needing a few things:

DL
OL
WR
TE

Thus far, they've added to TE and look to add more. They've added 3 OL players. Leaving DL and WR.

It sure looks like they've loaded on some lesser positions of need, in order to form their draft board. WR is exceptionally deep. They can add here even late 2nd/late 3rd admirably. They basically opened up their options considerably if they feel the need to aggressively move up.

My guess is, they are thinking Clowney + Irvin and their first draft pick whenever it happens. Probably just a few options at or around 27 (Gross-Matos, Okwara or perhaps Chaisson). I'd expect Seattle to go for a DE in that 27-40 overall range, and then look BPA, with possibly a WR for R2.

If Philly is considering trading a 2021 1st and Alshon Jeffery for Ngakouae, then I would think a 2020 2nd and Lockett would make that same deal work. That's mostly because Lockett's contract would most offset Yannick's and this is a great draft to get an immediate serviceable replacement out of the box. Lockett is a better WR and is younger. As much as I'd hate losing Lockett -- it'd be the soundest move to sideways transition cap space from WR to DE -- at a time when getting a replacement in the draft is exceptionally available.

Seattle has done well to not only hedge their OL -- but already look able to slot in an immediate, if not as good, replacement for Britt. TE is pretty much set. But I still have a feeling Trautman is on our list of draftable players considering his shuttle/3c which we highly covet and which were superb.

If we can come away with Okwara, Isiah Wilson and Jeremy Chinn in the top 64, I think that's a huge haul. And looks like realistically could happen. Considering that Chinn at 225 was only one of 4 DB prospects that fulfilled Seattle's criteria for CB. And 2 of those 4 are actually safeties. (Chinn, Duggar).

I'd say Ruiz/Cushenberry are not on the docket any longer. Their stock is going to be top 50 overall and that's too rich for outstanding needs. The hedges in place already foretell that. I'm not sure on TE, since they seem to be still interested in that. Worst case (so likely will happen), is we trade down to 35-40 overall and take Hunter Bryant a good 40 spots before we should. Because Pete -- well when he falls for a prospect, he falls hard. That would be the quintessential McDowell/Penny type pick.