Funny thing is, we won last week NET still went ballistic

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think in the 10, 11 years that I've been here I've ever seen that. At least not to that degree.

Is everyone expecting worry free wins from this team?

I have a theory that Seahawks fans have "beaten dog syndrome" that we've been beat so much, that now even though we have a great team, every time someone reaches down to pet us, we flinch.

I dunno. But I don't "blame" anyone for this loss. I do hold a grudge against Philly for injuring so many of our players.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":2tg5oxuc said:
I don't think in the 10, 11 years that I've been here I've ever seen that. At least not to that degree.

Is everyone expecting worry free wins from this team?

I have a theory that Seahawks fans have "beaten dog syndrome" that we've been beat so much, that now even though we have a great team, every time someone reaches down to pet us, we flinch.

I dunno. But I don't "blame" anyone for this loss. I do hold a grudge against Philly for injuring so many of our players.

.Net didn't get ballistic people just want more consistency out of the offense and the ability to put teams away. I'm honestly trying to figure out why it is such a crime here too want the best out of the team? Do people like to be "pretty good" but not great, that's what it seems like sometimes.

It honestly baffles me. But I guess that's also just the coach speak in me.

It isn't a requirement to keep every game close, nor should it be. People get frustrated, people are attached to the team, it's a pride thing.

I feel like I explain this every week and we still get people harping on others for talking about the team a certain way, it's a forum board.

Smellyman

Reaction score
C'mon fellas. The Hawks won LAST week.

The 3 offensive points today don't matter.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't care if they get upset over a win, I just don't understand it. No team wins by large margins week in and week out. That's because of the salary cap. There are a lot of damn good teams out there, and Philly is one of them.

This team has been dealing with more offensive line injuries and turnover, so it's hard to expect consistency.

Every time we get a good OLine player, he goes somewhere else for more money. Can't blame the front office for that.

And to expect big wins every week in the NFL is unreasonable. Even the Patriots, who have HOF HC and QB, barely beat the lowly Jets today.

The most a fan can hope for every year is the playoffs. because no team wins the Superbowl every year.

I say, be happy over a win, stop looking for something to criticize. "Yeah we won, but..."

But if you want to find issues with a winning record, have at it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
There's just a handful of the usual bellyachers on here that think they're smarter than our coaching staff and have the unrealistic expectation that we're going to go 16-0 every year while scoring 40 points a game. They have the right to do that, but I see them as novices to understanding the complexities of the game. Sixteen fanbases around the league this week likely blamed their offensive coordinator. How original.
But the NFL is a big-picture animal and we're currently in second place in the NFC with 3 home games remaining on our schedule. That looks pretty good to me.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1gzkhbqd said:
There's just a handful of the usual bellyachers on here that think they're smarter than our coaching staff and have the unrealistic expectation that we're going to go 16-0 every year while scoring 40 points a game. They have the right to do that, but I see them as novices to understanding the complexities of the game. Sixteen fanbases around the league this week likely blamed their offensive coordinator. How original.
But the NFL is a big-picture animal and we're currently in second place in the NFC with 3 home games remaining on our schedule. That looks pretty good to me.

It's really remarkable how more fans don't realize this.

Excellent post.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think most people get it but there is nothing wrong with fans complaining or wanting better from coaches and/or players....its a part of being a fan. I agree that things look great right now and I'm still confident this is a SB team but I don't fault people for venting or letting off steam after a loss. Everyone who claims they never question a call, a coaching decision, a players effort I would love to sit down and watch a game wiht, I'm guessing everyone is guilty of it at times.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm with you Ivo. Iv'e been around here since 2002, and I've never seen it like this. That's one of the reasons so many people have bolted. A lot of our really football educated posters left, so we have less than what you can count on one hand of true x's and O's guys.

Then you have antagonistic stalkers that follow people around and try to push their buttons. I wish those people would get a permaban. They never offer anything worthwhile in any forum.

There is a difference between debating a topic and trying to berate someone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Isn't this common with every fanbase that has had sustained success and championships?

I mean, we all hate on Patriot fans cause they're obnoxious and have over inflated opinions and expectations about their team............but I see a LOT of the same fan traits here, and within my own friend circles.

Pete has said it best many many times. This is the NFL, it's hard to win.

I only get mad when we don't play up to the level of what our players are capable of, like yesterday. Uncharacteristic execution, like Russell throwing picks and overthrowing people, Sherman not making plays and getting burned......stuff like that. Losses happen, but shouldn't if we play up to the level we're capable of.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are moments when, even when the team wins, clear chinks in the armor show.

The offense not producing is still a huge issue, the defense has been called upon to save game after game and the offense, with a wide array of top tier weapons - barely produces.

Now the question is, should we expect anything from this offense when we consider just how gutted a key element of ANY successful offense is? It is not reasonable to expect production when the OL, a key impediment to the defense, is so substandard.

The question is whether smart offensive playcalling can overcome this egregiously bad FO decisioning? I get you cannot pay everyone, but you have to pay at least a reasonable amount for a reasonably effective OL. Trying to game your way around that ends in injured offensive players (check) and offensive failures (check).

So pointing that out even when we win, is shouldn't be unreasonable. We have all watched other teams that had a lot of the pieces but were just permanently behind the 8 ball because of a poor offensive line (usually because of injuries, I have never before seen a team do this to itself ON PURPOSE...but apparently we did).

That said, win and losses seem to have a common thread of some real head scratchingly inconsistent offensive executon or gameplanning. That is on the OC but even a good OC would struggle with these pieces. I just firmly believe that our current OC would squander away wins with much more pieces anyway.

I think the 'going ballistic' after a win is more a symptom of people realizing that even when we win in spite of the problems, those problems are going to be glaring issues we will later likely re-encounter on our run toward or through the playoffs.

But I thought we would be a just above .500 team with those issues and somehow we managed to claw our way near the top in spite of all the problems on offense. Maybe we can still do it, but things do have a tendency to revert back to the mean over time.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ui0xw01 said:
Isn't this common with every fanbase that has had sustained success and championships?

I mean, we all hate on Patriot fans cause they're obnoxious and have over inflated opinions and expectations about their team............but I see a LOT of the same fan traits here, and within my own friend circles.

I only get mad when we don't play up to the level of what our players are capable of, like yesterday. Uncharacteristic execution, like Russell throwing picks and overthrowing people, Sherman not making plays and getting burned......stuff like that. Losses happen, but shouldn't if we play up to the level we're capable of.

Success over the last few years has really raised the bar. It's interesting to talk about what they should have done better, but if that carries into real anger then I wonder if people are enjoying themselves. If you can't have fun unless things really come together you are likely to be unhappy.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
When we don't score an offensive TD in 3 games this year, and the total points scored those three games is 14... I'm going to complain, vent, and be concerned. This is where I come to vent because none of my friends are Hawks fans. So big deal if we are not all sunshine and rainbows and I'm not positive Pete's on days like yesterday. On paper this team is amazing. And I think their receiving core and offense is amazing! But I also think right now, at times, we are highly underperforming. So if some of us post our frustrations on a FORUM, big deal. I get we won't win everygame, but at leeeeeast throw for more than 1 yard in the first half? Don't come out and tell me "we had some great battles out there and we just need to get better" that's what practice and the pre-season are for. Just look like the team we all know they are! We are in a Super Bowl window right now and everyone knows it. I think that adds to the frustration as well. This is just a forum where I get my theropy knowing there are others with the same questions and concerns.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I feel like the people who get upset or are critical over/of people getting upset or being critical even when we win, are suffering from the same issues. Why do we care if someone expresses additional concerns, even after a win? Maybe we can't control that reaction any more than they can for theirs. Something to think about.

Likely, it's all rooted in the frustrations we have from not scoring points or not putting teams away when we all know we are capable of more.

Rat

Reaction score
A lot of people on here seem to enjoy losses, so they can get on their high horse, feign shock that some are having emotional reactions, and brag that they're more rational than everyone else. It's not worse than it ever was, it's the same that it is with every fan base, every year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":32r3vnui said:
Sgt. Largent":32r3vnui said:

Success over the last few years has really raised the bar. It's interesting to talk about what they should have done better, but if that carries into real anger then I wonder if people are enjoying themselves. If you can't have fun unless things really come together you are likely to be unhappy.

Of course, you have to have fun no matter what with sports.................cause in the end only one fanbase is happy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And Hawks fans have become spoiled, it comes with winning. If they don't win by 7 touchdowns, it's not good enough for a lot of people. More concerned with HOW they win than if they get a win. Oh well, to each his/her own.

RCATES

Reaction score
Being out-coached / out-played / less prepared and dominated by a inferior team in week 11. I'd say there is absolutely nothing wrong with being disappointed with our teams efforts this week. If this happened in week 2 or 3 I'd honestly be not as upset. Week 11 though. Yikes!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smellyman":1yqm59ts said:
C'mon fellas. The Hawks won LAST week.

The 3 offensive points today don't matter.

They won 6 other times as well, compared to 3 times they lost.

That's how a team gets into the playoffs, by the way. Did you know that? Fascinating.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25lmv3y6 said:
And Hawks fans have become spoiled, it comes with winning. If they don't win by 7 touchdowns, it's not good enough for a lot of people. More concerned with HOW they win than if they get a win. Oh well, to each his/her own.

I'd amend your statement to "newer" fans. I don't want to call them bandwagon fans, cause that's a negative term..........but it's true.

I know cause the group I watch the games with are comprised of 3-4 old school fans like me who remember the 2-14 season, and all the terrible seasons inbetween, and about 10 fans that didn't give a rat's ass about watching the Hawks until 2013.

THOSE are the fans that are spoiled and get all confused when we don't score on every possession and win 35-10. Cause all they know is the SB year and forward.