Remember how we looked at other players

chris98251

Reaction score
Because of what the experts were telling us ns what some members believed at the time.

Browner a cast off from the CFL to slow to play in the NFL.

Sherman a WR trying to play CB that was benched by Harbaugh as a WR, too stiff and too slow.

Lynch a malcontent that was benched in Buffalo.

Wilson too small, career back up if he is in the league at all.

Thomas would not be able to hold up in the NFL due to his size.

Chancellor to slow to play safety, too small to play LB, has no position and is to aggressive and bites on plays, not good in coverage.

That's just a few of our top players, this is why I try to look at what we do and how we put our guys in their positions and use their strengths and developing technique to make their short comings strengths.

Our D line is a good example of this as well with Clemons, Bryant, Bennett, Avril who blossomed here after Detroit, they said he was lazy and a product of having Suh on the team.

Why what we see draft day and what we seem game day can be a country mile apart as far as where and how the guys we bring in play in the systems we use them in.

The one place this has not played out well is the O line, but I think it's due to having to much player rotation and position change and lack of continuity. I know that John and Pete have said they want the unit to grow as a unit, which again leads back to our draft and big contract vets possibly not being here much longer. We have to pay our O linemen something on their second contract for them to stay, the only way is to not have 10 plus or there about million dollar corners and safeties. Why a big part of this draft is also in my view a reload, we will have a few years of reasonable costs in the secondary again if our draft is a hit on the secondary players we drafted and brought in.

The experts and many here cannot look at initial draft grades and how they performed in another system and think were going to ask the same thing of them they did where they came from always.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I will say this about draft grades. I used to follow this stuff closely and one thing that stood out was this. Teams that pick early and pick big name players alway get higher grades. Back in the early 2000's the Lions and Cardinals would get A's and B's every draft yet they always picked in the top 10. The bigger the names your team can draft the higher the grade your team will get.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sdog1981":2q4i6eqe said:
I will say this about draft grades. I used to follow this stuff closely and one thing that stood out was this. Teams that pick early and pick big name players alway get higher grades. Back in the early 2000's the Lions and Cardinals would get A's and B's every draft yet they always picked in the top 10. The bigger the names your team can draft the higher the grade your team will get.
Or if you're a "legacy team" the won't give you a bad grade. *allas, NE, Stealers, GB, etc etc rarely get graded poorly.
*allas has pretty much sucked for 21+ years but I bet they always graded out as A's and B's.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2htygy8c said:
sdog1981":2htygy8c said:
Or if you're a "legacy team" the won't give you a bad grade. *allas, NE, Stealers, GB, etc etc rarely get graded poorly.
*allas has pretty much sucked for 21+ years but I bet they always graded out as A's and B's.

Spot on

mikeak

Reaction score
OP I don't disagree that we focus on name recognition and early picks. That has always been clear.

However as those names you mention proves - guys that prove they can play become household names almost immediately and the clubs drafting them gets recognition.

Seahawks issue is that we don't really have any hidden gems for multiple years. Some solid players sure but no household names....

Lockett and Clark may become better known this year which would make the 2015 class solid / good

2014 - Britt is it. I always liked Richardsson and when he plays he proves it over and over again. Just not sure he will get the playing time he deserves

2013 - Spencer Ware is the only star.....

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":19s9m5pz said:
OP I don't disagree that we focus on name recognition and early picks. That has always been clear.

However as those names you mention proves - guys that prove they can play become household names almost immediately and the clubs drafting them gets recognition.

Seahawks issue is that we don't really have any hidden gems for multiple years. Some solid players sure but no household names....

Lockett and Clark may become better known this year which would make the 2015 class solid / good

2014 - Britt is it. I always liked Richardsson and when he plays he proves it over and over again. Just not sure he will get the playing time he deserves

2013 - Spencer Ware is the only star.....

Now add this, Wilson the face of the Franchise, had instant notoriety as the starter.

Sherm, Browner, Thomas, Chancellor as a group had bravado, had the hits, had the picks, and had a mouthpiece in Sherman that brought attention to them.

Lynch had smash mouth runs, Beastquake and then No Media interviews and that got him more attention the speaking.

Bryant had no issues talking and now we have Bennett who the media loves to get to speak and guest on the radio circuit.

What I am saying is there is a certain amount of promotion that happens, whether it's the team, the player in the media or his complete domination that makes him newsworthy and his name broadcast across the country.

Right now, Lynch has left, Wilson was injured, Sherman and the LOB have not been in the media except the trade talks of Sherman, the team has not dominated as before and the media really just says yes Seattle is good and then moves on.

When you are unknown and nobody expects success from you and you burst on the scene and have a personality to boot it demands attention whether the media likes it or not, see Prisco who has a grudge as an example and some others. With the teams success and the personality the team has the bias and naysayers was used as a torch that these guys carried. They won a Super Bowl and got the respect they deserved and recognition. I am hoping this next group will carry the banner once again using the mentorship of the some of the guys listed as a guide.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":3jt8k2r4 said:
. I am hoping this next group will carry the banner once again using the mentorship of the some of the guys listed as a guide.

On this I agree 110%!!

I am also in the camp (maybe I am alone in this camp) that while I would prefer a more up-tempo higher scoring offense using the tools that I do believe we have I acknowledge and understand that it is not the PC brand of football. His style is around ball control, field position and wearing the opponent down. Based on that scheme of football I really like the draft. We won a Super Bowl with that style I just hope that with a year under their belt the OL is better simply from experience and coaches understanding their limitations and this combined with a renewed dominant defense is what carries us for the next few years

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":l49mjv41 said:
I am also in the camp (maybe I am alone in this camp) that while I would prefer a more up-tempo higher scoring offense using the tools that I do believe we have I acknowledge and understand that it is not the PC brand of football. His style is around ball control, field position and wearing the opponent down. Based on that scheme of football I really like the draft. We won a Super Bowl with that style I just hope that with a year under their belt the OL is better simply from experience and coaches understanding their limitations and this combined with a renewed dominant defense is what carries us for the next few years

Good post here. I totally agree with you. I'd love to see more offensive power.

But your comments about scheme state exactly why I don't think there's reason to get too worked up on either side about this draft. Not taking a top (relative to this draft only) O-line prospect may still work out fine since our draft capitol went into maintaining the longevity of a stout D.

Even with Pocic's potential to add to the line this year, I still pray for RW's safety...