Opening Drive Issues

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
What our offense does or does not do on their opening drive has very little to do with what our defense does in giving up points on the other side.

Perhaps the more difficult questions to ask is why our opponents might drive the length of the field on their opening drive.

But since we have started this way for years (since PC came here), yet still found ways to win and win against top competition, tells me this is only an issue for those looking for issues, and to cast blame.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They don't have nearly as deep of a team (talent wise) that they had in the past. The room for error is much smaller. They used to be able to count on one of the best defenses in decades to keep the other team from scoring. Including 4 straight years of leading the league in scoring Defense. We just don't have the depth to play like that anymore. The Offense needs to put up chunks of points, while eating up clock to keep the D fresh. We all look at it differently or our own way. But, at some point, you need to put up points in the first half of games. Go for the throat from the get go.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2hi9263h said:
Many of you wouldn't be good at poker or chess. I'm sure teams know which plays will tend to work best against a defense, but if you use them all early, they have time to adjust and shut them down.

There is a reason we do well in second halves. We typically use the first half to set up the defense for what we think will be the best plays and then hit them in the second half. It's more than just feeling out. It's running specific plays out of specific personnel to lull them into thinking one thing. Then we do something else in the second half. Just like a good pass rusher will show certain moves early in the game to set up a different move later in the game on important downs.

Admittedly I'd like to see some earlier scoring, but the first drive score is irrelevant to me. I just want to get to the second half tied or in the lead. We almost always win in that situation.
This is ignorant. I'm sure they practice scripted plays during the week just to see what the defense thinks of it. Scoring is just a bonus lol. Seriously?! Of course they are trying to score, every drive, every time they touch they ball. Every time. This actually isn't chess. It's football

Seymour

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":3vdmqsom said:
Mad Dog":3vdmqsom said:
Many of you wouldn't be good at poker or chess. I'm sure teams know which plays will tend to work best against a defense, but if you use them all early, they have time to adjust and shut them down.

There is a reason we do well in second halves. We typically use the first half to set up the defense for what we think will be the best plays and then hit them in the second half. It's more than just feeling out. It's running specific plays out of specific personnel to lull them into thinking one thing. Then we do something else in the second half. Just like a good pass rusher will show certain moves early in the game to set up a different move later in the game on important downs.

Admittedly I'd like to see some earlier scoring, but the first drive score is irrelevant to me. I just want to get to the second half tied or in the lead. We almost always win in that situation.

This is ignorant. I'm sure they practice scripted plays during the week just to see what the defense thinks of it. Scoring is just a bonus lol. Seriously?! Of course they are trying to score, every drive, every time they touch they ball. Every time. This actually isn't chess. It's football

Ya, they don't want to score, they just want to learn.

Funny they expect to learn from the first drive what will work, when they have an entire season of 2015 they learned absolutely nothing about our team and QB from. :?:

Oh...BTW....guess what year our last opening drive score was? :pukeface:

rcaido

Reaction score
Rope-a-dope!

Tire them out & go for the kill...Its been like this forever

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1f6b6xu6 said:

Psst...........you can in game scheme for the 2nd half AND score in the 1st half. Teams do both, like all the time. It's totally legal.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":y5nk849p said:
What our offense does or does not do on their opening drive has very little to do with what our defense does in giving up points on the other side.

Perhaps the more difficult questions to ask is why our opponents might drive the length of the field on their opening drive.

But since we have started this way for years (since PC came here), yet still found ways to win and win against top competition, tells me this is only an issue for those looking for issues, and to cast blame.

I mean, they did score opening drive TDs at their height though. They just haven't since early 2016, which is about when th decline started.

rcaido

Reaction score
They had an opening TD against the Falcons in the playoffs & we lost...

When we won the SB we only had one opening drive TD all season.

adeltaY

Reaction score
No one's saying opening drive TDs are a magic bullet, it would just be nice to have more than zero in a 30 week regular season span or however long it has been.

I agree with what Soulfish is saying about the lack of talent compared to those days and how we need to compensate with a better offense now. It's not like those 2012-2014 offenses were amazing either, they were designed in a way to play off a historically great defense. Second half of 2015 is the best this offense has ever been.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
For me it's not all about this TD stat, it's about what it represents. An inefficient 1st half offense that goes 3 and out too often and leaves the defense on the field too long.

If we were getting field goals or at least drives with 2 or 3 first downs and then a punt to pin em back deep, it wouldn't be as frustrating. Too often we see the opposing team manage a decent drive with or w/out points, then we go 3 and out giving it right back, and before you know it the 1st quarter is almost over and we've only run a few plays.

I know we win more than we lose, but it's in spite of this, not because of it.

Fade

Reaction score
I read somewhere (I think on reddit) that the Seahawks are 48-0 when leading by 4 points or more at the half. Since 2012.

So yeah. They need to fix it. DO NOT GIVE PETE A PASS ON THIS.

When the Seahawks score early their chances go up significantly to win.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Fade":2h5q6lr7 said:
I read somewhere (I think on reddit) that the Seahawks are 48-0 when leading by 4 points or more at the half. Since 2012.

So yeah. They need to fix it. DO NOT GIVE PETE A PASS ON THIS.

When the Seahawks score early their chances go up significantly to win.

When the hawks are ahead by four after. . . 30 minutes. That's a lot of time.

This has very little to do with the first drive. If they score on their 3rd drive of the 1/2 and their 5th, and are ahead, what's the issue?

Posters making mountains out of molehills here.

sutz

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that if Pete was asked about this topic he would say something like:

Oh that? Yeah, I don't give that much thought.

:twisted:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
The answer to this annoying conundrum probably lies somewhere between Pete’s natural, conservative offensive mindset

...and something he THOUGHT he heard (high as Neptune on some UW medical grade Mary) in one of that guy Jordan Peterson’s word soup speeches ...

....at the exact moment that Nate was in the kitchen waiting for the oven to preheat while playing around on his Serato, horribly mixing Kanye West—wait, excuse me, YEEZY and Tears For Fears songs, with ultra-liberal amounts of auto tune added. :(

Oh, and reruns of Bob Ross painting trees, HAPPY gottdamn trees, was likely on loop on the 189" tv hanging on the wall in his breakfast nook.

Whatever it is, I hope his therapist is an ex Hell's Angel + diehard Hawks fan and slaps some sense into the 'Bubbleyum Torturer' and makes him understand that it’s perfectly legal to light a wack ass defense up EARLY in a sport where one shanked FG attempt or crooked zebra could be the reason he’s fishing in January!

Ok, I feel a little bit better now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37vsrfjv said:
Mad Dog":37vsrfjv said:

Psst...........you can in game scheme for the 2nd half AND score in the 1st half. Teams do both, like all the time. It's totally legal.

How many games do you see where a team scores from beginning to end in a game vs. games where a team scores early then seems to get shutdown in the second half?

It's pretty rare to be able to score at will continuously in the league unless you have a huge personnel advantage.

xray

Reaction score
Slow starts aren't recommended in any sport. Carroll always has said it's not how you start but how you finish. I would rather play with a lead and stress the opponent ; but who am I to question the genius of Pete Carroll. :irishdrinkers:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
chris98251":x56hyd5a said:
Schotty is much better then Bevell, he has the scripted plays to start the game but then by around second possession is using what he found out to create situations, why we are scoring earlier I think, Bevell used to take a half of scripted plays and he never seemed to learn anything.

except when Russell knows to check down (i.e. Chicago game) and they call a time out to keep him from doing so - I still can't believe that - let your QB do what he's supposed to and if it makes you look like an idiot, so be it, because you are, in fact, being an idiot.