Short-Sightedness

hinton

Reaction score
Firstly, great win. No matter how it's done it always feels good to win.

Frustratingly the last Falcons play call was all that was talked about by the commentary team here in the UK, and it brought back so many memories of the 'Fail Mary' game.

I'm hearing the word 'luck' thrown out far too much regarding this win.

Whether a flag should have been called for PI or not I can't say. I've seen them given before, I've equally seen them not given before. It didn't seem incredibly blatant to me.
I will say that the refs keeping their flags in their pockets seemed to benefit the Falcons o-line earlier in the down, yet that doesn't get mentioned.

Looking at the game objectively now the adrenaline has subsided a little, a few things seem clear to me:
  • - One team turned the ball over twice, the other did not.
  • - One team dominated for 3/4. The other team dominated for 1/4
  • - When the game was on the line only one teams O and D stepped up a gear.
  • - As I recall one team lead in every major category apart from passing yards.

Commentators focusing on only the final PI completely (and wrongly) ignores the other 58 minutes of gameplay, of which the Falcons were on top for only 15 of them. Incredibly similar to the 'Fail Mary' game where A-Rod was sacked 8 times, and a flag-fest helped GB get their only touchdown.

The game is about more than one play. This team not only beat the hottest team on the league, but we did it when blowing 4 points, having multiple blown coverages, a couple of key injuries, and following a bye week where we generally play poorly.

Not only that, but over 60 minutes in the cold light-of-day the Seahawks actually deserved this win.

No disrespect to the Falcons, they are a quality team that stuck around, but this Seahawks team earned it on the day. This was not a lucky win.

Oh yeah, Go Hawks!

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear the analysis behind your conclusion.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We played a really good team with the best offense in the league and who are without a doubt winning the NFC South and we won. No matter how we did it, we did it. 4-1, let's go Hawks!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Atlanta played well for one quarter...1 quarter.

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
Bobblehead":37h205io said:
Atlanta played well for one quarter...1 quarter.

Exactly, one quarter. And I'd have been more concerned if that quarter happened to be the 4th.

The Seahawks stepped up in the 4th today and turned the momentum back in our favour. Not many teams could stem the tide the Falcons got on.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
Lucky Win? Really!?!!?! How about the fact that we played without Kam, Frank Clark and Bennett. How come no one is talking about the face mask penalty (I believe on C-Mike) that the refs missed? Yes there were a couple plays with blown coverage but we dominated the first half and controlled the 4th quarter.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1em89e4h said:
That was a lucky win.
Luck is a stupid word.

The team that executes better and has more points at the end of the game wins.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2l29ahsw said:
TheRealDTM":2l29ahsw said:
That was a lucky win.
Luck is a stupid word.

I think if a Stealers fan told you this after Super Bowl XL* you would not accept it. We got the last break in what was a seesaw battle.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2w50rfpk said:
NFSeahawks628":2w50rfpk said:
TheRealDTM":2w50rfpk said:
That was a lucky win.
Luck is a stupid word.

We executed the best at the end in what was a seesaw battle.

FIFY, luck isn't a player for the Seahawks, its not a thing, you execute or you don't.

/thread. :177692:

Hawks46

Reaction score
LegendKiller":23cu5dxq said:
Lucky Win? Really!?!!?! How about the fact that we played without Kam, Frank Clark and Bennett. How come no one is talking about the face mask penalty (I believe on C-Mike) that the refs missed? Yes there were a couple plays with blown coverage but we dominated the first half and controlled the 4th quarter.

What is it about C Mike ? There have been 3 blatantly easy face mask calls just not called for him this year. Like, turning your head half way around face masks.

There were a few others, but for the most part the refs let the guys play. Do I think that play was PI on Sherman ? Yea. You can't hold a guy's arm down. The sad thing is that if he had played the ball and just gotten position in front of Jones, which he was in position to do, he could've just intercepted it.

Polaris

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2saryebs said:
NFSeahawks628":2saryebs said:
TheRealDTM":2saryebs said:
That was a lucky win.
Luck is a stupid word.

I think if a Stealers fan told you this after Super Bowl XL* you would not accept it. We got the last break in what was a seesaw battle.

I wouldn't go there. By the book should Sherm have been called for DPI on Atlanta's last play? Probably. I thought it was a clever, veteran move on what was essentially a Hail Mary, and the officials either didn't see it, or let it slide. Either way, it was not the only call (or non-call) that might have gone the other way for either team by a long chalk. Point in fact, Seattle won the game and Atlanta didn't (by quarters of domination, by turnover margin, ect). I challenge any fair minded person to look at the entire game film and tell me the officiating favored either team over the entire course of the game (right or wrong).

That was quite different from XL where the officiating DID favor one team over another (and that could be shown quantitatively....as Football Outsiders did at the time). Games where there is actual and decisively officiating bias are very rare (far rarely than most fans like to admit), but XL was certainly one of these and has gone down in football infamy for this very reason.