Whats going to happen to this O line in the playoffs?

RussB

Reaction score
Now im not trying to look to far ahead, but assuming seahawks make the playoffs again. Whats going to happen when they face an elite D line like the vikings? I dont trust someone like fant or sowell blocking minnies edge rushers at all, wilson could get badly hurt. It might look like the 1st quarter of of the carolina game last year were the o line got shredded early on and the team fell behind quick.

They seriously need to get it together and maybe look to atleast pick up joe staley from the niners. Because when its january it might be too late the o line will most likely get demolished. They need to do something ASAP.

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: Stop it!

Redirect some thought into the journey!

Why advocate fast forwarding?

Life is short.

Many of us are not in a hurry to get to the end.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Jville":22zsw4m1 said:

Life is short.

Not trying to do that. Im just legitimately concerned for the offensive line later on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If they don't get better or we trade for a good LT? Then what you saw Sunday night is what's going to happen.

This version of the O-line, even when healthy other than Britt and Ifedi 50% of the time is no match for good front 7's. Too slow, too green and too mediocre to handle elite pass rushers and tackles.

That's the sad part, we just need them to be average! Hell I'd take ranked somewhere in the 20's! Just don't be the WORST and with this D we could go deep.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I actually have some hope that by playoff time Fant could be decent.

Jville

Reaction score
RussB":2s9xq1ry said:
Jville":2s9xq1ry said:

Life is short.

Not trying to do that. Im just legitimately concerned for the offensive line later on.
Ok ...... just my attempt at humor.

The Seahawk theme is about focusing on getting better one day at a time in support of the goal of improving one game at a time. Near term results make themselves evident with each succeeding game. So, the outcome of that daily effort makes itself apparent going forward. Growth in performance is where the intrigue of this season's campaign lies.

Since none of us, as fans, have any control over the internal efforts of the team, this fan advocates enjoying the ride.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Luckily, the playoff teams other than Minn don't have great front lines do they?
Dallas
Atlanta
Greenbay

Maybe Phil and Minn do.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RussB working his hardest to keep duplicate thread topics alive...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is a very young line (again). And not unlike last year -- or really any year for any team that has a young line, that unit is going to look very different in week 14 than it does in week 6.

This is going to take time. We knew that going in. And honestly, this unit has been inconsistent. Which in my mind is actually good. Because we have seen flashes of quality. And flashes of youthful inconsistency. The latter I fully expect to improve as the season wears on.

This unit has talent. They've shown it. They have work to do but it's very reasonable to expect the edges to get smoothed as the season progresses.

We can revisit mid December when our final division games loom. By then we'll know if we're in real trouble. But right now we're getting what we should have rightly expected and at least seeing some good quality of what *should* be in store for us on the horizon.

Most of the talent and veteran experience is on the defensive side. They have to carry the team until the young guys get up to par. Every team has to do this. Even the Patriots are doing this. And definitely the Vikings are doing this with their replacement level O line options they are trotting out.

We are not alone in having an Achilles heel. We just don't recognize other teams' limitations because we don't follow them. But they have them too.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
How about sending the #1 it would take to get Staley from SF and the #2 it would take to get Thomas from Cleveland? Immediately upgrades the line. Please don't tell me about the salary cap restrictions! A guy can dream can't he??!!

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1btcetuc said:
If they don't get better or we trade for a good LT? Then what you saw Sunday night is what's going to happen.

This version of the O-line, even when healthy other than Britt and Ifedi 50% of the time is no match for good front 7's. Too slow, too green and too mediocre to handle elite pass rushers and tackles.

That's the sad part, we just need them to be average! Hell I'd take ranked somewhere in the 20's! Just don't be the WORST and with this D we could go deep.
Yea thats the way i see it. Unless they take major strides this o line will get exposed. Shame that such a great team has such a terrible line, its the true achilles heal. They really are below average.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":qbfjl2ia said:
How about sending the #1 it would take to get Staley from SF and the #2 it would take to get Thomas from Cleveland? Immediately upgrades the line. Please don't tell me about the salary cap restrictions! A guy can dream can't he??!!
Staley is still available, browns arent trading thomas anymore . Even staley would be a huge plus though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I should of read the previous posts but I'm on a time crunch. My guess is against avg. defenses this offense will roll and the Seahawks will roll in general. If you front can't get pressure on Wilson the chances of beating the Seahawks with our defense and Wilson with time to set up is almost none. Games against Az, Minn etc will probably be similar to the playoff game last year and the AZ game....low scoring defensive struggles. I still like our chances to win the whole thing but this is what it is if the line doesn't get any better.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
This is why we need to get HFA. Id much rather play Minny and anyone else in the Clink.

But gotta hope the line gels like in seasons past.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This OL right now ? We'd get bounced.

Thank God the playoffs aren't for another 10 weeks and the OL can continue to get better. You know, kinda like the last 3 or 4 years ?

You would think people would see the pattern and not freak out about it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":1c85huzr said:

Thank God the playoffs aren't for another 10 weeks and the OL can continue to get better. You know, kinda like the last 3 or 4 years ?

I hope you're right, but this trend feels different than in years past.......especially is Sowell takes a month to get right and we have to watch Fant struggle even worse at the most important position on the line.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Hawks46":1nyp8yxi said:

Remember last year? When the o line got better in the second half of the season, but then got manhandled at carolina? That could happen again. They can get by average D lines, its going to be bad when they face an elite one if they dont drastically improve, they need to be better than last year. Hope it happens.

Jville

Reaction score
If you really need something to worry about, consider the threat of “Internet of Things” (IoT) devices crashing the 21st century.

erik2690

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/791015691784773632[/tweet]

That's not good. Russ is trying to get the ball out quick and is still getting a high pressure rate and then at least on Sunday there were several times it was successful for nice chunks that got called back on penalties.