The lack of 2nd Half Adjustments this season....

2_0_6

Reaction score
Since Pete has been the coach it seems like no matter how bad a first half we had, during halftime, adjustments are made on both sides of the ball and we come out with a better plan and start clicking. Maybe its just me, but this season it seems like that has gone away. This season has been just "different" from game one on.

Anyone agree?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":t840jykf said:
Since Pete has been the coach it seems like no matter how bad a first half we had, during halftime, adjustments are made on both sides of the ball and we come out with a better plan and start clicking. Maybe its just me, but this season it seems like that has gone away. This season has been just "different" from game one on.

Anyone agree?

Yes, the coaching has not been as consistently sharp. I never considered Carroll a "brilliant" coach tactically, but rather a remarkably gifted manager of personalities which at the professional level, is likely more than half the battle for any coach.

Once those personalities stop reacting positively to such a coach, though, issues often arise and I fear Pete has been dealing with something along those lines all season. His attitude, and the attitude of the Hawks are, as you said, "different" this season.

TaFeargOrm

Reaction score
I believe a lot of those adjustments come from the coordinators with head coach input. Quinn was great at it and you can see his work coming around in Atlanta. Pete gives the direction but the coordinators and position coaches get into the nuts and bolts.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Have you got 1st-half vs 2nd-half stats to demonstrate this, for both Offense and Defense, compared to previous years?

Optimus25

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1x8ujnmg said:
Have you got 1st-half vs 2nd-half stats to demonstrate this, for both Offense and Defense, compared to previous years?

The eye test works fine for me.

If our offense sucks in the first half this year, it usually seems to suck in the second. No stats needed.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Optimus25":2rhmdo3v said:
LeftHandSmoke":2rhmdo3v said:

If our offense sucks in the first half this year, it usually seems to suck in the second. No stats needed.
The OP suggested that we used to click relatively better in the second half than in the first half. Up until this year, due to "lack of 2nd Half Adjustments."

If we are indeed performing better this year in the first half compared to in the second half, then it actually points to a measure of success against a goal that PC spoke of during this past offseason.

My guess: It's a mix. For example, we probably ran with more success in second-halves of recent years than this year. Stats would show far better than "The eye test works fine for me" if there really are clear trends.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
Optimus25":2aoah3zy said:
LeftHandSmoke":2aoah3zy said:

Indeed

Boycie

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1qjhzsw9 said:
Optimus25":1qjhzsw9 said:
LeftHandSmoke":1qjhzsw9 said:

The OP suggested that we used to click relatively better in the second half than in the first half. Up until this year, due to "lack of 2nd Half Adjustments."

If we are indeed performing better this year in the first half compared to in the second half, then it actually points to a measure of success against a goal that PC spoke of during this past offseason.

My guess: It's a mix. For example, we probably ran with more success in second-halves of recent years than this year. Stats would show far better than "The eye test works fine for me" if there really are clear trends.

I think the OP is spot on. I have watched games this year, and was confident that we would come out and take over in the 2nd half like we always have done, but we didn't.

We have always been better in the 2nd half of games because of half time adjustments. Although, with the lack of running game, maybe we just aren't wearing down defenses like we used to?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Optimus25":1okc4n0y said:
LeftHandSmoke":1okc4n0y said:

Outside of Sunday though, the offense stunk largely because of horrid OL play. So not many adjustments can really fix that.

Sunday - a lot of the offensive woes were on our quarterback. Short of benching him, how do you adjust for an off night? You really don't.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2vgocc2q said:
LeftHandSmoke":2vgocc2q said:
Optimus25":2vgocc2q said:
LeftHandSmoke":2vgocc2q said:

I think the OP is spot on. I have watched games this year, and was confident that we would come out and take over in the 2nd half like we always have done, but we didn't.

We have always been better in the 2nd half of games because of half time adjustments. Although, with the lack of running game, maybe we just aren't wearing down defenses like we used to?
Maybe. But a glaring example of the opposite case was (iirc?) the Panthers game where we spotted them 14 early but completely shut them out in the final three quarters, and scored 21 in the 2nd and 3rd.

hawkeyerob

Reaction score
According to this site: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... 2016-12-15

Defensively in 2016 the Seahawks are allowing 9.3 pts in the first half, 8.3 in the second.
In 2015, 9.2 in the first half, 8.1 in the second. So the Seahawks were slightly better overall last year, but pretty much the same from an adjustment standpoint (if you take points as an indication of that).

Offensively in 2016, 13.2 in the first half, 7.6 in the second half (30th in the league for second half points)
In 2015, 11.4 in the first half, 14.0 in the second (3rd in the league). So offensively, the Seahawks are much worse in the second half this year.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
hawkeyerob":2eq6t3l3 said:
According to this site: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... 2016-12-15

Defensively in 2016 the Seahawks are allowing 9.3 pts in the first half, 8.3 in the second.
In 2015, 9.2 in the first half, 8.1 in the second. So the Seahawks were slightly better overall last year, but pretty much the same from an adjustment standpoint (if you take points as an indication of that).

Offensively in 2016, 13.2 in the first half, 7.6 in the second half (30th in the league for second half points)
In 2015, 11.4 in the first half, 14.0 in the second (3rd in the league). So offensively, the Seahawks are much worse in the second half this year.
Yes, worse. But ~relatively~ between the 1st half and 2nd half this year on offense, they are scoring earlier this year than last year. Which, again, was a stated goal going in.

Reaction score
In 2015, 11.4 in the first half, 14.0 in the second (3rd in the league). So offensively, the Seahawks are much worse in the second half this year.[/quote]
Thats unacceptable for the second half that makes me want to throw up! That sucks to be perfectly honest!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pete is not an Xs & Os guy. The bulk of his success has been built on running easily repeatable systems and having better players top to bottom to plug and play. He won us a super owl using this forula. Unfortunately injuries and cap attrition have taken away the talent advantage we enjoyed over most of the league. With a few core players occupying the bulk of our cap we are completely hosed if more than one of them is lost for considerable time. This is the NFL and injuries are guaranteed to occur. We don't have the ability to adjust as well as some other staffs do.

Latest posts