"Our offensive line isn't that bad."

Rob12

Reaction score
I've been reading this quite a bit lately.

I've never been one to harp negatively on our offensive line. I get the philosophy of going cheap on the line so that the Seahawks can pay big bucks to the skill positions. And, it's worked.

But I do think our offensive line is the worst it's been in a while. One stat that has me believing this is the adjustments Russell Wilson has made to his game. Traditionally, Wilson held on to the ball far too long, and that created a lot of problems for himself. This season, he has pretty much fixed that. On average, Wilson is getting the ball out in 2.4 seconds, which is lightning quick. There is only one QB who gets it out faster. Aside from the injuries, I think Wilson knowing that he has to get the ball out has disrupted his accuracy and he does seem off on throws that he used to make with his eyes closed. He is also taking less deep shots down the field (I have nothing concrete to back this claim up other than what I remember from watching the games).

Yet, despite getting the ball out very quickly, Wilson is still the most hit QB in the NFL. Defenders get their hands on him on 50 percent of his drop backs. And with that, we've seen him get the most banged up he's ever been. Against the Niners, he was trying to be vintage Wilson by trying to extend a dead play and he got himself hurt. But the other injuries seem to be a direct result of poor offensive line play.

PFF may say that the Seahawks have an upper third pass protecting line, but I can't see how that's true when looking at how quick Wilson gets the ball out and how often he is hit. It's apparent that the line can't effectively run block. They get little push and on passing downs they overcompensate and get flagged.

I got questioned on here when I suggested that Wilson sit a few weeks back. Basically, me and a few others got the, "You must be a spoiled, new fan. You want to BENCH Wilson?" Except, that wasn't it at all. My reasoning for wanting Wilson to sit was so he could get healthy. It was honestly very concerning to me to see him laboring out there, clearly affected by his injuries, and getting hit or knocked down on every other drop back. I think we're hopefully in the clear now and things change tonight. I do think Wilson is getting healthier with each new week.

It's hard for me to believe, when talking about our offense, that another second half resurgence is on the way. I think they have the ability to be adequate enough, but the offensive line has to grow up - quick. With no running game to speak of, this team needs to find a spark as no defense fears our offense right now.

I don't know what the answers are, and again, I've never been one to incessantly rip our offensive line. But I think the, "They're not that bad" belief is flat out wrong. I think this is the worst overall performing line that we've had in the PCJS era. Wasn't it Mathieu that said every team knows that the line can't protect Wilson? Defenses feed on that. I just hope change in some form comes soon.

Jville

Reaction score
The statement ...... "They're not that bad" belief is flat out wrong ... would be a far more honest title that would accurately representative OP content.

With regards to the content, I get that this is a reminder that your are locked into your view.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Jville":29zgaydn said:
The statement ...... "They're not that bad" belief is flat out wrong ... would be a far more honest title that would accurately representative OP content.

With regards to the content, I get that this is a reminder that your are locked into your view.

Ball out in 2.4 seconds.

Hit on 50 percent of his drop backs.

Sustained more injuries than he ever has before.

Locked into what "view" exactly? These are facts.

How do you reconcile that?

And the title is just fine. Putting it in quotes obviously indicates I was going to challenge that assertion.

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: Hey, its your thread and agenda.

I was just attempting to suggest something other than a bait and switch title. Something more reflective of the actual content.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I will say that some of the blame has to fall on WIlson as his pocket awareness is probably the worst part of his game. There were at least two times I can recall against the Saints where he had a clean pocket to step into but he actually bailed out INTO the pressure. Also teams know the threat of Wilson taking off is minimal so they can tee off on him - add in an average at best running game and there you go.
Not saying our OL has played well - because they haven't, but it is an oversimplification to say the OL sucks.
The blame is shared between OL, QB and OC IMO.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Jville":3uggqp79 said:

I was just attempting to suggest something other than a bait and switch title. Something more reflective of the actual content.

Okay. I don't bait and switch, but okay.

My agenda is only hoping this line gets better.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Jville":fac0exqp said:

Rather than critiquing what people post, why not offer your two cents? Or do you click on posts only to judge thread titles or the topics people post about? I asked a pretty straightforward question to you, or at least I think I did.

Largent80

Reaction score
Dallas' O-Line is good because of their 3 first round draft picks. Dak, and Elliott are the beneficiaries of that line, and I'm not saying they aren't good, but if they were behind our line, their numbers would suffer dramatically.

We aren't running well this year because RW can't run, so it's probably not as bad of a line as it seems.

justafan

Reaction score
I disagree with the thought that going cheap on the oline has worked.

We went to the SB twice with a large investment in draft capitol and money to the Oline.After the FO decided to not pay Okung,Carp,Breno and Unger in favor of players like Graham and Harvin we started going backwards.
We have been a middle of the pack running team without Wilsons yards added in the last 3 years.This year our running game has hit bottom.

No team has it all but going into the season with the tackles we had wasnt the right decision.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Looks to me like, even in the past few years with questionable talent, our O-line came into games with the "we are gonna beat on you for 4 full quarters" mentality. This year, it would appear we have folks on the line that "want" to beat on you but are being coached into more of a finesse type scheme.

Time to turn our big dogs loose.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good post, and to me some posters are caught in a chicken or the egg inner debate with themselves.

Is the line bad cause Russell's hurt and our RB's aren't that good? Or did Russell get hurt and our run game stinks because the line is bad?

IMO it's not a debate, this line is bad, very bad. All time franchise bad. They can't run block, they can't pass block........and Russell's injuries are only magnifying those glaring deficiencies.

75% of the QB's in this league aren't very mobile. So the Russell's hurt excuse doesn't work for me. If they could pass pro then every game should look like the Jets game, with Russell having time to throw............and not the Cardinals game where it looked like the Cards front seven was playing against a junior high team.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Can't run the ball. Seven yards for our running backs. Defenders in Wilson's face immediately on 12 drop backs tonight (that I could count).

Everything is all good, right J?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
justafan":2wj3vn1o said:
I disagree with the thought that going cheap on the oline has worked.

We went to the SB twice with a large investment in draft capitol and money to the Oline.After the FO decided to not pay Okung,Carp,Breno and Unger in favor of players like Graham and Harvin we started going backwards.
We have been a middle of the pack running team without Wilsons yards added in the last 3 years.This year our running game has hit bottom.

No team has it all but going into the season with the tackles we had wasnt the right decision.

I meant spending big on skill players has worked.

justafan

Reaction score
It hasnt worked.We have spent between 30 and 40 Mil plus 2 first round picks on Graham and Harvin.That would have gone a long way towards the Oline.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
At least Fant showed some upside. He's a young player growing into the LT spot. He's too light currently, especially in his lower half, so will have to bulk up if he's going to be able anchor. Far too easily bull rushed last night and it impacted the pocket. Fant was consistently pushed back into Russell.

Gilliam... I don't know what happened there. He has really regressed this year. Wouldn't mind seeing Sowell at RT.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rob12":1kce1esr said:
Jville":1kce1esr said:

Ball out in 2.4 seconds.

Hit on 50 percent of his drop backs.

Sustained more injuries than he ever has before.

Locked into what "view" exactly? These are facts.

How do you reconcile that?

And the title is just fine. Putting it in quotes obviously indicates I was going to challenge that assertion.

Some interesting additional facts...

Wilson's first injury came on a bad play by LG Mark Glowinski, whom everyone generally considers to have been one of the bright spots on this line. Even the best guys have bad plays. It's also worth mentioning that Glow was starting his first game, against Ndamukong Suh.

Wilson's second injury came from trying to extend a play, which isn't on the OL. It's a risk associated with his style of play.

Wilson's third injury (the pec thing) was probably from a hit allowed by Bradley Sowell, who is probably replacement-level. That's the one area that can't really be disputed as being bad. Where I will handily criticize the OL is the penalties (of which there were almost none against the Bills' star-studded defensive line, I might add).

Calling the whole OL bad is like calling our receiving corps bad just because anyone not named Jimmy Graham or Doug Baldwin is getting mostly ignored. We should be more specific with our criticism. There's rumbling of Justin Britt going to the Pro Bowl, for Pete's sake.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
What would the reaction be if I said that this offensive line will bring the Seahawks a super bowl title within 1-2 years?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":113unokh said:
What would the reaction be if I said that this offensive line will bring the Seahawks a super bowl title within 1-2 years?

Meaning what? Simply that the team will win a SB with the current OL or that the team will win a SB because the OL is a strength?

StoneCold

Reaction score
After last night I am more inclined to say our Oline is bad. No holes to run through. Getting pushed back 1 to 2 yards on run plays. I hope they get better.

I will also say that Buffalo is a beast.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":gwo2w4gw said:
We would attempt to get you in to a good drug rehab program.