Poona Ford has been “elite” against the run

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1074818414579871745[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1074765099489869824[/tweet]

TreeRon

Reaction score
In the next two years he will be a starter and a player other teams will account for in their game plan.

Polk738

Reaction score
I thought Poona really flashed in the preseason, not sure why it took them so long to get him starting on the D-line-his TFLs yesterday were just jaw-dropping.

knownone

Reaction score
I honestly think Poona will be the best player from this draft class. Double teams do not move him and he's an explosive enough as an athlete to develop as a pass rusher. Seriously, dude would have been a second-round pick if he was 3 inches taller.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He will be the RW of his draft class.

His only flaw is height which limits his 3rd down capabilities as he can’t get his hands up to block passes. But he is a run defense stud. And that’s fine with me. A UDFA 2 down DT is awesome. We essentially drafted Reed in the second round to be that kind of player.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3l48rf5q said:

His only flaw is height which limits his 3rd down capabilities as he can’t get his hands up to block passes. But he is a run defense stud. And that’s fine with me. A UDFA 2 down DT is awesome. We essentially drafted Reed in the second round to be that kind of player.

No passes to block when the QB is on the ground.

sutz

Reaction score
knownone":3r2exn4m said:
I honestly think Poona will be the best player from this draft class. Double teams do not move him and he's an explosive enough as an athlete to develop as a pass rusher. Seriously, dude would have been a second-round pick if he was 3 inches taller.
And he would probably be less effective. At his height he has leverage on just about everybocy. Plus, he's built a little like Russ Wilson, he has very long arms for his size. ;)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":ibp5dpq6 said:

I can see that. I felt like he's flashed in virtually every opportunity he's had.

The only reason I can think of for him not getting more looks, is that his run gap discipline isn't where it should be. We've seen a LOT of DT prospects flash over the years only to get punted off the team. And I questioned at the end of last year if we were going to necessarily resign Sheldon Richardson -- a player I liked tremendously -- for this same reason.

Nothing will get a DT in the doghouse faster than not sticking with their run fits. It's a cardinal sin that DTs in this scheme cannot suffer.

The good news, is that Poona has been getting consistently more snaps as the year has gone on. One might expect that's due to injury attrition but our DT group is basically at full health. So he's just earning more time. And if you look at the games he's been inactive, other than the Cowboys game which was early, he seems to be benched against matchups where we have heavy Dime package expectations.

He definitely could be the best addition of the entire 2018 group by this time next year. And that's saying a lot because there are many players who share that outlook.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Sac":11koephs said:
Poona is the next Mebane+

Mebane is another short tackle whose lack of height also helped him with leverage.

Poona is way more productive than Stephen

Sac

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":c24o58w0 said:
Sac":c24o58w0 said:

Mebane is another short tackle whose lack of height also helped him with leverage.

Yup. That's why I said that. Only I think Poona's ceiling may be higher.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sac":vm94pyq8 said:
WestcoastSteve":vm94pyq8 said:
Sac":vm94pyq8 said:

Yup. That's why I said that. Only I think Poona's ceiling may be higher.

Only looks that way because he's shorter. all standard ceilings are pretty close in height. :p Cathedral ceilings however ........

knownone

Reaction score
sutz":306lh56c said:
knownone":306lh56c said:
And he would probably be less effective. At his height he has leverage on just about everybocy. Plus, he's built a little like Russ Wilson, he has very long arms for his size. ;)
I don't know if he'd be less effective, he'd certainly be different. If he was 6'3 he'd have better measurables than Jaran Reed. That's the weird thing about Poona. He's like a pint-sized Suh from an athletic standpoint. Someone who weighs 310 pounds should not run 4.9 forty with a 7.4 3 cone.

Jville

Reaction score
NEF2fJSI

Some photos are PRICELESS

Credit >>> [tweet]https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/1075541438685896704[/tweet]