Opening Drive Issues

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
What’s the over/under for when the hawks score a touchdown on the opening drive? It’s been so long, it’s almost purposeful.

Break the streak. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think they really care about it. :229031_shrug:

Of all the stats/numbers people like to dream up this might be the most irrelevant. The Seahawks have had a winning record pretty much throughout that time period.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point. It's almost as if Pete just uses the first half to "feel out" the other team. It's annoying, but it's pretty much expected. Even though I wish they would come out in a hurry up and put some points on the board right away.
It's to the point where if they get a few first downs on the opening drive, you feel like they accomplished something :?

Seymour

Reaction score
Don't care? I wonder. If nothing else it indicates your offense is ill prepared to compete from the opening kick at all time NFL record levels.

They can say that if they want, but we are still in the NFL record book for epic failures on opening offense. :pukeface:

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wlobcrn said:
Very good point. It's almost as if Pete just uses the first half to "feel out" the other team. It's annoying, but it's pretty much expected. Even though I wish they would come out in a hurry up and put some points on the board right away.
It's to the point where if they get a few first downs on the opening drive, you feel like they accomplished something :?

Scoring points and feel out the other team, are not mutually exclusive.

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I think the problem is on the other side of the ball. Per Pete's philosophy, the D is supposed to be good enough to keep them from scoring too much in the early stages of the game.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Its never good to know before each game we're spotting the other team at least one extra drive...since we all know our first attempt is going in the trash. Every team wants to find out what the other team is doing. Nothing wrong with trying to score some points while you're doing it. Sheesh. That stat is embarrassing

T-Hawk

Reaction score
The part that really bothers me about it is that the opening drives are scripted plays. These should be planned and practiced ahead of time, so it's really troublesome that we have such little success with them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Schotty is much better then Bevell, he has the scripted plays to start the game but then by around second possession is using what he found out to create situations, why we are scoring earlier I think, Bevell used to take a half of scripted plays and he never seemed to learn anything.

kf3339

Reaction score
The opening drive issues wouldn't matter if this team was consistently a SB contender every year since our first SB win. But the truth is that our record has been worse each year since then, so people will point out issues that are a potential tell.

This is just one of them.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":15gcjr01 said:
Schotty is much better then Bevell, he has the scripted plays to start the game but then by around second possession is using what he found out to create situations, why we are scoring earlier I think, Bevell used to take a half of scripted plays and he never seemed to learn anything.

I think and hope that you're right. I came into the season very optimistic about an offense that could get into rhythm faster, it's been a little disappointing so far, but it's still early and if we can build off last week and continue to improve I'll be happy.

rcaido

Reaction score
kf3339":2fkd6ibx said:
The opening drive issues wouldn't matter if this team was consistently a SB contender every year since our first SB win. But the truth is that our record has been worse each year since then, so people will point out issues that are a potential tell.

This is just one of them.

This doesn't make sense...We have the second best record since Wilson arrived...Wouldn't that make us SB contenders every year?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Many of you wouldn't be good at poker or chess. I'm sure teams know which plays will tend to work best against a defense, but if you use them all early, they have time to adjust and shut them down.

There is a reason we do well in second halves. We typically use the first half to set up the defense for what we think will be the best plays and then hit them in the second half. It's more than just feeling out. It's running specific plays out of specific personnel to lull them into thinking one thing. Then we do something else in the second half. Just like a good pass rusher will show certain moves early in the game to set up a different move later in the game on important downs.

Admittedly I'd like to see some earlier scoring, but the first drive score is irrelevant to me. I just want to get to the second half tied or in the lead. We almost always win in that situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2vef4axk said:
Many of you wouldn't be good at poker or chess. I'm sure teams know which plays will tend to work best against a defense, but if you use them all early, they have time to adjust and shut them down.

There is a reason we do well in second halves. We typically use the first half to set up the defense for what we think will be the best plays and then hit them in the second half. It's more than just feeling out. It's running specific plays out of specific personnel to lull them into thinking one thing. Then we do something else in the second half. Just like a good pass rusher will show certain moves early in the game to set up a different move later in the game on important downs.

Admittedly I'd like to see some earlier scoring, but the first drive score is irrelevant to me. I just want to get to the second half tied or in the lead. We almost always win in that situation.

The argument for that is if you have something they can't stop you use it till they find a way and then see what they did and what that opened up to exploit next.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If they get a first down on the opening drive, I guess that's successful.

The opening drive stuff needs to stop. And "feeling out" the other team basically translates into "we didn't do a good job game planning, so we made in game adjustments." Quite frankly, it's unacceptable.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3rcavjr9 said:

So you want to go into 2nd half tied or in the lead, yet are not concerned we give drives away every week and now no longer have a top 10 defense??

I guess you believe in miracles then.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2d6esijt said:

Then why do the Patriots, Saints, Packers, Chiefs, Rams, Steelers, etc. aim to score early, usually do, and continue scoring throughout games? Those are great offenses. If you have such a limited set of plays that works against a defense that they figure you out within a few early drives and shut you down, that's your fault as an offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Slow starts over and over again are not a sign of a team that knows how to step on someone's throat. Every drive of a game is important. And starting fast is very important. It's maddening that they look like they're going thru the motions so often in the first half of games. And frankly, it has caught up to them the last couple seasons. You can't always be playing it close or playing from behind in the 4th. You need to strike first and keep it rolling, especially in a road game. Pete can act like it's no big deal, I beg to differ. It IS a big deal to blow so many opportunities to score in the first half of games.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I believe the slow starts are part of a feeling out process but I also dont believe our defense is good enough that we can still get away with it.