Why Did RW Bulk Up This Year?

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Does anyone know the answer to this?

The smart ass in me thinks he did it because he knew he was going to get killed by the lack of offensive line. You know, got to protect those internal organs.

The pessimist in me thinks it is because he blew off his training regimen due to being in love.

The optimist in me thinks that the trainers told him he would hit the perfect balance of speed and durability with the build.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Maybe he likes cheetos.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Married and expecting a baby = sympathy weight gain :lol:

cymatica

Reaction score
He figured he would be a running back half the pass plays, may as well look like one

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
“His weight will fluctuate,” Huard said of Wilson. “I think he will be a 210-225 guy, and I think he’ll be a bigger guy when he’s done (with the game). Quite honestly, would I rather have him be a 200- or 205-pound guy year round? No. I’d rather have him be able to absorb a lot of the hits that he’s taken.”

Pretty much to prevent injury, but I guess that didn't help when it comes to your legs though. The weight could also be the reason why his runs don't look as explosive as when he was lighter.

The thing I miss about Wilson is when we are in the redzone he would take the chance to run it in, but the last few years he opted to try and pass even though it looked like he had a clear lane.

Source: http://sports.mynorthwest.com/106129/br ... ood-thing/

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Dude did you not see the myriad of videos posted of his off season work outs? He bulked up to try and take the hits he knew were coming.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
brimsalabim":76w19ksh said:
Dude did you not see the myriad of videos posted of his off season work outs? He bulked up to try and take the hits he knew were coming.

He tell you that?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Feel free to speculate, but don't fight with one another.

Unless someone has a link, speculation is the best we can do.

I think he did it for the "nude" shoot he'll be doing soon :{)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":10faq1w0 said:
The pessimist in me thinks it is because he blew off his training regimen due to being in love.

I don't understand this statement. Even for an elite athlete like him, he still needs adaptive stimulus from moving heavy stuff to turn a calorie surplus into a high ratio of lean body mass to fat. Otherwise it's the other way around. Lifting weights to provide this stimulus takes more time and thought than conditioning work. Am I misunderstanding what you said?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
My biggest fear is that he'll become Donovan McNabb. I used to watch the Eagles some years back, some of my family are Eagles fans. And the one thing I remember is that McNabb used to be agile and quick and then he bulked up some muscle. And then that bulking eventually turned into fat gain a few more years later. McNabb did that because he too suffered from a poor O-line and wanted to avoid another ACL tear or major injury.

It's as if these coaches see these mobile, elusive Qbs and take it for granted. Investing in everything else but the O-line

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
RW has started to "fill-out" over the years. Remember that pic of him last offseason? Everyone was making fun of him for putting on weight? Wilson is not the "205lb" QB in the 2012 draft anymore just like most of the other QB's in the NFL. For sure it's not affecting his ability to scramble or the effectiveness at passing.

If you truly want to question his ability at this point, it's not a lack of physical means. Now, if you want to psycho-analyze the guy and point towards "He got married", "Has a child on the way", or "He finally got paid", go at it.

RussB

Reaction score
Because he knew he was going to take a beating and that the coaching staff wouldnt invest jack shit in the o line again except for a rookie and backup level tackles.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He had to get all yoked to fend off Ciara's ex.

Seriously, it has to be to take the pounding. Wilson works very closely with a trainer, and they have this very dialed in. After Wilson's knee injury, Wilson's trainer was on record as saying most football players would have torn that knee badly, where Wilson worked on his flexibility and only got a sprain/mild tear.

Look at the perspective: the average fan is saying "well if Wilson was faster, he wouldn't have gotten hurt" where Wilson's trainer is saying "most other guys would be on IR right now". I'll go with the expert.

hawk45

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3mkwtzix said:
falcongoggles":3mkwtzix said:

I don't understand this statement. Even for an elite athlete like him, he still needs adaptive stimulus from moving heavy stuff to turn a calorie surplus into a high ratio of lean body mass to fat. Otherwise it's the other way around. Lifting weights to provide this stimulus takes more time and thought than conditioning work. Am I misunderstanding what you said?
From context isn't it clear that in the "blew off training" scenario the ratio of lbm to fat would be lower?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":116rj7xl said:
brimsalabim":116rj7xl said:

He tell you that?

Why else does a QB bulk up on purpose.

To think a football player and team leader as dedicated to his job and personal/team success like Russell all of a sudden got lazy, married, baby on the way, ate too much and all of the other dumb reasons I've seen on this thread is insane to me.

If he bulked up, it was for the purpose of minimizing the effects of getting hit.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawk45":156jl511 said:
bmorepunk":156jl511 said:
falcongoggles":156jl511 said:

From context isn't it clear that in the "blew off training" scenario the ratio of lbm to fat would be lower?

When I read "bulk", I think of bodybuilders, and they want to keep fatty minimized during that process. If he's saying he thinks he just got fat, that isn't clear.

Latest posts