Rushing/Passing yards this year compared to last

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This post is merely for discussion so please keep that in mind when responding.

I was looking at some of the Seahawks offensive numbers this year as compared to last. Currently, we average about 89 yards per game on the ground which is 25th in the league. This is nowhere near the mark of years past and specifically last year when we were 3rd in the league at 142 yards per game.

Now I'm aware we've played some good defensive fronts, I'm aware we have no Marshawn and Rawls is still injured. I'm also aware our line is still a work in process.

I'm one of the mindset that while RB's are important, most teams do not have a game changer like Marshawn and thus it is more important to have a good run blocking line.

In regards to passing, it seems to me we've passed the ball a little more this year as we currently pass for 264 yards per game 11th in the league while we were at 237 yards per game last year and 20th overall.

Ever since Russell has been on the team we've been a run dominant team ranking at the top of the league almost every year and it seems like every year we've ranked in the bottom half of passing. I believe it's a good team identity because as we have all seen, run sets up so many other parts of the offense to have success over a game and even a year.

I guess my question is whats with the steep drop off in rushing yards per game outside of the obvious or is that all it is?

Do you think our offensive identity will change now because of the success RW and Jimmy Graham and even Baldwin for that matter are having?

What I hope is that we somehow figure out a way to get back to 100-yard rushing games at the very least.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
Two thoughts on this , 1. I don't think we are that far off after 5 games. We started slow last year and Rawls didn't real heat up until mid season. 2. I don't think RW has the mobility to add to those totals dealings with his injuries. I am not of the CM stinks can't wait for Rawls camp. I think we are going to be fine with either back.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hass2Carlson":1xws2igl said:
Two thoughts on this , 1. I don't think we are that far off after 5 games. We started slow last year and Rawls didn't real heat up until mid season. 2. I don't think RW has the mobility to add to those totals dealings with his injuries. I am not of the CM stinks can't wait for Rawls camp. I think we are going to be fine with either back.

I don't think there is anyone who is in a Cmike "stinks" camp,
I think there are those who think Rawls is a better overall back, is all.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RW is a serious threat running the ball and has not been able to do that as much due to his injury. That has had a major impact on the Seahawks rushing total. If RW was 100%, the totals would be significantly better.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkfan68":193stsaz said:
RW is a serious threat running the ball and has not been able to do that as much due to his injury. That has had a major impact on the Seahawks rushing total. If RW was 100%, the totals would be significantly better.

This is true, it's so easy to forget how Russell used to be able to get 60 yards of rushing in games. Hopefully that knee brace will be off soon.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Russell's running influence on overall run game. Stats from NFL.com.

Removing Russell's rushing total and the Hawks subsequent ranking.
2010 31st
2011 21st
2012 9th
2013 22nd
2014 12th
2015 18th
2016 28th

Ranking, including Russell's rushing
2010 31st
2011 21st
2012 3rd < Wilson arrives
2013 4th < Wilson arrives
2014 1st < Wilson arrives
2015 3rd < Wilson arrives
2016 25th

Hawks46

Reaction score
The other thing is that in the past, we haven't had the best receivers. Wilson was also learning his craft.

Wilson has proven that he can carry a team with his arm, and we have probably the best receiving group we've ever had, including Jimmy Graham.

So when you have that much talent on the edges: A. you use it, and B. passing the ball is much easier.

Pete's said repeatedly that we aren't a "run first" team and he wants to be balanced. With a relatively new OL, it seems we're passing a bit to open up the run. I think we'll be around 115 yards per game by the end of the season.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
lobohawk":3rvyg8b2 said:

2010 31st
2011 21st
2012 9th
2013 22nd
2014 12th
2015 18th
2016 28th

2010 31st
2011 21st
2016 25th

This also plays out when you look at stats through the first 5 games of the season since 2010

2010 - 85.8 avg ypg
2011 - 83
2012 - 140.2
2013 - 159
2014 - 161
2015 - 142.5
2016 - 88.8

A healthy Russell Wilson is a VITALLY important part of the running game. Certainly the changes in the OL contribute to the lower rushing totals.....but it is interesting that we are currently averaging MORE rushing ypg than 2011 through the first 5 games - with a healthy/prime Marshawn and an arguably better OL.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
lobohawk":3rr8z5ve said:

2010 31st
2011 21st
2012 9th
2013 22nd
2014 12th
2015 18th
2016 28th

2010 31st
2011 21st
2016 25th

Good stuff here, thanks.

Amazing looking at those numbers and the impact Russell has.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not a C-Mike hater either but I am losing confidence in him. He seems to make mental mistakes to often and they're of the WTF variety like last game where he ran for 9 yards on first and then shifted left instead of plowing forward for the first down. I suspect he thought he had a window if he could just get around a defender but all he accomplished was getting 9 yards and IIRC that drive stalled on that series. There were at least a couple other times I said WTF because of him but I can't remember the details right now. This is also not the first game he has mad mental errors.

We also chose to not go for it on 4th and inches in Atlanta's territory when a first could have been very beneficial and I get the feeling that was Pete's lack of confidence in C-Mike.

I think Wilson's mobility is a huge factor as it takes pressure off the RB and opens things up for him but I believe with a healthy Rawls or Lynch even with RW hurt, our running totals are much closer to even with passing and I think we go for it on that critical 4th and inches.

Looking at the history of C-Mike in the NFL I am starting to understand why he has been given up on so much. Unfortunately after 4 years if he hasn't figured it out yet I doubt he ever will.

I will say I love his burst and he looks like he has the talent to be a premier back in the league but as long as he continues to make dumb mistakes I don't see Pete ever trusting him.

I get the feeling we are going to see more and more of Collins as the season goes on and if it even starts to click for him, he will become the starter and C-Mike will be used in a back up role. Actually C-mike would be awesome in that role IMO.