Try To Keep This In Mind

Chapow

Reaction score
The next time you want to blast one of our players for holding out, or not taking a "hometown discount", or taking a better deal with another team, try to keep in mind why they are doing that. Chris Carson is just the most recent example, but there have been many. Any time a player takes the field, it could all be over just like that. These guys never know when their careers will be over. They have to maximize their earnings while they can because next season is never guaranteed. If they don't, they might not get another chance.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
No question, that is their right.

It is also the team's right to withhold additional earnings while said player holds out.

Fun kind of financial cat-and-mouse game they play, like financial football.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hometown discount? It’s all up to them because they are not under contract.

Holding out while under contract? A bitch move to not honor what they have already agreed to.
Dude, it's a league where contracts are hardly ever honored in full by the organizations crafting them. It's a necessary check to keep the balance of power at least a little balanced.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Dude, it's a league where contracts are hardly ever honored in full by the organizations crafting them. It's a necessary check to keep the balance of power at least a little balanced.
Hey Player x, we have a lot of cap space this year but won’t in three years. We are going to give you a frontloaded contract for cap reasons. You’ll get overpaid this year but it will balance out at the end.

Player X: hey it’s year 3 and I am underpaid. I am not showing up until I get a new deal.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hey Player x, we have a lot of cap space this year but won’t in three years. We are going to give you a frontloaded contract for cap reasons. You’ll get overpaid this year but it will balance out at the end.

Player X: hey it’s year 3 and I am underpaid. I am not showing up until I get a new deal.
The team should've expected this when* offering a front-loaded contract for cap reasons. There's the tradeoff of the player having the ability to refuse to play for free. Players with enough talent to leverage this should. It keeps the market fair.

*edited to fix this verbiage

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The team should've expected this when* offering a front-loaded contract for cap reasons. There's the tradeoff of the player having the ability to refuse to play for free. Players with enough talent to leverage this should. It keeps the market fair.

*edited to fix this verbiage
Yes, “expect“ players to not honor their signed agreement. You do you but I think that’s stupid.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yes, “expect“ players to not honor their signed agreement. You do you but I think that’s stupid.
Fair enough. I think it's a crucial part of how the market should operate in the NFL. The players have very little leverage overall in the scheme of things - they may as well exercise what they've got.

OP
OP
Chapow

Chapow

Reaction score
Hometown discount? It’s all up to them because they are not under contract.

Holding out while under contract? A bitch move to not honor what they have already agreed to.

How about when a team cuts a player that is still under contract? Is that a bitch move too? Because that is far more common in the NFL than player hold outs.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The player knows and factors in signing a guaranteed versus a non guaranteed contract. It’s not a secret and is factored into the price negotiation. It is a known and often expected option.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
How about when a team cuts a player that is still under contract? Is that a bitch move too? Because that is far more common in the NFL than player hold outs.
if you cut a payer still under contract you are obligated to still pay them. You may have missed that part.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
if you cut a payer still under contract you are obligated to still pay them. You may have missed that part.
True, but only that amount that is guaranteed.

Most players that are cut before the final 53 cutdown walk away with nothing.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score

Front loaded contracts are rare and usually done by the team so that they can easily cut the player in the last years of their contract without a huge dead cap hit.

Jimmy Garoppolo is a perfect example of this. Huge first year cap hit, but only a 1.5m cap hit if/when they cut him this year.

Players should max out their annual contract each and every year. If a team wants to front load a contract so they can easily cut them if they aren't performing up to amount owed then a player should be able to hold out when their play exceeds their annual pay.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
This frequently comes up and is frankly ridiculous. The law already covers this scenario and no player is surprised, and in all cases, the contract is honored whether the player is cut or not. When a player holds out, they are indeed legally in breach of contract and that is why in such cases salary can be withheld, and potentially, fines (as already outlined ahead of time in the said contract) could be applied. This is the reality of the situation, no different than someone striking on their job. They signed and understand what they signed, but disagree, so they willingly violate the agreement in the hopes they have enough leverage to get more than was agreed.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
A contract is only as binding as the level of punishment dealt for breaking that contract.

Every nfl player knows that. Every team knows that. If a team cuts a player early, they take the cap hit. If a player holds out, they don't get paid. Whether you think one is legal and one is breaking the contract is semantics.

sutz

Reaction score
Looks like DK is in camp. He'll probably "hold in" and be there for meetings and such but not doing any field work.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’m all and always have been for players getting paid their correct value.

With this being said, I’m glad Wilson isn’t going to get paid by the Seahawks again.

That diva moonlights as a team first guy but is one of the most high maintenance QBs in the league.

With that also being said, PAY DK! NOW!