Why Did RW Bulk Up This Year?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3opzamdl said:
Bobblehead":3opzamdl said:
brimsalabim":3opzamdl said:
Dude did you not see the myriad of videos posted of his off season work outs? He bulked up to try and take the hits he knew were coming.

He tell you that?

Why else does a QB bulk up on purpose.

To think a football player and team leader as dedicated to his job and personal/team success like Russell all of a sudden got lazy, married, baby on the way, ate too much and all of the other dumb reasons I've seen on this thread is insane to me.

If he bulked up, it was for the purpose of minimizing the effects of getting hit.

Maybe he thinks bulking up makes him a better passer, He can throw further, run faster.

I"ve never heard of anyone saying I'm bulking up cause I'm going to get hit a lot, perhaps, I just don't have the insights as others.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":21g2iwj7 said:
Sgt. Largent":21g2iwj7 said:
Bobblehead":21g2iwj7 said:
brimsalabim":21g2iwj7 said:
Dude did you not see the myriad of videos posted of his off season work outs? He bulked up to try and take the hits he knew were coming.

He tell you that?

Why else does a QB bulk up on purpose.

To think a football player and team leader as dedicated to his job and personal/team success like Russell all of a sudden got lazy, married, baby on the way, ate too much and all of the other dumb reasons I've seen on this thread is insane to me.

If he bulked up, it was for the purpose of minimizing the effects of getting hit.

Maybe he thinks bulking up makes him a better passer, He can throw further, run faster.

I"ve never heard of anyone saying I'm bulking up cause I'm going to get hit a lot, perhaps, I just don't have the insights as others.

Bulking up would make him slower and really have no affect on his arm.

So no, if Russell bulked up, it's to protect his body from all the hits he takes.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I recall RW saying before the 2015 season that he felt his ideal paying weight was around 215 and he was having trouble getting there.

Some interesting comments here from his trainer,Ryan Flaherty, from June 2016:
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...fseason-training-focused-on-injury-prevention

"Last year, his coaches were always saying, ‘We want you around 218, 219.’ And they say that because they want him to be able to absorb a lot of the hits he’s going to be taking," Flaherty said.

"The more additional body weight that someone carries in order to take those hits and be able to stay healthy, they’ll naturally lose some speed, because he’s carrying extra weight around. It’s like anybody. You put a weight vest on them and they slow down. So it’s kind of like finding that fine balance."

"After last year’s experience," Flaherty added, "I think he’s back to saying, ‘No, no. I want to be a little bit lighter because I want to be able to get away. I don’t want to take those hits.’ I told him before, ‘If you’re fast enough, you don’t need to take hits. So let’s just work on the speed.’ So his body weight’s going to be a little lower this year, which will be good. He’ll be around 212, which will allow him to be faster. So I think his speed’s going to be a little closer to his first or second year than it was in his third or fourth."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":jd5drdj2 said:
“His weight will fluctuate,” Huard said of Wilson. “I think he will be a 210-225 guy, and I think he’ll be a bigger guy when he’s done (with the game). Quite honestly, would I rather have him be a 200- or 205-pound guy year round? No. I’d rather have him be able to absorb a lot of the hits that he’s taken.”

Pretty much to prevent injury, but I guess that didn't help when it comes to your legs though. The weight could also be the reason why his runs don't look as explosive as when he was lighter.

The thing I miss about Wilson is when we are in the redzone he would take the chance to run it in, but the last few years he opted to try and pass even though it looked like he had a clear lane.

Source: http://sports.mynorthwest.com/106129/br ... ood-thing/

The beating his body took early last season & the two years prior was probably the catalyst, I think there's a good chance that he thought that if he were going to be around for very long, that he'd have to bulk his body up to more closely resemble a RB.
Since Lynch retired, and Cable re-configuring the O-Line's duties, the Run Game has been pretty sporadic, that dramatically shifts the load onto Wilson.
There's a few folks that are dogging on Wilson for what they perceive as a lack of growth, or his inability to see over his O-Linemen, OR, go off on either the crappy play of a very green O-Line, Bevell's shitty play-calls, or the Receivers not making some routine catches, when the truth is, it's the sum of all those moving parts not jiving.
LOL, I would like to ask some of them if they had their rathers, would they like being the Windshield, or would they prefer being the Bug. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrt144

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1fiqwr92 said:
The pessimist in me thinks it is because he blew off his training regimen due to being in love.

A 60 minute workout is a 60 minute workout

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, first incomplete pass on Saturday and you'll hear some comment about Ciera. Because clearly getting married has made him fat and play at a lower level. :roll:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He doesn't look very different to me than he has in the last couple of years. I don't know what the OP is concerned about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13pzuz87 said:
He doesn't look very different to me than he has in the last couple of years. I don't know what the OP is concerned about.

Other than the high ankle sprain, mangled knee and gigantic knee brace. I wonder if those minor things could contribute to a QB's mobility and speed?

Gotta be his wife, kid and extra cheeseburgers!

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nwrt5v1 said:
Hasselbeck":1nwrt5v1 said:

Other than the high ankle sprain, mangled knee and gigantic knee brace. I wonder if those minor things could contribute to a QB's mobility and speed?

Gotta be his wife, kid and extra cheeseburgers!

Now that Dick's accepts debit cards, RW is donezo.