Let's say we sign Clowney...

kf3339

Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder at what point does the team say enough is enough, and go in a different direction? Clowney has seen the market and how it values him. Time for him to decide or perhaps time for the Hawks to sign a few other guys (Griffin, Matthews, ect). I even think a trade should be in the consideration.

I personally don't like letting a player hold you up on what our D-Line needs while so many other edge rushers have already signed.

hawks85

Reaction score
kf3339":1ihq0n13 said:
I am beginning to wonder at what point does the team say enough is enough, and go in a different direction? Clowney has seen the market and how it values him. Time for him to decide or perhaps time for the Hawks to sign a few other guys (Griffin, Matthews, ect). I even think a trade should be in the consideration.

I personally don't like letting a player hold you up on what our D-Line needs while so many other edge rushers have already signed.
A lot of people including Clowney don't understand this dude isnt worth 20 plus mil a year at least not yet. The fact that Clowney said he wanted to go to a winning team for the right price makes no sense to me. This guy is sitting out un-signed because he wants the 20 plus mil a year. I bet Seattle offered him a good deal 15-18 mil per year 4-5 years with 60-70 percent Guaranteed imo or something like that. He's not getting 20 plus mil a year this year. I don't care if he re-signs here or not. Seattle needs to move on and go get Yannick etc..Clowney is being greedy af. Teams are looking at numbers and his injury history. I wouldn't be surprised if Clowney sits out until Sept again just like last year. Now I can see why the Houston coaching staff didn't like this guy. Clowney is full of himself...Yup I said it.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks gambled and didn't pursue some great players in order to sign Clowney late . If they miss on him too then the D-line will once again be in trouble . Even if they do get Clowney back the DL is expected to be less then stellar anyway .

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
xray":1ktgkfkq said:
The Hawks gambled and didn't pursue some great players in order to sign Clowney late . If they miss on him too then the D-line will once again be in trouble . Even if they do get Clowney back the DL is expected to be less then stellar anyway .

I'm sure they were still looking at numerous other players and if they came at the right price point would have been signed. They never seem to overpay for free agency's and they never seem to be active early. This year is no different.

If we miss on Clowney you could still sign Griffin, Vernon or see a trade for Judon, Yannick or Kerrigan.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":ourdh63v said:
xray":ourdh63v said:

I'm sure they were still looking at numerous other players and if they came at the right price point would have been signed. They never seem to overpay for free agency's and they never seem to be active early. This year is no different.

If we miss on Clowney you could still sign Griffin, Vernon or see a trade for Judon, Yannick or Kerrigan.

I think they need two of those names

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just Clowney is not enough, we have to add another 2-3 players on the line either during the 2nd and 3rd wave of free agency, or the draft.

It's why I think guys like KJ and Britt are gone. Let's say we sign Clowney for the reported 18-20M, that wipes out pretty much the rest of our cap space...........and we haven't even had the draft yet, or addressed 4-5 other depth/starter spots along the D-line, O-line and other areas.

over 20M is freed up if we cut KJ and Britt, more than enough to sign another couple guys and pay all our draft picks.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
We need clowney and one more solid d line guy and i think we will do really well next yr.

Kinger95

Reaction score
What’s better for the team

A) signing Everson Griffen and Suh for a combined 20ish mill and they both play say 15 games...
Or

B) sign clowney to a 20ish million dollar deal and he plays say 12 games and missed 4 from injury which would be statistically average.

I’m really seeing why teams are hesitant to ink jadeveon

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The bottom line is this they have to sign either Clowney or Everson Griffen. Then make a trade hopefully or get lucky in the draft at DE. If they don't sign one of those two players it's a massive failure.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":25rwbuqj said:
The bottom line is this they have to sign either Clowney or Everson Griffen. Then make a trade hopefully or get lucky in the draft at DE. If they don't sign one of those two players it's a massive failure.

I think your right but if griffin is half the cost of clowney and more reliable injury wise he might be the smart money especially because I think as much as clowney is a “disruptor” he just Isn’t a big time producer when I comes to sacks and I think most people would agree that he should have straight up had more than 3 sacks last year no matter the situation. That just an abysmal number for some that’s always near the QB

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":387acyjd said:

Griffen cannot be either/or with clowney. He's just not thst good. He has to in addition to clowney or some other top dl

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Safety we have Diggs,McDougald and Blair so were probably ok there but Nickle CB is still a huge issue so is Flowers they need an alternative to him if he can't turn it around and they don't have one . LB is also an issue we don't have the quality of depth there that we need if Wags gets hurt and lets be real he likely will be if were being realistic Seattle is in huge trouble. Don't tell me BBK and Barton either they are not the answer. Seattle has to find a LB with some chops somewhere in this draft or they will regret it I promise you. K.J has been having knee issues he's not getting any younger either is Wags imo they must add talent there.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19ij42pn said:
Northwest Seahawk":19ij42pn said:

Griffen cannot be either/or with clowney. He's just not thst good. He has to in addition to clowney or some other top dl

I agree but that doesn't change the fact that at minimum they have to sign one them . I doubt they can sign both if were being realistic.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't see that we need Clowney, Griffen, Yannick or anyone. We had Clowney last year. He drew double teams and we had a bottom feeder pass rush. Aaron Donald would draw double teams on this team and we would have a bottom feeder pass rush.

Pete's D requires a run stuffer/pocket collapser like Mebane/Reed and then three guys that can win 1:1 to get sacks.

Clowney is a more athletic Red Bryant; stout against the run and an outside pocket collapser, but not slippery enough to beat blocks and get to the QB. Maybe Irvin has learned some pass rushing skills in his absence, but again he's a guy that relied on his physical gifts rather than any technique to get sacks.

I think this D is just stuck in 2nd gear all the time because we have a bunch of good athletes; but not anyone besides Bobby, KJ, Kendricks, McDougall and Diggs that know how to play their position.

Bottom line: if Clowney stays or walks, everyone on that defense is going to have to elevate their game if we're going to have an elite defense again. The problem is we're not seeing the lights come on for the young guys fast enough and Diggs is the only one of the 5 I mentioned that will be under 30 this year.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Bring in Bennett for cheap for a year and sign Clowney long term. Heck Bennett had
double the amount of sacks Clowney had. [emoji1688]

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk